Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Questions for Dakin Nitrous shorts wearers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 19, 07 9:29 pm    Questions for Dakin Nitrous shorts wearers Reply with quote

I just got these shorts this past weekend and had the bar separate from the right strap while kiting upwind to the hatch from event site. Needless to say, being partially attached to the kite was very unfortunate and disconcerting. This resulted in some straight down wind board riding until crash, and subsequent kite crash, with inadvertant relaunching and dragging, at times backwards, sideways and underwater. Although I was never held down long I started to panic and I pulled the wrong saftey, which did nothing to help me regain control. I finnally managed to pull the 2nd safety and managed to lose the spreader bar and the part of the safety attached to it. Luckily. I was able to get control of the kite by hauling in the OSR handle without letting go of the whole thing. A buddy of mine who was with me saved my board. At any rate, I would rather not repeat the experience.

The shorts come with 2 screw in pins to keep the bar in place so that separation doesn't happen. I was obviously mistaken in not putting these pins in thinking that simple tension would have prevented bar/shorts separation. however, putting in both left and right pins makes it a pain to get out of the bar.

question #1- Do most people use the pins? if so, do you use the left, right, or both? I talked to a buddy of mine whose shorts only came with one pin, but had the bar/shorts separation thing happen to him just last week.

Question 2- Does anyone use the Dakine "pivoting hammerhead spreader bar" which bends when pulled up? In the Big Winds catalog, it says it helps avoid inadvertent harness release by staying in a neutral position, but it seems like it would be annoying. Anyone have experience with this thing?

Question #3- Do you use the spreader bar pad with the shorts? I bought one, but ended up not using it because it restricts me from bending over so i could grab my board, get in the footstraps while in the water, etc. Is this a problem for anyone else?

thanks!

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostThu Jul 19, 07 9:44 pm     Reply with quote

Hey untwed, I've been using the Nitrous shorts for two years now and I had the spreader bar come unhooked a couple of times during my first few months until I learned that I have to really crank down the straps tight at the start, again after I get in the water, (most important) then about once every hour or so I'll slow down and cinch things tight again. No problems for over a year now.

I only use one of the screw retainers, on the left side. I don't think which side you use really matters, just put it opposite the side you can get the best pull on. I've pretty much set the left side straps and only have to tighten and loosen the right side straps to get in and out of them.

I"m using a Slingshot Surefire spreader bar but I tried the hinged Dakine one on somebody else's harness and didn't like it. Seemed like it put the bar and lines right in my face when it pivoted up.

I think it's best to use a pad with the shorts too. Makes things a little more comfortable, keeps the bar from twisting up under load, and maybe it helps keep things hooked up. Try bringing your knees up rather than bending at the waist to deal with the board and foot straps.

I still like the shorts more than a waist harness even though it may be a bit harder to do some tricks. I never liked having a waist harness ride up into my chest and having the bar right in front of my face during jumps.

Anyhoo, my 2 cents!

Tony

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostFri Jul 20, 07 12:25 am     Reply with quote

I use the shorts to.

Regarding the pins - I have no idea what you are talking about Sad I guess mine didn't come withe any pins.

I have had the bar come out a couple of times. I just make sure I tighten them tight before I ride every time. They haven't come undone since then.

Regarding the spreader bar pad. Yes, it restricts my ability to behind over and grab my board. So I put one foot in and then wiggle my other foot in. I use it because if I don't then I will get bruises where my hip flexers are.

Regarding the pivoting spreader bar. I use that also - it has never been anoying. It just pivots and thats about it.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Jul 20, 07 8:15 am     Reply with quote

I use the new style Dakine pads. I've never once had the bar come undone using one of these. It's a pain getting the clips off the bar when you want to, let alone accidentally. Of course, I also tighten the straps up pretty good.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostFri Jul 20, 07 8:16 am     Reply with quote

I have that dakine pivoting spreader bar hook thing. Its nice cause it doesnt force the bar into your ribs so hard when your dangling from your kite. It comes with an elastic band thats supposed to keep it down, but the rubber got brittle and snapped within 2 sessions. still works awesome though. it has one fo those retaining pins and has never unclipped on the other side. I have the dakine bar pad as well, indeed, pretty trickey to undo the clip even when you want to.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 20, 07 8:21 am     Reply with quote

i had the pivot bar, I never cared for it that much... and i had it come loose from my harness while the kite was in the air... now that i have a solid spreader, i won't use the pivoter anymore...

mamann

Since 16 Jul 2007
74 Posts
Gorge East

PostFri Jul 20, 07 8:36 am     Reply with quote

I use the shorts also. They work great for me so far. I use the pivoting spreader and bar pad. I haven't had anything come undone, but like others say, I cinch everything down nice and tight. I like the pivoting spreader vs the fixed spreader, because the fixed spreader digs into me when the kite is at any angle other than perpendicular to me, and the pivot point is at my waist and not a few inches away from me.

alankitesurf2

Since 21 Jun 2006
81 Posts

PostFri Jul 20, 07 8:54 am     Reply with quote

Have used the shorts for several years- the bar did release from the bracket once half-way through a Veinto-Spit downwinder while overpowered on a 7m. Quite a interesting kitemare as the kite looped uncontrollably with the bar "lopsided" and the safety release difficult to reach-not fun. Ended up eventully body dragging to shore near Swell but lost my board(eventually found at the dam). I think I had actually over-tightened the straps leading to the release while riding switch. The straps are not real easy to adjust as the shorts get older and I found the bracket had bent open over time.The straps on the shorts neeed to be adjusted as you change to a different thickness of wetsuit- I was too lazy that day to get the proper tension on the straps .

h2olm

Since 07 Jun 2006
124 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jul 20, 07 10:37 am     Reply with quote

I would not use the pivoting head since the welds on them were never too strong. I have seen many of the returned becuase the welds were broken. I have had my shorts for a couple of years now and I still love them. It's a bit uncomfortable riding toeside sometimes, but overall they work just fine. I also have a bar pad on mine. It seems that the pad would also act as a protector for the ribs and such. I've never had a problem bending over with the shorts on (especially in the water). You just need to make sure everything is nice and snug!

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostFri Jul 20, 07 10:48 am     Reply with quote

I use the pivoting head and pad. Also I keep the left side screwed down. I have never had any problems. I do notice that while kiting the spreader bar seems to pull out about an inch from my body or so. Never been a problem. I also have never had a problem bending with the pad.

joeag

Since 13 Apr 2007
7 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jul 20, 07 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

Just bought some this year and really like them. Use the pin on the right side. No inadvertent releases yet (knock on wood). I attach my safety leash to the back grab handle on the shorts, just in case I did lose the spreader bar on an accidental release (I use to hook my leash to the spreader bar). I also use the bar pad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: