Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Dude...My 12's F*cked Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostMon Aug 15, 05 8:12 pm    Dude...My 12's F*cked Up Reply with quote

...The dreaded confusion air; I looked up at the kite from an unfamiliar angle and decided to send it the wrong way....then tried to correct. = straight full force hammer down. My 12 is now lying in state in my van. I'm hoping for resurrection, but I fear the worst and know in my heart the tear is likely fatal.

I brushed-up on the ceremony and have made some adjustments given the fact that the kite is a lot more important than just any-old President. Here's the raw data: In the United States, the lying in state procedure is done underneath the rotunda of the U.S. Capitol. The first leader to receive this honor was statesman Henry Clay in 1852. Since then the honor has been extended to 10 U.S. presidents, including the four who were assassinated, but is not limited to them...even though none of these dudes were kiters.

No law, written rule, or regulation specifies who may lie in state; use of the Rotunda is controlled by concurrent action of the House and Senate. Any person who has rendered distinguished service to the nation may lie in state if the family so wishes and Congress approves. In the case of unknown soldiers, the president or the appropriate branch of the armed forces initiates the action.

The coffin or casket is usually placed on the black catafalque first constructed upon the death of Abraham Lincoln, who was presented in state in 1865. The casket is guarded at each of its four corners by servicemen each representing a branch from the United States armed forces. Unlike in the United Kingdom and Canada, where they stand at each corner with heads bowed and weapons inverted and their backs are turned towards the casket, the guards face it and their weapons are held in their right hands, with their rifle butts touching the floor.

Notable non-executive figures who have received this honor include Thaddeus Stevens (1868), Charles Sumner (1874), The Unknown Soldier (1921), John J. Pershing (1948), Douglas MacArthur (1964), and J. Edgar Hoover (1972).

The ten presidents who have had the honor of lying in state in the Capitol rotunda are:

Abraham Lincoln (1865)
James Garfield (1881)
William McKinley (1901)
Warren Harding (1923)
William Howard Taft (1930)
Taft is the only chief justice to lie in state in the Capitol.
John F. Kennedy (1963)
Herbert Hoover (1964)
Dwight Eisenhower (1969)
Eisenhower is one of three five-star generals to lie in state in the Capitol. The others are Pershing and MacArthur.
Lyndon Johnson (1973)
Ronald Reagan (2004)

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 16, 05 7:56 am     Reply with quote

Ken - Sorry about your loss, I too lost my beloved 13m this year (it is MIA in the Columbia still.)

Not sure about the burial, but I volunteer to play "Taps" on a kazoo for ya.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostTue Aug 16, 05 8:57 am    dead kite Reply with quote

Is this your new Xbow that has kicked the bucket?

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostTue Aug 16, 05 9:19 am    more details...which you'd probably rather not know Reply with quote

For those wishing to keep the 12 in your thoughts today; it was an Orange & Yeller 04' Gaastra GXR. It flew many kind missions over the course of a two year tour-of-duty in the Pacific (and once in the Carribean) wind theater. This regal bird did not give-an-inch to Danglerian-upwind-pinch-aggression, nor did it become impatient with other static line kites at crowded launches throughout the gorge. In short, it was a good kite which just loved to fly. ...What's that? I think I can hear the kite angels singing Slaughter's "Fly to the Angels" right-now. I think you may hear it too:

"Pictures of you
They're still on my mind
You had the smile
That could light up the world
Now it rains
It seems the sun never shines

And I'll drive down
This lonely lonely road
Ooh I got this feelin'
Girl, I gotta let you go

'Cause now you've got to fly (fly high)
Fly to the angels
Heavens awaits your heart
And flowers bloom in your name
You've got to fly (fly high)
Fly to the angels
All the stars in the night
Shine in your name

You know it hurts me
Way deep inside
When I turn and look
And find that you're not there
I try to convince myself
That the pain, the pain
It's still not gone.

Still I'll drive down
this lonely lonely road
Ooh I got this feelin'
Girl, I gotta let you go

But now you've got to fly (fly high)
Fly to the angels
Heavens awaits your heart
You've got to fly (fly high)
Fly to the angels
All the stars in the night
Shine in your name

FLYYYY!!!

Ooh yeah
And still I drive down
this lonely lonely road
ooh I got this feelin'
oh I can't let you go
BUT I KNOW that you've got to fly (fly high)
fly to the angels
Heaven awaits your heart
You've gotta fly (fly high)
fly to the angels
All the stars in the sky
SHINE IN YOUR NAME YEAH
OW! ooh--ooh--ooh (repeat)

I'm gonna miss you
gonna miss you girl."

Jim

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostWed Aug 17, 05 6:05 am    Roll the Stone Away Reply with quote

Roll the Stone Away! The 12 has been reborn...in the hands of a kite repair surgeon. I walked into the operating room last night and observed the trauma from a new perspective. Doc had her all opened up. Even though it was tough to look-at, I learned a few things about what can and can't be done with modern kite medicine. He said that because she had healthy skin, the tearing and near dismemberment would respond well to treatment.
Just had it delivered to my hands at 6:40 this glorious a.m.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Aug 17, 05 6:54 am     Reply with quote

Glad to hear it pulled thru! Modern medicine is wonderful!

www.naishkites.com

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostWed Aug 17, 05 9:58 pm     Reply with quote

My 13.5 got run over on I84. Roof box popped open and now there are some battle scars and tire tracks on the bag. Gonna give my sewing machine a workout. Crying or Very sad

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostThu Aug 18, 05 1:07 am    .. Reply with quote

let me help this post along further...

my 18M blew up at Sauvies a week ago ...the LE burst at the seams and I did nothing wrong...i sware it! Wink

sorry, no song lyrics to attach to this story, but i'm betting the sound of an elephant holding it's breath and its trunk (LE) exploding would be a similar sound to what my dying kites last sound was.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Aug 18, 05 6:09 am     Reply with quote

KiteKarl wrote:
My 13.5 got run over on I84. Roof box popped open and now there are some battle scars and tire tracks on the bag. Gonna give my sewing machine a workout. Crying or Very sad

Owch! That sucks Karl... that 13.5 has seen better days. Maybe you should swap Mike's when he's not looking. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: