Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

high wind board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shastadogs

PostSun Aug 21, 05 6:43 am    high wind board Reply with quote

Heya Wind Warriors,

i was in the gorge a week or so ago and as a new guy (18 months in, 175 pounds 8, 10, 12, 15m quiver, 142 ss doyle), i felt in the conditions of the day i could have really used another board.

the 142 is hard to keep on edge if i am even a bit overlit. can any of my more knowledgeable bretheren suggest a size board to extend my range. mydaughter (19y/o, 140 pounds, frank beginner) maybe could ride it as well?

i need to understand the issues better before i bring the idea of a new board to my (nonkiting) wife.

thanks for the input.
Jimbo

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Aug 21, 05 7:05 am     Reply with quote

Sometimes very small kites and bigger boards are a better solution for high gusty wind than the other way around. 8m isn't really that small though for the Gorge, you'd need a 6m. Go for a kite size smaller than everyone else and ride a bigger board. It's actually a lot more fun than just trying to hang on to a bigger kite in gusty wind.

As far as smaller boards... there are tons, take a look in the Classifieds. Try to go for something in the 124-130cm range, with at least 38cm of width (width makes a lot bigger difference than length for getting up on a plane.)

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Aug 22, 05 5:21 pm     Reply with quote

ditto what pkh said, except to add that a really good use of a second board is to leave it near the waters edge. if the wind picks up, you can goose some more water tme out of your sesh with a quick switcheroo.

used boards are cheap, and generally don't wear out the way kites do.

if the wife asks why you need the second board, say "well, it's either that or wear a board leash, and board leashes are real dangerous".

that 142 is just fine for your daughter ride on (with a little kite) until she can reliably stay upwind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: