Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiters wife and son heckled on the sandbar grass
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
carolb

Since 04 Nov 2006
590 Posts
Stevenson, WA in the summer, SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostWed Aug 01, 07 6:07 pm    Kiters wife and son heckled on the sandbar grass Reply with quote

I caught this complaint on ikitesurf and thought I would pass it on. 'Shocked' Is HR that unfriendly?

The last three days my wife, our son & I ( & pug dog) sat with lawn chairs and cooler with 2 packed kite bags at the event site. Note kites packed in bags. Ok a kite board on the grass next to us too. Since my wife doesn't kite, yet wants to be close to the action this is the best place to be. We pay our 5$ day use fee each day. When kiting we take our packed gear down to the sand bar rig and ride from there.
Anyway we recieved more than a half dozen comments (not directly toward us) of things like:
"Kite boarders should find thier own beach".
"They (kiteboarders) shouldn't be allowed to be here"
"This is a windsurfing beach only"
Even one of the windsurfing trainers made some unprovlked comments
etc.
We said nothing in response to all of this.
Are we doing something wrong????
I don't think my family could be viewed as a menance. We respect the area and just booked 2 weeks in the Gorge area where we (I) can get some reasonable kiting.
Normally a little heckling is tolerable, but it has been almost relentless.
Next year maybe another spot to spend our $5000 vacation budget.
Any suggestions? Shocked Shocked Shocked

KidCorporate

Since 10 Jul 2007
563 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 01, 07 8:22 pm     Reply with quote

I think it really comes down to the fact that we're a a threat to them. I see this sport in the same place the snowboarding was 15-20 years ago, we're encroaching on what has traditionally been "their territory," and to make matters worse, we make them for the most part look silly. As long as it doesn't come to violence, I could care less what they have to say, we're here and we're not leaving, so they'll have to deal with us sooner or later.

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 01, 07 8:37 pm     Reply with quote

You know, no matter where you go there's always going to be the hecklers. I actually parked over at the Event site last weekend and got a couple weird looks myself. I got a little annoyed at first, but shook it off and walked down to the sandbar. After kiting for a while, I started to notice all the windsurfers clogging up the launch area while they were walking themselves and their gear back to the shore. At that moment, I started to think...What the hell are those guys doing???...Get out of the freakin' way! Evil or Very Mad At that moment, I realized that I was just like the windsurfers on the grass.

I guess what this boils down to is "can't we all just get along?" Also, as KidCorporate siad, they are probably a little intimadated by the fact that they are old school and kiters are starting to rule the beaches!

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 01, 07 9:25 pm     Reply with quote

jbruxer wrote:
You know, no matter where you go there's always going to be the hecklers.

A sicking sweet HUGE smile with a polite response has a a magical way snuffing the passive aggressive A-holes... try it. Cool

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Aug 02, 07 2:21 am     Reply with quote

How to get rid of anoying WS 101.

Ingredients:
-High pressure super soaker.
-Child of age 8 or under.
-Secret word that child and parent know which triggers the child to unleash their wrath!

Directions for aproaching WS:
When windsurfer approaches, opens pie hole and spouts comment:
1) speak secret word.
2) Watch as child provides them with the response they deserve.

Hehhe! Most everyone is cool but it only takes one rotten tomato to spoil the whole bunch.

tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostThu Aug 02, 07 7:53 am     Reply with quote

CGKA did a lot of work all winter to try and gain access to the event site... but in the end and agreement was made to not push it this summer, have kiters stay at the spit and address the issue again in the fall.

If those people had gone to the sandbar, rather than the event site, they would have been welcomed with a positive vibe that reigns the bar this year. Ambassader A-Train would have welcomed them and probably offered them a beer.

I know the event site grass is nice.. but for now, it is still the home of the windsurfers.

If you want to be treated well as a kiter in HR... head to the spit..

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 02, 07 8:05 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
I know the event site grass is nice.. but for now, it is still the home of the windsurfers.

I completly agree that we should let the windsurfers have their grassy spot, but whats wrong with using their parking and walking down the fence line to cut through to the sandbar? Last year when the sandbar wasn't nearly the size it is last year, we didnt have this issue. But now, it is a very long treck to and from the spit parking lot.

Thoughts?

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostThu Aug 02, 07 8:31 am     Reply with quote

While I agree that WS do give us an attitude and there are a number of reasons why they do this. However, keep in mind that many of them give us an attitude because other kiteboarders have given them an attitude.

Some kiteboarder may have said some rude comment or swung their lines too far low or put them in danger somehow - they get pissed off and then take it out on the next kiteboarder. This unsuspecting kiteboarder gets treated rudely - and then thinks all windsurfers are assholes and then treats the next windsurfer poorly - and the cycle continues.

Most of us are pretty chilled people and leave the windsurfers alone - however, there are a few that just don't care.

In these types of situations the best thing to do is try your best to be respectful even though some WS will be rude to you - the majority of them are actually pretty cool (just like the majority of us are actually pretty cool people).

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 02, 07 8:36 am    Re: Kiters wife and son heckled on the sandbar grass Reply with quote

carolb wrote:
I caught this complaint on ikitesurf and thought I would pass it on. 'Shocked' Is HR that unfriendly?

The last three days my wife, our son & I ( & pug dog) sat with lawn chairs and cooler with 2 packed kite bags at the event site. Note kites packed in bags. Ok a kite board on the grass next to us too. Since my wife doesn't kite, yet wants to be close to the action this is the best place to be. We pay our 5$ day use fee each day...

...Next year maybe another spot to spend our $5000 vacation budget.
Any suggestions? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Regardless of what was agreed to between the port and CGKA, anyone who enters the event site by paying the gate admission fee should be entitled to enjoying the grass with minimal hostility. I realize there are signs that ban anything with the word "kite" in it. however this family says they had a board and packed kite bags sitting next to them.
If it was me, I might have confronted the individuals and called them on their attitude. I find it hard to believe so many negative comments were made to this family. I have witnessed many kiteboarders just hanging out enjoying the grass. Since this situation is done and over with, I would suggest the family let the port, event site host, and the city of hood river know that they will consider spending the $5000 vacation bugdet elsewhere. that may get someone's attention. Not sure where they are staying for a $5000 vacation in HR but sounds like a pimpin vacation.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Aug 02, 07 8:56 am    Re: Kiters wife and son heckled on the sandbar grass Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
I find it hard to believe so many negative comments were made to this family.

Umm, not trying to be prick here, but....... perhaps the world isn't as PC as you believe...

something to chew on...

In me eyes, the WSer's (and I WS for 10 years prior to kiting) are acting like a threaten animal back into a corner.
Here's a little experiment for ya, Back the friendliest of dogs into a corner and see what happens...

Mother Nature dealt them a losing hand and they apparently have yet to suck it up & accept reality...

John

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" ~ Philip K. Dick

Last edited by J.P. on Thu Aug 02, 07 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Aug 02, 07 8:59 am     Reply with quote

Mother nature is on our side.... Wait till next years floods. Our sand nation will be completly past the event site. It will be ours by default.

I love it when a plan comes together

www.naishkites.com

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Aug 02, 07 9:00 am     Reply with quote

Why do you want to hang out with some geriatric windsurfers anyway? Swear we watched a guy packing up last Saturday and grab a walker. Imagine I will a be a bitter old prick too when I'm that age
(next week Laughing )

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostThu Aug 02, 07 9:24 am     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

I love it when a plan comes together

Thumb's Up

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 02, 07 9:38 am     Reply with quote

tekko wrote:
CGKA did a lot of work all winter to try and gain access to the event site... but in the end and agreement was made to not push it this summer, have kiters stay at the spit and address the issue again in the fall.

From what I have seen, I agree with Tekko that we have a good thing going this year at the sand spit. At the last meeting with the Port it was agreed by all that a plan will be submitted for permit that will enable the Port to move some of the sand in front of the boat basin and that part of the sandbar to the area on the western side of the Eventsite. This will give boat access to the boat basin, but will not accomodate Sternwheelers etc. It will also provide more beachfront launch area from the Event site. The Plan does not clear the eventsite from sand blockage, just using it more of a beach launch instead of straight off the grass. Everyone knows the sandbar is going to grow to the west. The plan is not to fight it, just shape it annually to our liking.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Aug 02, 07 10:30 am     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
Why do you want to hang out with some geriatric windsurfers anyway? (next week Laughing )

I think its called grass. I want some grass to replace the sand, in my ass.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostThu Aug 02, 07 11:17 am     Reply with quote

Thats too bad she was getting heckled...She probably should of just said something to those guys. They should just come to the spit, the people at the spit are nicer and have more stoke anyway

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Aug 02, 07 11:51 am     Reply with quote

It is too bad they got hasseled. Once you pay to park you can sit on the grass and hang out. So long as you dont blow up a kite or lay out lines you can do what you want.

Speaking of the "rules" why is it the WSers still cruize into the beach at warp nine? I thought there was a "no wake" policy......

Where is the enforcement equality?

www.naishkites.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: