Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

The Slider Story
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 20, 05 9:52 am    The Slider Story Reply with quote

So basically, the wind tipped over our gigantic slider, shortly after an anchor was tied onto the center section of the slider. Considering that the slider weighs about... well A FUCKEN LOT, the 3 of us could not muster up the strength to tip it over. Everyone one else was busy and we could not rally enough troops to tip the back over. Overnight the water level came up then dropped, cause the slider to FLOAT an anchor. SO I would really like it if people stopped asking Dylan and I about this shit because we cant try and make sure all this shit goes well without help from everyone else. If we ever want any of this slider stuff to work, then we need help from fellow kiters as well. As far as the slider comp happening, we still have a few sliders, and 2 of them are set up on a daily basis now. We have salvaged some of the slider and are hoping to set something up similair to it again. It was hit by a barge and some of it was unsalvageable.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Aug 20, 05 10:58 am     Reply with quote

wow, sorry your so angry, did anyone have a thought to, well maybe, take it a part or did you need others to hold your hands for that to. I am not a gorge guy but this has me a bit pissed. I would not be surprised if you all get a visit from the fish and wildlife boys and the army corp when it finds the dam. And if it would have taken out the prop of the barge that would not have been good. Shit I would have come up to help pull it out of the water or disassemble it but I guess I missed that post. Maybe when you guys get older some more responsibility will prevail. sorry to rant but pretty lame scenario. Laughing

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostSat Aug 20, 05 11:31 am    Registered need to be regulated Reply with quote

How can you be making comments about these kids setting up a slider and then something going wrong? You are not even from here and probably would not have helped anyway. Yes, these are kids, and they might of made a small mistake, at least they are trying something new. The people that were around should have made every effort to help. But some yuppie gaper from Portland has no room to complain. Rolling Eyes

Scriffler is watching Exclamation

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Aug 20, 05 11:39 am     Reply with quote

Regards,

HEHEHEHE,,,O' fuck me that's just hilarious,,,

Thanks for the laughs,,Damn,,LOL

So the kids are running things up there now?

That's smart..

How's that working out?

LOL

fo

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Aug 20, 05 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

I certainly would have helped thats why I said it. And I am far from a yuppie from portland, Chet. If you would like to discuss it we can make arrangements. I stay away from the gorge when possible, I ride at Florence more than anywhere else so come on down , blue subaru or large black dodge . No hard feelings but it is pretty disappointing, last I heard it was floating down to happy camp but that was days ago. I don't know why some are taking it so personally but someone should have taken some responsibility.

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Aug 20, 05 4:11 pm     Reply with quote

inept fun is what it turns into no fun at all:

Lot's O work to build, a pain to move, ill equiped to deal with the mighty Columbia, and for what?

To get off the water? well sure the boat bound need a ramp, but you've a perfectly good kite, you don't need no stinking ramp.

It's I'd suppose a poser thing, emulate some plumber butted skate hero?

Who cares?

Lets see,,,That Barge Captain for starters,,,

Young dude,,,,,be young but don't be too big a problem doing it.

It's but a single river; it is not your river; I'm sure you're just trying to be cool but what happened is without any doubt, very uncool.

Behave or be banned

just a thought

Kind regards
fo

BrDRdR

Since 20 Aug 2005
26 Posts

PostSat Aug 20, 05 5:23 pm    you guys suck Reply with quote

All you 'old' guys baggin on the slider guys suck. Tryin' new stuff, and pushing the limits is what is keeping this sport from being lame. If you want to be lame, and ride back and forth - do so. Just quit givin' the shit to those who are trying new stuff, and keepin it fresh. And yeah, sometimes people do shit they wish would have turned out differently. Oh well, hopefully lesson learned. Razz Twisted Evil Razz Twisted Evil Razz

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Aug 20, 05 5:32 pm    Re: you guys suck Reply with quote

BRdR wrote:
All you 'old' guys baggin on the slider guys suck. Tryin' new stuff, and pushing the limits is what is keeping this sport from being lame. If you want to be lame, and ride back and forth - do so. Just quit givin' the shit to those who are trying new stuff, and keepin it fresh. And yeah, sometimes people do shit they wish would have turned out differently. Oh well, hopefully lesson learned. Razz Twisted Evil Razz Twisted Evil Razz

Regards,

If it WAS new I'd be different.

It just is not new, AND that's why it's lame,,it's old ,,, well? it's schoolyard, candy muncher on a skateboard stuff,

on a snowboard? na you have jumping and half pipes, that's way cool,,

A wakeboard??? YUP

Yeah ok that's understandable wakeboards are just so borring,, go slide...that's cool

Kitting is MEGA cool why drag it down to wakeboard level?

Face it, sliders are stale,old, it's been done, over, over, sad, just fe-n lame, plus it's something you do at schools on a skateboard?

Eh? does it get lamer?

Open your mind

Regards
fo

BrDRdR

Since 20 Aug 2005
26 Posts

PostSat Aug 20, 05 7:55 pm    I'm down Reply with quote

Fo -I'm open. Tell us all the new, cool moves you bin doin'. I would love to see some fresh stylin' ridin'. Shake things up some. I've only seen a handful of riders out there pushin' it. I'm not one of 'em, are you? If your not, quit talkin' smak. If you are, push the hell out of it man, and don't wory about the rest. Twisted Evil

Last edited by BrDRdR on Sun Aug 21, 05 7:01 am; edited 2 times in total

another guest

Since 13 Jul 2005
13 Posts

PostSat Aug 20, 05 8:03 pm     Reply with quote

scriff, I accused you of being a brother that will smother your mother, and make your sister thing think i lover her, but I'm with you on this one. Don't listen to the wanna be wise guys. I've never been on a slider, and wouldn't bother to build one, but if one presented itself I'd be all over it, and so would these guys. I'm hopin some odd driftwood with pvc floats aground at JI. Maybe yours will float out into the pac. and find puget sound.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Aug 20, 05 8:08 pm     Reply with quote

don't get me wrong I would have hit it if it were here or I were there .But come on don't let it escape. Man I sound like an old man and I am not ,I think not at least. Confused

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Aug 20, 05 11:00 pm     Reply with quote

Hey it takes guts to get up and tell the whole story, it also takes a hell of a lot of guts to hit sliders. I say bravo on both counts. Thumb's Up

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSun Aug 21, 05 7:40 am     Reply with quote

built a slider - cool
didn't work out as planned - bummer
what to do? build a better one.

Here's the formula for calculating
the wind loading for a thin plate:

D = Cd * A * r * .5 * V^2

D = Drag or Load (acting at center of the plate)
Cd = drag coefficient = 1.28 for a plate at 90 deg to wind.
A= Area exposed to wind in m^2
r = air density ( r = 1.229 kg/m^3 at sea level)
V = wind velocity in m/s

-Hein

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Aug 21, 05 8:47 am     Reply with quote

Hmm,

Perhaps one might augment the phyisics with bit o' psychology?

The discontinuity theory of learning:

A theory of discrimination learning, holding that an organism must focus on those aspects of the stimulus which are critical to the required discrimination in order for learning to take place.

We're all doing what we can.

regards
fo

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Aug 21, 05 9:14 am     Reply with quote

just my two cents here.... i'm not a gorge-guy but just giving a little construtive criticism from one kiter to another.

Don't ever forget how precious access is, and how easily it could get yanked. Sorry to be harsh but worked (volunteer) on river access for whitewater kayaking for years, it is very easy for some beauracrat to say "what a hassle, let's ban it". Big government org's can be very oblivious to the little guy on the street.

The barge propeller comment is right on. Screw with commerce and you'll find out pretty quick which groups can hire lobbyists and which can't.

I think the kids that built the slider certainly had their hearts in the right place, and I hope they keep up the "let's make it more fun for everyone" attitude. But registered is right, you gotta be carefull or you could screw it up for everyone.

And if you built it, then you gotta take responsibility for it.. that's just how life is.

You might not get any warnings, access can be hear today, gone tommorrow, ain't coming back no time soon...

BrDRdR

Since 20 Aug 2005
26 Posts

PostSun Aug 21, 05 2:34 pm    Rebuild! Reply with quote

Rebuild that thing - and anchor the hell out of it. Looks like nice work on what is left of it. I saw the kicker was out too. Some guy was throwin' some nice backside 3's off it today. Any chance this thing will turn around for a regular hit? Razz

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Aug 22, 05 8:15 pm     Reply with quote

Actually it'd be really strange if HR even thought of closing access to kitesurfers. It'd be cutting the branch they're sitting on pure and simple.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: