Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

F N G QUESTIONS
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 18, 07 10:58 am    F N G QUESTIONS Reply with quote

so after a little research, i've got a couple of questions to start, please, any advise is much valued....which training vid should i get? should i decide which kite i want to get into and get the training vid for that stlye or brand or does that really make a dif...do i get a training kite new for $125ish does anyone have one for less used or do i get the first kite for my quiver and learn to fly that way....my inclination is to go right to a used 06/07 fifth line bow kite setup, maybe a wahroo, but the c kites are cheaper...what to do...i weigh 210lbs. and want a bread and butter kite for my first purchase so what size should i be looking for ..if in the wahroo is it a 9/11 ish or... and what if i go ss or what else is good for the $..looking for a deal on used kites without any first hand knowledge is drivn me nuts....what would anyone tell their brother who was in my spot...thirsty for your ideas....thanks....looking for input on all my gear from board on up...interested in keeping the return on my investment as high as possible...want to get the gear now that i will still be riding a couple of years....don't want to upgrade when i get to intermediate level...

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 18, 07 11:04 am     Reply with quote

First you need to get a trainer kite and a video. Watch the portions of the video that relate to flying the trainer kite, spend at least 3 to 5 hours on the trainer. Then you need to take a lesson with a professional instructor. Once you've got body dragging down during the lessons you can then purchase a kite and practice it on your own. Practice body dragging as much as you can stand. Only then will you have the skills to start learning to board start. Take another lesson.

If you do things in this order you'll learn along the way, spread your costs out over a few months, and progress quickly and safely.

I'd recommend this DVD. It's a little dated but the most complete in my opinion: http://www.kitefilm.com/eng/complete.asp

I would buy a new trainer kite as they always come in handy down the road when you want to introduce your friends to the sport without killing them.

STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 18, 07 11:08 am     Reply with quote

okay, so i get the trainer...what size do i get and where do i fly it

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostWed Jul 18, 07 11:15 am     Reply with quote

STORMRIDER wrote:
okay, so i get the trainer...what size do i get and where do i fly it

get a 2m or 3m trainer kite. being 210lbs you could probably hold down a 3m no problemo.

If you're in Hood River the grass soccer field on the road to the port marina park is a good spot to fly trainers.

Pretty much anywhere on the sandbar is also a good spot to fly trainers, just set yourself up so that you're not flying to kite over anybody in case you crash it into the ground. Dont know of any other trainer kite spots except in HR.

i'd say go used on a trainer kite if you can, i bought a used one, and it worked perfect until i lost it because i left it on the hood of my friends SUV. Confused

STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 18, 07 11:29 am     Reply with quote

is there an advantage or disadtvantage to having a bigger trainer, now or in the long run... training should be completed this weekend as we will be attending the BOG fest...so then what? get with carlos or another instructor....i want to take lessons on the kind of kite that i will likely end up with... what kind of kites does he use for lessons...what do the other schools use?is this the wrong place to ask stuff like this?....

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostWed Jul 18, 07 11:29 am     Reply with quote

i vote that you only get a used trainer..

once you progress to the large kites you will prob never take it out again.

Smile

but info from Forrest is spot on.

Going into the sport the right way (lessons/body dragging/maybe more lessons) will get you going w/ the least chance of injury to yourself or others. Plus it shows to others that you are taking the time and effort to be serious about it.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 18, 07 11:32 am     Reply with quote

3m trainer will be more fun than a 1m, but 2m is pretty standard. Size is proportional to cost.

I think most people teach on SLEs these days. You will have more of an idea what kind of kite you want after your lesson. The instructor should also cover this with you.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, that's what we're here for.

Last edited by forrest on Wed Jul 18, 07 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Jul 18, 07 11:32 am     Reply with quote

You really need to keep a trainer kite in the car at all times! When a little hottie comes up to you on the beach you can say "wanna try".

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 18, 07 11:41 am     Reply with quote

i have a 4-line 3.6m trainer (I'm 145lbs)... i used it out at sunset beach and landboarded with it many times! a couple of times, it got a little hot...but that just teaches you how to use the safety system.

somewhere around that size is good....though the small ones fly in just about no wind.

i also keep it in my car at all times... you never know when it might be in the air.

STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 18, 07 11:44 am     Reply with quote

so now for a loaded qustion... i have no idea who is affiliated with who or what products but who would you send you brother to take a lesson, assuming you like your brother.....i read good things about the mystic harness, the dakine felt good when i tried it on....how many diff boards do you ride...can you get away with just one being the right one for most conditions....

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed Jul 18, 07 11:48 am     Reply with quote

If you want to use a specific brand check at the store that sells that brand for lessons. 2nd wind (slingshot) New wind (best waroo) Big winds (North) Windwing(windwing.

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostWed Jul 18, 07 11:48 am     Reply with quote

important thing about the trainers is learning subtle control..

i see tons of guys zipping their trainers around like its a stunt kite.

yes, you can loop a trainer w/o effort .. but learning to control it precisely through points in the wind window is where its at.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostWed Jul 18, 07 11:57 am     Reply with quote

If you want to learn quickly, you can do without a trainer kite and take more lessons. that's the route I took, more because I didn't even know about trainer kites. It's not as cost effective but you will get one on one instruction instead of a DVD. but you will not have a kite for the beach hottie... I really just didn't want to wait for a trainer kite in the mail watch a DVD and have to go to some field and wait for wind. I wanted to get on the water ASAP, worked for me.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostWed Jul 18, 07 12:01 pm     Reply with quote

STORMRIDER wrote:
so now for a loaded qustion... i have no idea who is affiliated with who or what products but who would you send you brother to take a lesson, assuming you like your brother.....i read good things about the mystic harness, the dakine felt good when i tried it on....how many diff boards do you ride...can you get away with just one being the right one for most conditions....

Check out this post on lessons, helped this dude out.
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-4752.html

STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 18, 07 12:04 pm     Reply with quote

for the non tard...how many hours of practicing/lessons could one exspect to do before board in the water...

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostWed Jul 18, 07 12:11 pm     Reply with quote

STORMRIDER wrote:
for the non tard...how many hours of practicing/lessons could one exspect to do before board in the water...

http://www.gorgekite.com/page-7.php

(I think thats enough NWkite.com for me for one day)

STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 18, 07 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for the link spike...i will be using the search feature to find more info from previous posts...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: