Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Trim line replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Aug 18, 05 6:13 am    Trim line replacement Reply with quote

I love Naish but these trim lines are a pain. Now with the fifth line they wear out even faster! Shelling out $30 bones for a whole new trim loop is bad, but then the stores don't even carry them (or they can't keep them in stock) so you have to order them.

Well I tried a poor mans fix job and we'll see. I used 35 cents worth of nylon rope from Ace and it took me about 10 minutes. Thanks to Barfly and the Broadbandito for the inspiration. I used a grapevine knot and got it as close to the top of the loop as I could. An unexpected feature is that the knot will prevent the plastic top of the loop from cutting up the bar-wrap around the eyelet.

Trimline_repair.jpg 

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Aug 18, 05 6:35 am     Reply with quote

My old bars were always Naish. I liked them plenty, but I went through around 3 trim line's/loops a season. Tried wax on it and that helped but I still ended up replacing it when it looked real worn.

I had one break on me on the water once, not fun!

Now I switched to Slingshot because they have the best trim line. Super thick and bomber. It adds some bar pressure to steering, but it's worth it. Now the only problem is the bar itself is getting chewed up by my calluses, especially around the "Slingshot" lettering laid into the bar.

Nothing lasts forever...

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Aug 19, 05 6:16 am     Reply with quote

The repair worked perfectly! I think I will splice a small ring to the top of the trim loop so I can change out the worn out trim lines faster than changing my underwear. More often too.

Hey, last night I got to SI. I thought I saw white caps across the whole river so I rigged a small kite. Turns out it was only floating diaper balls. Sad

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostFri Aug 19, 05 6:54 am     Reply with quote

good idea!
Can u post a pic of the whole rig job?
thanks

www.naishkites.com

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostFri Aug 19, 05 8:31 am    Naish Trash Reply with quote

There is a reason they call it Naish trash, now there is photographic evidence. Smile

sandoz

Since 06 Jul 2005
4 Posts

Kook

PostFri Aug 19, 05 1:04 pm     Reply with quote

you'll notice another unexpected feature when you try to quick-release the trim loop. Just a caution -- I've been doing the same with my Naish loops for a while now.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSat Aug 20, 05 5:27 am     Reply with quote

Sandoz,

I have tested the quick release trim loop way back when I first got one. I recall it working as expected. I have had one release on me by accident which wasn't fun. What is your experience with the quick release?

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostSat Aug 20, 05 9:10 am     Reply with quote

Perfect choice on the knot selection but IMHO I would be a little leary of that nylon rope. Its not as strong as spectra and it will stretch quite a bit. You can buy a piece of spectra for a couple of bucks at West Marine or any marine store for that matter and use the same knot then your fix would be golden.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Smile

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun Aug 21, 05 7:39 am     Reply with quote

sandoz wrote:
you'll notice another unexpected feature when you try to quick-release the trim loop.

Duh (now I get it), the knot blocks the release sheath from sliding up the line. I've never used the loop release but I'm glad it's there. I guess the only way to do this fix is to attach a shackle or something with a release. Then get the right line and just replace the line. At that point you could use any loop but it needs the Shift style 5th line attachment.

sandoz

Since 06 Jul 2005
4 Posts

Kook

PostSun Aug 21, 05 10:42 am     Reply with quote

I've always thought the Naish quick release to be a clever alternative to the pin & soft loop releases (that don't release when the load comes on), but I too have never actually had to use it.
You can tie that knot farther up the line and the safety should work properly. In the past I've used a reef knot bookended with two half hitches, but I'm no expert on knots.

One more thing, I've heard that because of the braid pattern on spectra, as it frays lengthwise (an inch or two on 8mm line), the strength is significantly weaker as each tow of fiber is exposed to the same amount of surface wear... the line may give out before you notice any necking down in cross-section. Makes sense, in a russian roulette sort of way.

All the more reason to go to a fixed loop. Full power, full time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: