Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

07 vs 06 Waroos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skeet0230

Since 12 Jun 2007
19 Posts
Portland, OR

PostThu Jul 19, 07 11:37 am    07 vs 06 Waroos Reply with quote

I am looking to getting a kite for hr and have taken some lessons on the 07 waroos. I know someone who might be selling an 06 waroo and I am wondering if the advances make it not work going with an 06. Does anyone know what the big differences are and can the conversion kit they sell fix them?

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jul 19, 07 11:50 am     Reply with quote

believe the conversion kit is just to upgrade an older bar, not the kite itself. the bars are interchangeable, might as well get the latest bar.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostThu Jul 19, 07 12:07 pm     Reply with quote

The biggest upgrade in the 07 is the leading edge. The '07 leading edge is bomber, the '06 has a tendency to start pulling out. It really isn't a big deal as a leading edge repair is like 12 bucks at airtime. I have had my 07 and my 12m repaired. The '07 is also a bit more stable in the air with the extra battens. The last upgrade they did was put a pully system on the back lines. I have actually removed those and fly it direct hough. I like the more direct feel of the '06 kites. If you can get an '06 cheap it is a great kite.

hedquista

Since 13 Apr 2007
72 Posts
Salt lake city

PostThu Jul 19, 07 3:09 pm     Reply with quote

there is a front bridle upgrade that can be done b y yourself that adds a limited path bridle that is exactly like the 07. and the back pully is the only upgrade from 06 to 07. but i took mine off too. it flies much better. i have to watch my 06 12m leading edge here and there for the seam coming apart but when i see that happening it is a quick repair and i am back on the water. saves some money. i havent had a problems

keats

rich

Since 30 Nov 2005
306 Posts
portland
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 19, 07 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

I have an 06 9m, flies killer. I did get the 07 bar. For the price, I think that the waroo is hard to beat. I've heard about the leading edge issues, my kites leading edge still looks solid.

The 07 bar is something I think that you will definitely want

jonah

Since 20 Jul 2006
169 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostThu Jul 19, 07 3:24 pm     Reply with quote

One thing I can tell you they improved a lot on the 07 bar is the emergency chicken loop release. It does not work on the 06 bar. If you buy the 06 bar, get the upgrade kit to solve this problem.

The '06 kite feels to me like it has more depower than the 07. But the downside is that the '06 is much less stable if the winds get really strong all of a sudden (kite will flatten out, stall and fall right into the power zone.. and THEN maybe power up 100%.. yikes!). You have to be careful when the gusts get big.

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 19, 07 3:42 pm     Reply with quote

Kodiak wrote:
The biggest upgrade in the 07 is the leading edge. The '07 leading edge is bomber, the '06 has a tendency to start pulling out. It really isn't a big deal as a leading edge repair is like 12 bucks at airtime. I have had my 07 and my 12m repaired. The '07 is also a bit more stable in the air with the extra battens. The last upgrade they did was put a pully system on the back lines. I have actually removed those and fly it direct hough. I like the more direct feel of the '06 kites. If you can get an '06 cheap it is a great kite.

Kodiak - for $12 did they just fix where it was coming apart or did they run a stitch down the leading edge? I ask because my 12m has a small seam tear and I figure I might as well get the better part of the leading edge reinforced at the same time.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostThu Jul 19, 07 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

It was just where it was coming about. I would guess the whole leading edge reinforced would be around $40. I have done both my 12 and 7m. I actually repaired the 12m myself with dental floss when I was in Mexico, and it is still holding really well Very Happy

hedquista

Since 13 Apr 2007
72 Posts
Salt lake city

PostThu Jul 19, 07 3:56 pm     Reply with quote

i spoke to them at airtime and they told me they would not do the whole leading edge because the more holes in the material means weaker kite. thy jsut repair where it is teraing or torn trying to use the same holes from first stiching.

it is not really something to worry about unless you are going to slam your kites hard alot. yes it happens but i have seen some do it more than i would like to see.

i use dental floss or a high tensile strength industrial grade thread and try to use the same puncture holes as the original sewing. it has held up really well.

keats

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 19, 07 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

Cool thanks guys I may just try fixing it myself!

Adam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: