Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

What time of year is best for Sauvie?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
KenB

Since 10 Sep 2019
19 Posts

PostFri Jun 07, 24 1:10 pm    What time of year is best for Sauvie? Reply with quote

It's closer to me, but not currently windy enough.

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
268 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 10, 24 6:54 am     Reply with quote

Looks like it was good yesterday. Season is now until September probably.
One thing you need to know is to keep your expectations low and be prepared to just chill on the berm/beach. Sauvie is notoriously fickle, but can also be pretty great especially with foils now.

Great new Wind Data site http://107.174.172.150/

The St. Helens Marina station is a good one to bookmark on iKite too. Between the two you can good idea of what it's doing and what it's going to be doing.

Couple of other data points:
https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=A3796&hours=72&fbclid=IwAR0SvUJ2c5BMyWtNQz1FEbJxrHTanqLBU-_n56kexHfKImt23PM_yXOfmfw

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/?obs=true&wfo=pqr&fbclid=IwAR0IViRDAj3VKWnm25sWAbdGL9grknJkVX3sO45i4rYTBWA9RBPkj-e35Ks

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2077 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 10, 24 2:24 pm    Yes, SI is fickle. Reply with quote

windpig wrote:
Looks like it was good yesterday.

I didn't go yesterday as it seemed like there was too much westward direction in the wind.

I've found that too much west wind in the wind (330* (approximately) to 270*) a wind shadow is created from the shore/launch point to a few hundred yards north on the Columbia. If one could get out there the kite/winging would be doable/great. Yesterday had some real high gusts into the mid 20's.

Have you been to Jones Beach yet?

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
546 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jun 11, 24 5:30 am     Reply with quote

i recall one of the different things about Sauvies was that it often went later, like after 8p, maybe someone else can comment on that. i gave up on that place as a regular go to a long time ago, just because i wanted something closer to a guarantee on the days i had to kite. Id imagine foiling has made that place different and more fun. I remember when we were out there trying to build plywood imitations of the slingshot glide and that whole thing trying to figure out better tools for light wind.

When its good there, its really fun and hard to beat. Also, super great community for mtg people out there.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2077 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Jun 11, 24 8:15 am    incoming tide/flood tide affects quality hit or miss Reply with quote

Not as much of an issue in the spring and early summer as the river is fuller with snow melt and spring rains. However, come late July and on, the tide can make the difference whether you trip out to SI is a hit or a miss.

I've forgotten the time delay, but I want to say it is like 5 hrs after the high tide at the mouth of the Columbia.

There are many posts about this on the forum.

Here is the nearest tide station on the Columbia from the SI launch/land / Reeder Beach.

https://www.tidetablechart.com/tides/hightide_lowtide/41465/Knapp%20Landing,%20Wash

KenB

Since 10 Sep 2019
19 Posts

PostWed Jun 12, 24 5:49 pm    Re: Yes, SI is fickle. Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
Have you been to Jones Beach yet?

Yes, is Jones Beach worth the extra 30 minutes of driving?

Also, the NWKite page on Sauvie mentions car break-ins. Is that still an issue?

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
268 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 12, 24 8:43 pm     Reply with quote

Jones Beach is definitely worth the extra 30min, well, really 60min there and back. Depends on where you live in town. Wind is almost always better at Jones! Blows super late too, 9-10pm.

Jones has swell (smallish, but still there on an ebb) Flatwater (tide dependent up by the ponds/and island) and much more consistent wind (if you're willing to go to the WA side. OR side is garbage on most days).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: