Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiting @ Oahu in August

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Ringorama

Since 01 May 2006
64 Posts
Wilsonville

PostWed Jul 18, 07 9:55 pm    Kiting @ Oahu in August Reply with quote

Lurker no more. So I'm heading to Oahu North Shore in Late August for my bro's wedding and staying on the north shore near Turtle Bay. Can anybody fire over some suggestions on places to ride?

Thanks!

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Jul 18, 07 10:03 pm     Reply with quote

Kailua... Only place I've ever "ridden" there... Wind might not be the best in August, but whatever.

Here's JP's notes from awhile back: http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-1240.html

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostWed Jul 18, 07 11:27 pm     Reply with quote

Mokuleia all the way man! It's on the West side of the North shore by the little airport up there. You'll be riding over a coral reef in the waves, but it usually gets more wind than Kailua and actually has some nice breaking waves (a lot more than Kailua does). This is the spot that wave riding kiters go to on the North shore so check it out if you get a chance. Kailua should be fun too though if you want to hit that for some riding inside a bay with swell and some smooth waves out far in the middle. I've been to Oahu in March and September and gotten wind at both places (although there's usually more wind at Mokuleia). August should be pretty good I think...enjoy!

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostThu Jul 19, 07 2:35 am     Reply with quote

with danger of being ousted at Moks has been super consistent the past month or so..everday like clock work...11.30 somebody turns the switch.

I have not been able to go as much this year since I've been working more...which really bums me out...but anyways, yeah Moks is good and Kailua. There are other spots, but there are a lot of weird things going on, such as locals threatening the beatdowns etc. I do understand them a little since there been so many kiters (both tourists, careless or simply insane local riders)) not at all caring about the safety og others...not long ago a kiter got his messed up by rocks (hole in canopy and exploded leadng edge) from some (wind) surfers..

So the two main spots Kailua and Moks..if there is wind anywhere it is moks..as long as the clouds aren't too thick.

Check out our webside:
www.kiteoahu.com for info in rules in Kailua. This is super important as we are under the loop for a ban...only one place to launch, stay out of the swim zone and away from all other water users. The launch is pretty narrow, and Phil can attest too...bringing the first ever Best kite to the beach (I was waiting for mine at the time), and getting a hole in it from the branches of the overhanging trees. Also the tide is higher in the summer making the beach even more narrow.

when all this is said, welcoem, you can have some really great sessions here...wind gods permitting.

a.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: