Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

F N G QUESTIONS
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 18, 07 12:26 pm    Forgot SELF RESCUE Reply with quote

The other thing that you need to be proficient in is SELF RESCUE. Don't ever plan on getting assistance, even though you most likely will. Bad things happen in this sport and you need to be able to take care of yourself.

No need for a bigger kite than 1m. learn as much and bored as soon. Bigger trainer kites will eventually rip when used for land boarding, as well as in high winds.

Plus the hottie can only handle the 1m in most conditions.

Board and kite purchases will have alot to do with where you live. I live in the gorge and my 11m is my bread and butter.

After a lesson or two and you can ride then demo gear.

Best bet is to buy new, 1 kite and matched bar, and one board. Then prove what else you need. the river is big and it is always lighter somewhere when it goes ballistic.

The other bet is a 2 or 4 m inflatables and practicee in the water.

We have used both and the 10 yr old is now self rescueing, then it is board time.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostWed Jul 18, 07 12:59 pm    what schools use what Reply with quote

kite the gorge w/ Carlos uses slingshot T2's
newwind uses Best Waroos
Gorge kiteboard school uses cabrihna xbows
brians uses liquid force assaults and havocs i think
bigwinds school uses north, i think.
not sure what hood river water play uses

if i were to get my brother a lesson, which i am because i'm sick of teaching him, i would get him a lesson with whoever is cheapest (and i do like my brother).

and true true on the trainer kite and hottie; i couldn't agree more.

I would say for a board, try to get something around ~145 - ~150 cm. Maybe start another thread asking what size board to learn on for somebody of your size or search first. You can get the right size board that you'll be able to learn on, and keep with you and use in most conditions. You just have to get the right size for your weight, so you'll be able to get up on it while learning, but not too big that it will be obsolete once you're proficient, IMO.

Definately make sure you learn how to self rescue, whether it be in a lesson or from a video, just know it.

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 18, 07 1:54 pm     Reply with quote

nwkite is to kiting as wanking is to sex: better'n nothing but not like the real thang! no wind sucks.

imho the trainer is wasted time-take lessons! traction kites fly so differently from trainers. save the hundred for a lesson.

when you first hit the water after you get riding, practice self-rescues. ask your instuctior to take you downwind from where you are going to be riding and look at the beach where you will likely wash up on. talk about how far from shore you should release.

if your instruction is jet-ski supported (and it should be) have him follow you down there and with supervision practice firing your safety, wrapping up your lines, geting to the kite, etc. you will be glad, maybe eternally glad you did this when (not if, when) you put the kite in the water or get blown downwind and need to do it for real.

there comes a time in every kiters life when he/she realizes that this shit is not a carnival ride. if you are prepared, you will survive the learning curve. if not, the very best outcome, the best, may be a grand's worth of kiting gear growing dust in your attic.

real kiteboarding intructional dvds are worth twice what they cost as an adjunct to professional instruction.

oh, and one final thing: keep your ass in.

best wishes

jimmi

climberusa

Since 14 May 2007
47 Posts
Spokane, WA

PostWed Jul 18, 07 4:28 pm     Reply with quote

I just started and recommend going for lessons. You'll learn much quicker. A trainer kite would be nice when you're bored and learning and can't get to the water but save your money for another lesson.

I recently took a private lesson from Carlos at Kite The Gorge and he was great. I took two other lesson from a certified instructor in Mexico and over 12 hours he didn't teach me a thing about self rescue. Carlos focused on that in the beginning.

He teaches with T2's or Fuels if you're willing. I don't know who is cheapest but even if h was the most expensive I would recommend him to anyone.

rich

Since 30 Nov 2005
306 Posts
portland
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 18, 07 5:55 pm     Reply with quote

Hey man,
The school you take lessons from will likely let you use their trainer before and after your lesson for additional practice. When i got into kiting, I bought a trainer then took lessons. The issue was/is that when you are flying the trainer you really aren't understanding the moves you need to make w/ the kite, though you are gaining experience keeping it in the sky and building comfort with the way that it feels.
If it were me, I'd point the hundred or so bucks for a trainer at a lesson and use the schools trainer kite before and after my lessons to build flying skills. I'm sure if you call up one of the schools and ask them this, they will very likely accomodate you. They'd much rather have your hundred bucks and let you use their gear.

STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 19, 07 8:24 am     Reply with quote

responses from ya all is to cool, thanks...so, more fng questions are coming to mind....i will take lessons...and watch the vids...learn how to self rescue, exsercise all the proper ethics ....bring my jet skies to the river to aid with rescues add what ever i have to offer to the community....how stupid would it be for me to say get a 9m kite and practice flying it in light wind say at sauvies or the sand bar with only instructuin from a vid...

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostThu Jul 19, 07 8:54 am     Reply with quote

STORMRIDER wrote:
how stupid would it be for me to say get a 9m kite and practice flying it in light wind say at sauvies or the sand bar with only instructuin from a vid...

Last year, i thought it might be alright for my little brother to try and fly my 9m fuel when some friends and I were out riding my 20.5 machine in light winds and he got lofted and slammed down on the sand pretty good. Enough of a shake up for him to put the kites away for a while.

but when I was learning, i flew a 6m LEI kite in super light winds on the soccer field w/o any incidents.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostThu Jul 19, 07 8:56 am     Reply with quote

bad idea set it up wrong or make a mistake and it is off to the hospital.

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostThu Jul 19, 07 8:57 am     Reply with quote

That would be akin to telling all the people that took the time to write up some advice for you to go f**k themselves cuz you are going to do it your way no matter what.

I've helped rescue guys being dragged downwind towards a bridge in shark infested waters who "just wanted to see how their new kite flew.. but dont worry I am taking lessons in a couple weeks..."

blah.

phooey.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 19, 07 8:59 am     Reply with quote

STORMRIDER wrote:
how stupid would it be for me to say get a 9m kite and practice flying it in light wind say at sauvies or the sand bar with only instructuin from a vid...

It's more about how much apparent wind a kite can generate. If you send it through the power zone it will gain speed rapidly and produce quite a lot of pull. Think about how a plane traveling faster gets more lift. Things can go bad pretty quick.

If you're hell bent on going it alone, come down to the Sandbar and I'll at least teach you how to launch and land as that's where you're most likely to get hurt or hurt someone else. I know you're itching to get started, but lets do it safely.

STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 19, 07 9:17 am     Reply with quote

i hear ya all....it would be unadvisible to say the least...thanks for the insight....this is why i ask....not to get your hackels up ,bleighty,,ez....so the videos don't teach safe riging ,launching, depowering ect...?

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Jul 19, 07 9:28 am     Reply with quote

Big difference in what you read/watch compared to actually doing it. Why would you want to punish yourself and others by not taking a lesson? It would suck to get hurt learning by yourself and miss the rest of the season. It would suck even more to hurt someone else......

Plus the fact that instructors have a "system" to teach in steps. I was amazed at what Amery did with my son.

Good luck and welcome to the sickness!!

www.naishkites.com

STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 23, 07 7:16 am     Reply with quote

......is it necessary to use the bar specific to the brand and or model of kite? can any bar be rigged to fly any kite?

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostMon Jul 23, 07 7:34 am     Reply with quote

it really varies..

many around here use the waroo 07 bar as its just a basic 4 line setup w/ lot of depower range and an easy to adjust stopper..

The monkeykite bar is similar w/ the depower at the loop.

i think the flexifoil bar is similar as well but i HATE the depower strap on that thing.

some tho work best w/ their appropriate bar setup.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jul 23, 07 7:46 am     Reply with quote

The only bars that don't mix well are the ones with the pulleys on them. For those you can only use kites that are designed for the pulleys (and vice versa.) Oh and don't try to run a 5th line bar on a 4 line kite.

STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 23, 07 7:50 am     Reply with quote

could you please mention a few of those you are aware of that run pulleys on the more recent 06, 07 ,08 models...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: