Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Going to San Diego need info on good sites etc..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostSat Jul 21, 07 6:45 am    Going to San Diego need info on good sites etc.. Reply with quote

I'm going to SD to check in on the old Point Loma College Buds! I'll be surfing Abs, Newb, Garbage, and Breaks inbetween! I'm going to check out fiesta, the strand and such as well.

I surfed there for 6 years and loved it!

Has anybody here kited that area?? What size kite etc..

Also going down to Baja for some surf sessions, but do plan on taking my kites, just in case.

Any advice would be great.

Very Happy I'll take some pics and post.

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostSat Jul 21, 07 4:17 pm     Reply with quote

I kited out at Strand and almost everyone had 18's or 20M kites + long boards!! it's a much more laid back style than gorge kiting for sure.

here's an old post about it...

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-850.html&highlight=dolphins

rich

Since 30 Nov 2005
306 Posts
portland
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 21, 07 4:51 pm     Reply with quote

yep, silver strand is where I've seen people riding down there.

in this months KiteWorld there is an article called 'Better Days In the Dirty South' that is about kiting in baja. The place is called Punta San Carlos, looks like a 6 to 8 hour drive down from san diego. Look it up on the internet, there is a hosting group down there called solosports:

http://www.solosports.net/

If you go please tell us about it. I am so dying to check this place out.

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 21, 07 5:47 pm    Punta San Carlos Reply with quote

It is a good place, but we have better (right Mocean) Laughing

There is a good market and gas at El rosario, the right turn on M1 last town before turn off.

Driving at night is not recomended, but if your following a semi, they hit what ever first. I drive when ever I want, but there are more troublemakers out at night and having destinations that are safe is nice.

Also, the stops by the policia and Military are less intrusive in the middle of a cold desert evening, they want to get back to the fire Very Happy

From M1 to PSC is a 45 mile, 3 hour drive. You better have a spare tire or two, the rocks are sharp. There are a few vados, but no too bad, Drive very slow, your not in the Baja 1000, nor will your vehicle handle it.

And don't hang out in any towns, goto the beach and stay there, trouble will find you if you give it a chance.

Get Mexican Auto insurance, you can get that at San Isidro, there are a few clubs, discover baja and vagabundos.

Get your Pesos in Mexico at one of the ATMs they have the best and current rates.

sand Diego, Mission Bay, bring your big stuff.

San Carlos in the summer can be very windy and it sucks when it is. The best time is in lighter conditions.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 21, 07 9:10 pm     Reply with quote

bulae99 might not be heading south of the border - which means he'll need light wind gear for sure; yeah I've always dreamed of hitting San Carlos but the spring and fall days at our "mini San Carlos" make up for it!

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostSun Jul 22, 07 4:52 am    Heading about 60 miles past Ensenada to a beach house Reply with quote

**Big question is do I need a passport??

I'm not going to hit San Carlos this time, but I am in December for sure.

The biggest kite I have is a 14 meter TDII. I have 5'8" twinszer RRD, but I'm thinking this may not be enough.

I'm going to be road triping from Alb. NM to San Diego. Speding time in SD surfing and Kiting. I was looking at the past wind graphs on iwindsurf.com and found that 10 mph is the magic number. I'm thinking a 17 meter fuel is the way to go, or maybe my 14 and a skim board.

I'll keep a blog of my travels along with a load of pictures. Very Happy

Man I hope it blows today!

Thanks for the input and if you have any reccomendations then please tell it like it is. I did search the SoCaliforniKiteAssociation and found that they are starting back up after some downtime. I read about all of the most popular spots in Cal. and also noticed how the "Self-Police" I almost posted it, but I'm tired of looking like an asshole on nwkite. They apparently have some major access issues at their sites due to heavy volumn of people on beaches etc.

Thanks,
http://www.scka.org/

rich

Since 30 Nov 2005
306 Posts
portland
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 22, 07 5:09 am     Reply with quote

take a look at the solosports website, www.solosports.com, and there is some info on travel documents.

Have a good time dude

marina c

Since 03 Apr 2006
318 Posts
California/Gorge Summer
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 22, 07 11:02 am     Reply with quote

san diego has a new forum, sandiegokiteboarding.com

try posting something there.... hopefully somebody will help out:-)

marina c

Since 03 Apr 2006
318 Posts
California/Gorge Summer
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 22, 07 2:13 pm     Reply with quote

Check out the baja guide at iwindsurf.com

http://www.iwindsurf.com/travel.iws?genID=24

It's slightly dated but has some great info!

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 23, 07 5:22 am    YES Reply with quote

Get your passport.

skydiveblake

Since 28 Jun 2006
63 Posts
San Diego

PostMon Jul 23, 07 6:23 am     Reply with quote

plan on drinking - the windiest day in Sandy Ego would make the average Gorge-kiter kill himself in frustration...

sdkite

Since 22 Jul 2007
1 Posts

PostTue Jul 24, 07 8:34 am     Reply with quote

Bulae,

As already stated lite wind is it in SD especially in the Summer. TBII and skimboard would work though. I often go skim and Vegas 14m. Plenty of pull if the waves are small (almost always lately).

Mexico's different. You need your passport, a 12 or 14, 9m and a surfboard. 60 miles south of Ensenada is windy. What's the town or area your staying at? Maybe i could be more specific about spots then.

Denis

jimmyc

Since 04 Aug 2005
74 Posts
Cape Cod, MA

PostTue Jul 24, 07 9:12 am     Reply with quote

Friends and I did the Solosports San Carlos trip in September '02. It was definitely a fun trip as we had a group of 10 from our area. Getting there was a little sketchy...E350 van with 8 adults, 100s lbs of gear on the roof rack and towing 50 cases of beer and supplies while bombing around the switchbacks, etc of the hills along the way. The luxury camping was fantastic though. nothing quite like waking up in your seaside tent to an incredible sunrise grabbing a lil coffee and watching the waves peel. The launch was a little sketchy, but we were pretty noob-ish then. I'd definitely be more comfy now. It was also a little disconcerting riding in side-off winds in the middle of nowhere without any dedicated rescue boat. But again, I'd be a lot more comfortable now. The waves were great, really long and slow to break. You could ride them forever. I wasn't so great at waveriding then, but definitely loved learning there.

I'd go back...if there weren't so many other spots I haven't been to yet....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: