Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

The Slider Story
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Aug 29, 05 9:11 am     Reply with quote

true that. im not saying the spit is gonna get shut down tommorrow. but there are lots of launches, from Sauvies to Rufus, managed by different fiefdoms.

What I've seen is, lots of petty stuff sort of piles up and <your favorite hobby> puts a bad taste in the mouth of some petty bueracrat, who then starts looking for an excuse to shut things down.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Aug 29, 05 9:16 am     Reply with quote

pjc wrote:
What I've seen is, lots of petty stuff sort of piles up and <your favorite hobby> puts a bad taste in the mouth of some petty bueracrat, who then starts looking for an excuse to shut things down.

Yeah guys in suits hate seeing us have all that fun. Very Happy

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Aug 29, 05 11:04 am     Reply with quote

Speaking of this: I was out on the crowd bar Sat and Sun and due to unstable winds I chose to ride upwind from the bar from the paddleboat to the red buoy. That kinda gets into the windsurfer territory, is that Ok?

I'm glad I did that 'cause Sun started with 14m conditions for a couple hours and then they suddenly put a brick on the throttle and it turned into 9m within a minute. Still darn holy though, sometimes I could barely hang on to that 9m, sometimes barely stayed up. But brushed up my gust handling skills pretty well so it's all good.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Aug 29, 05 11:06 am     Reply with quote

azazello wrote:
Speaking of this: I was out on the crowd bar Sat and Sun and due to unstable winds I chose to ride upwind from the bar from the paddleboat to the red buoy. That kinda gets into the windsurfer territory, is that Ok?

Just keep riding upwind until you are up by the bridge on the WA side. Better wind. Better swell. 10% as many people on the water. Thumb's Up

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Aug 29, 05 11:19 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:

Just keep riding upwind until you are up by the bridge on the WA side. Better wind. Better swell. 10% as many people on the water. Thumb's Up

I'm a bit overwhelmed with logistics of "what to do if it dies" and "what to do if it picks up" when you're there. Esp. with non-kiting friends waiting. How good are the chances of getting a ride from there back to the bar? Looks like at least an hour hike time if you can't make it back.

Also, where's the nothern boundary of the barge canal? I'm the kind who doesn't notice such things until they're on top Smile

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Aug 29, 05 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

Self rescuing is always an option if anything goes really wrong. As for wind picking up, just b-line it back in. It only takes a couple minutes.

I'd say its a lot safer kiting where there are far less kiters but further away than the other way around.

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Aug 29, 05 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

B-line?

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Aug 29, 05 12:53 pm     Reply with quote

You dont have a B-line????
uhhh ohhh Wink

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Aug 29, 05 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

Well, when it picked up yesterday I could only straight-line it back in (benefit of staying directly upwind from where you started), but I could easily miss the sand bar entirely and fly straight into the bridge Smile

BrDRdR

Since 20 Aug 2005
26 Posts

PostMon Aug 29, 05 4:39 pm    Ridin upwind Reply with quote

Yeah, good spot to ride when the bar gets loaded up on week-ends. The wind seems inconsistent on the OR side though. How close can you get to Wells Island? I know there are some shallow spots on the North side of the Island. Could you stop there, take a break, and relaunch - or is the wind too inconsistent near the island for this kind on nonsense?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Aug 29, 05 5:25 pm     Reply with quote

The wind above the island is much better than anything below. The strongest winds are between the island and bridge, but just above the island is a little lighter than the rest of the area.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: