Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

"Kite Loop" or "Down Loop"?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Aug 03, 07 8:51 am    "Kite Loop" or "Down Loop"? Reply with quote

What do you call this move? (And I'm not trying to say it's anything sweet so don't bother heckling)

1. From heelside, send the kite and initiate a hooked-in back roll.

2. At the apex of the jump, pull hard on your back hand.

3. Kite loops around as you descend and you land going the same direction

or

you land headed straight down wind and continue looping the kite and head back the other way.

Question

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostFri Aug 03, 07 8:53 am     Reply with quote

back roll with a kite loop

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostFri Aug 03, 07 8:55 am    Closer to a kiteloop Reply with quote

Of the two, kiteloop or downloop, it'd be closer to a kiteloop. A downloop would be pulling on the front hand. After boosting, try the downloop just before you land for solid air transitions

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 03, 07 8:58 am     Reply with quote

I would call it (c) - Fun as shit. Twisted Evil

Isn't that basically what Ruben does - boosts then back-loop @ apex of jump? - maybe throws in a couple more on the way down. Are you trying to make a distiction between finishing, and not finishing the loop prior to landing ?

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Aug 03, 07 9:37 am     Reply with quote

SUper Fun, YES!

Anyways, yeah, in the last issue of Kiteboarder you see Ruben throw this move in a sequence....he just has way more amplitude obviously....but, same trick...hooked-in backrol, and the kite makes the same loop you do right...

So Slither, your lines aren't twisted at the end are they...? Rolling Eyes

I will look for the pic of Ruben, but he throws the backrol, just as he comes around he is looping it, so when he gets yanked during the loop, he just hangs on and ads a super steezed tail grab.
-It really helps understand the trick I think!

I had a hard time tonning these down, so I don't over-rotate the rol....still working on that. Very Happy

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Aug 03, 07 9:50 am     Reply with quote

Right, when you come out your lines aren't twisted.

"Back roll with kite loop" was the answer I was looking for. I have people I sail with who seem hell-bent on calling this a "down loop". Crying or Very sad

Again, not that's it's some great move, but I'll take all the kite-loop credits I can get! Twisted Evil

I have heard somewhere people referring to any "low power" kite loop i.e. starting the loop with your kite at or near neutral, as down looping (Versus a powered kite loop where you start the loop with the kite low). In my book a "down loop" is when you loop the kite forward 180 degrees and transition back the other way. If the kite loops 360 degrees (forward or back) it's a "kite loop"

New question: what differentiates a "back roll with kite loop" with an "F-16"?

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostFri Aug 03, 07 9:59 am     Reply with quote

My understanding is an F-16 is unhooked.

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostFri Aug 03, 07 10:00 am     Reply with quote

I think the difference between the back roll kite loop and the F-16 is completing the trick uh-hooked?

Hooked in to chicken loop = back roll kite loop
Un-hooked = F-16.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Not that I can do either of them, but aspire to land them someday.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Aug 03, 07 10:13 am     Reply with quote

Kodiak wrote:
My understanding is an F-16 is unhooked.

I think that's right, but is that all? Are F-16's supposed to be extended like more of a rotating raley?

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Aug 03, 07 10:31 am     Reply with quote

http://www.kiteworldtour.com/index.php?option=com_trick_list&task=view&Itemid=45

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostFri Aug 03, 07 10:55 am     Reply with quote

I haven't tried an F-16 yet, but my guess is when you pull the move unhooked it extends you out from the fact that all the pull now goes through the arms.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Aug 03, 07 10:58 am     Reply with quote

Chanson wrote: http://www.kiteworldtour.com/index.php?option=com_trick_list&task=view&Itemid=45

That's a good listing...here's what they say about a back roll with kite loop

"A hook in back roll while doing an up-loop kiteloop at the same time. (Like an F16 but hooked in)"

What do they mean exactly by "up-loop"? Does it mean looping the kite back as opposed to forwards? Or does it mean starting the kite loop from somewhere below neutral?

In the Bertrand F-16 video you can see he starts it low but it does pause at neutral for a sec before completing the loop.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostFri Aug 03, 07 11:15 am     Reply with quote

You start the kiteloop from below neutral. My understanding is you also want to have more speed going into an F-16 than you would a backroll kiteloop.

Even if you actually don't pull the trigger before the kite is in nutral on the loop, you were traveling one direction and you sent the kite up and back the other direction. The down loop is just sending the kite the same direction you were originally travelling.

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostFri Aug 03, 07 11:15 am     Reply with quote

check out the progression Advanced dvd... goes into detailed explanation on all these..

from what i understand:::::::>>>

kiteloop is a jump w/ backhand pull loop of the kite.. hooked or unhooked.

throw in a backroll and if you are hooked in, its simply a backroll kiteloop..

if you are unhooked its an f-16.. but I personally think the term f-16 came from those rocket-powered unhooked loops that send the rider level w/ the kite.. but in keeping with the "definition" its simply an unhooked backroll with a kiteloop.

downloop is pulling from the front hand.

you can do a downloop transition w/o a jump.. (easy and good way to get used to the power of a looping kite)

you can do a jump w/ a downloop that typically is done for a transition.. very stylish to hit these w/ a frontroll for a smooth transition.

you can also do an unhook jump with a downloop that looks a lot more like a raley with a downloop. a downloop does not generate that upwards pull that a kiteloop does so the jump must be initiated with your popping skills..

the progression DVD is really good at giving tons of details and angles to see the tricks. my kiteloops/downloops are currently all in crash-and-burn state.. hope to improve that when i get some wind in oregon in about 1 week!

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 03, 07 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

So what kite position are you guys starting your back-loops (up-loops) - I've bee starting them w/ slow - med. board speed w/ kite @ 10 o'clock with a slower pull to 12o' - then crank. Seems to generate alot of pull even in lighter winds. Is this 'correct' - ie. am I practicing something that will hinder my progression?

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Aug 03, 07 12:41 pm     Reply with quote

hmmm..

I start my backrol..(usually a little slower than normal cuz I have been beaten and now kinda timid, I know kinda poonish), anyways, once I am looking at the sky and my kite(I think the kite is in 11oclock), then I continue to pull as I complete the rotation.....So, I am getting the horizontal pull when I am almost right-side up.

but this all happens really quick. I just pull a little harder when I see the sky, so half-way around in the rol!! Very Happy

Chris, where are you kiting this weekend..?

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostMon Aug 06, 07 10:38 am     Reply with quote

So, this weekend I started trying unhooked backrols(I think).....and thats probably why my wrist is in major pain....but anyways..

-Curious...when I was doing them unhooked I would pop and go into a raley, then tuck my back shoulder and finish the roll... Is that still a backroll??? I looked at my video and it looks like a extended backroll as it looks like a upside-down raley half-way through it......but not quite a S-Bend I think.... They just felt way different than the hooked-in backrols.
Confused
When is it officially a S-Bend....? Raley-360ish..?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: