Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sailing Right of Way
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostWed Aug 08, 07 12:06 pm     Reply with quote

have it your way

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Aug 08, 07 1:45 pm     Reply with quote

IMHO "When in Rome, do as Romans do". The Florence crew are top notch folk. . . just stay out of the lineup if your learning and or respect the roation. If your leaning just go downwind of the jetty about a 1/4 of a mile and everything should be fine.

Very Happy

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostWed Aug 08, 07 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

blowhard is not chad.. by the way pura vida..

pappas

Since 10 Jun 2007
58 Posts

PostWed Aug 08, 07 5:37 pm     Reply with quote

Sweet, saw a reference to Point Break... so I figured an appearance was appropriate.

Now I know where Brodie dissappeared to... Florence eh? Blowhard, um, er... I mean Brodie... Man you got some chips stacked on those shoulders eh? Are you related to that Penxa dude up in Seattle?

Rules of Right Away are not that difficult boys, get over yourselves and get a session... Plus, Brodie is so damn extreme that when he rides I would guess its not all that crowded anyway. Oh wait, somebody pissed in his Cherrios awhile back by posting some pictures!

Angelo...

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 08, 07 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

blowhards cool man...
i think you might just be mis-interpreting his tone... if they have a system that works, why mess with it? no one is tangling kites, or colliding.... seems cool to me.

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 09, 07 1:30 am     Reply with quote

It's all good in Florence. There is a definite flow which keeps everyone out of each others way. Basically, don't go plowing out in the middle of the sets when riders are lining up to mach down the line. It's a triangle, and so long as you're not out in the middle of everything all will be well. Blowhard and many others have been riding this pattern for many years. We do it because it works. It's just frustrating when a kiter (local or visiting) doesn't take the time to watch the flow and comes barreling out in the middle of everything. Tangled kites and swimming are not good things where we ride. Oh, and the waves get plenty big out here. Come in the Spring or late fall and see how small they are Wink

jetty2.JPG 

diggler

Since 26 Jun 2007
6 Posts

Kook

PostThu Aug 09, 07 11:50 am    me too - I'm out Reply with quote

I think if more people took the time to read other's posts carefully, this forum'd work better. Pura vida didn't say he was just going to 'do his own thing' as in crash the lineup or fuck up the rotation; the guy has repeatledly talked of repsecting the other rider, staying out of the way, and safety. Give the beginner a break and let him ride in peace - show him a better way if he's having a hard time and ruining someone's day. Anyway, he's not the one talking shit about tireslashing. Anyone find fault there(besides Blowmehard?). At least pura vida's checked out and his posts were coherent. Ride on, bro.

Registered, his point seemed to be that Blowmehard was not chad - reread his post 'cuz he had pretty good things to say when he mentioned the guy he'd launched and who'd schooled him in the 'way' at Florence. He insisted that Blowmehard hadn't talked to him. Who's being misinterpreted here? Blowmehard's tone seems clear, his intent may be misintpepreted by me and others. He may be cool, his tone isn't.

Blowmehard, you said you don't even know me, so how do you know I've only been there in summer? Delusions... And for ranting, check your posts. Since the early 90's I've been there on/off in most seasons. You're wrong. You're not the type to admit being incorrect, huh? I'm still laughing about 'the best rider has the most right of way'.

Catch florence on the right day and it's got nice sized waves but nothing to make a big name for itself in the quality, length, size, etc.

This is why I meet so many people who laugh about the forums and are like 'No way I get on; I just ride'. It's a good way for people to connect but there's so much negativity too. If someone gets on here and says something that might be challenging, the herd can really tear them apart, call them a retard, a 'kook'(how trendy do people need to be?). You can see the cliques, the people who ride together. But guys, it's a young sport, developing and I'm glad some of you are friendly and try to develop it. Better to have that than an unfriendly and localish sport. So props to those who do keep the peace(I hope the aggresive ones get pounded and learn not to fuck w/ people)! Signing off this post.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostThu Aug 09, 07 12:04 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
If someone gets on here and says something that might be challenging, the herd can really tear them apart, call them a retard, a 'kook'(how trendy do people need to be?). You can see the cliques, the people who ride together.

I agree, that you can get an idea on here of who rides together etc, and people almost always have a different attitude when they write something on the web.

Before I post, I try to think, would I actually say what I just wrote if I was talking to the guy in person? Food for thought.

I will say one thing though, i have had nothing but positive experiences from anyone I have met in person that posts on this forum. That to me is one of the great things about thsi sport. Even in a psot like this, I would bet that everyone posting here would be able to ride at a spot like Florence without a problem and chill out afterwards with some beer on the beach.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Aug 09, 07 4:53 pm     Reply with quote

i think the point being, if you come out thinking "i am going to ride back and forth where those red line are (in dcrowe's diagram), but it will be ok because i will keep an eye out for guys going down the line" then you are kidding yourself. if you tack back and forth endlessly there, you will be gumming up the works for everybody, no matter how aware you try to be.

if by "ride in the shallows" you mean down past where the end of dcrowe's triangle is, go for it. go 1/4 mile (or so) down from the jetty and you are free and clear.

if you really think it makes sense for 6-12 guys to be bummed so one guy doesn't have to ride 1/4 mile farther downwind, then you have a pretty selfish view of the world. but remember, some day you will get bored with going back and forth in the shallows and want to ride in the waves too, and then you'll understand the frustration.

and if you think florence is nothing special, then by all means ride elsewhere.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostThu Aug 09, 07 8:16 pm     Reply with quote

while reading forums my personal reading style is very impatient. I read it here and there and try to get the interesting stuff.

Tone is always interpreted through the words here right or wrong , especially if you do not know the peeps in the flesh.

however after reading some posters for years you do know what to expect from some and seem to know them with out directly communicating.

tone between people who know each other is often misread by others on the outside.

coheransy(sp?) in posts, well thats for others to interpret, because the author knows what he wants to say but often did not articulately spell it out plus the often half hastily read / interpretation (partially correct) .

Don't take the forum personally.

sentances longer than 5 words may be to much to read.

groups of sentances are harder to hastily read at work ect.

try to be nice Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

rights of way are basic so they can be broadcast over larger sets of circumstances and refined through history.

places will always have people who try to control them and people will always oppose that control.

its all natural and all GOOD

but sometimes people fight.. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

sorry bout the rambles.

J.F.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostFri Aug 10, 07 7:19 am     Reply with quote

Hey when I'm talkin smak here it's directed at my pals I ride with all the time.
I don't direct it at anyone I don't know, we all have a lot fun giving each other shit here, unless I say your id ,it's not for anyone I don't know please disregard.
RANT all you want but if you direct it to me I will respond.

I'm the first one to go against localism
I've made it very clear here many times.

My pal John and I who have been sailing (windsurf) this location for over 20 yrs., started kiting at Florence a few yrs. ago there was no rotation not even much wave riding and by doing the same thing over and over others have joined in.
The result is a coherent easy to follow pattern that we all enjoy as you can see by the number of happy campers posting here
No I'm not Chad I'm the guy right next to him between the guy from Hood riv, that watched him launch you
He told me you were going down the beach and wouldn't be a problem,
sorry for the mistaken identity .
I try to speak to most people that come by and help them understand what's up
I don't do it all the time like in the pure vida situaton where he is down the beach and not in HARMS way.
Almost never when there is waves because anyone who can ride waves knows the scoop
I never threaten anyone and don't consider violence as a method to use for anything
Getting ran into (it's happened to me )is a real situation when someone is focused on thier wave and thinking everyone else is out of the way and it's clear
When I say you will be dealt with it's others that I would not like to have screaming at you and believe me they do
and it really is a downer
like I said I'm not into being yelled at or yelling at others.

I'm sorry,
if you guys think somehow I've dissed you
but I don't know you so I'm not sure how I have done it
tire slashing and beatdowns are for folks who can't work things out
so far as I know that's all a myth(at least in Florence)
I never mentioned that,(surfers do)
it's bad enough when people are yelling at you out on the water.
The cool guy from H.R. was the last one I know of to yell at someone
and the guy on the recieving end of it was pretty bummed ,a pal of mine from CA. went home a day early
Pure vida please don't give up, Chad said you seemed very cool and I'm sure we can be pals

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Aug 10, 07 8:35 am     Reply with quote

Coasties are all sugar and carebears.

surf nazis.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

pura vida one

Since 22 May 2007
80 Posts

PostSat Aug 11, 07 8:37 am    SAME SHIT DIFFERRENT DAY Reply with quote

yep, same shit: nice folks, smiling and having a good time yesterday at Florence. i'm not blaming anyone for the tones, misinterpretations, etc. it happens easily on-line and i'm sorry for my part in it; i misinterpreted(i think) and definitely believe i was misinterpreted.
i met a number of folks yesterday, talked about this stuff w/ a couple, had a good session. even had a mishap w/ someone turning about quickly w/out looking - right at me; not what i wanted but shit occasionally happens. just hope that everyone can deal w/ little things lke that and talk it out nicely in the end, square it up. he apologized and i laughed and said it was cool.
i saw a coupla good suggestions on this topic. 1)ride 1/4 mile down, 2)give right to the guy on the wave, period3)consider how you'd talk to the person in the flesh as opposed to online. simple, and this is a good place to hash this out a bit. especially if more of us can watch our tone, etc. peace out

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostSat Aug 11, 07 9:17 am     Reply with quote

Thats right it's cool
Marty is our newest shredder
he's been gettin turns pretty regularly
His kite just missed your body
only 2 of you out
try to imagine what the area would be like when it's 10 times smaller in size
and a dozen gung ho crazed on waves "surf nazis"and former"surf nazis"
throw in a few surfers you can barely see
and the area down wind is covered in pole boarders
oh ya and it's blowin 30
everybody has to be totally on it or shit blows up fast
Glad you came back
To the beach and forum.
thanks for waving at me when I left

To reiinterate (everyone ,everywhere)PLEASE watch out for surfers ,there are a lot of them.
I have to see them when I walk around town and I don't like being the one they come to when KITERS go haywire. or hear about on surfline .

The other day one of the best kiters here dropped his kite on one of the surfs ,a line barely touched him and was off him in seconds.
Kiter apoligized profusely ,but afterwards the surf asked me why the other kiter wasn't smiling at him
sheesh ,,
Please smile at them too?

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Aug 11, 07 9:22 am     Reply with quote

damn blowhard we must be on the same schedule, you beat me to the submit. Laughing

may I add, as one whom you didn't speak , driving the tough local white vw truck Very Happy

the one with which you almost tangled was also a guy who is learning the ropes on the lineup.

funny ow the two of you were the only ones out ,noone else and you almost got tangled. he was wave riding and came down on you.

he was partially out of control with excess speed you just riding higher upwind than you had all day.

Its all good. your a SOLID rider. just keep an eye out for others intent when you can nones got eyes in the back of your head.

just try to keep a mental map of where everyone is , like basketball, you just know approx where everyone is and how you will interact with them,strategizin'.

we will all be friends soon enough.

there is always a newbie to an area, the locals see it first with excitement of a good SHOW. when you two almost tangled we saw, slinging onto the beach ,opps , we saw. board hunting Twisted Evil

were all there to have fun.
here who knows were bored and wishing to be there.
there I am there to ride not too much time to hang out unless no wind with possibility of coming up.

we are only human.

I will add some selfishness here for fun...... your all in MY WAY... stay home .

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostSat Aug 11, 07 9:36 am     Reply with quote

stop fuckin wit my shit
I own all that
:D (WAVES)
no
YOU git
don't let him fool ya
he's got one of dem big white trucks
prolly no dick 2
EUGINAS !!! from U gene
(rhymes with VAGINA)

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 11, 07 4:49 pm     Reply with quote

We all blow..........hard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: