Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Is there anything harder than trying to decide which kite?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jul 17, 07 9:11 am    Is there anything harder than trying to decide which kite? Reply with quote

Ok, so the baby is sick, I've had about 7 hours of sleep in two days, and just finished my 5th cup of coffee this morning. So I thought this would be a good time to decide which kite to buy this week. LOL.

I need a new kite around the 12m size so I started pouring over the avialable choices...and I have basically read so much that I can't even decide on what type of kite I want. I'm not even sure how many friggin types of kites there are anymore. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I'm a big fan of crossbows even though this isn't "cabrinha country" They fly fast, boost huge, and almost never invert. The problem..the bar pressure sucks and the pulley mod doesn't really help to much. I found the T2 to be fairly similar in performance, albeit a little slower, but better bar pressure. But I kind of miss the days of "extreme C kiting" where your edging for your life and when you sent the kite, jumps were explosive so maybe I should get that brand new 13m 06' fuel for $475. But then again, sometimes I just like cruising; at 36 years old, I'm probably not going to jump start my professional freestyle kiteboarder career anytime soon. So maybe the Fuel is overkill..how would it be in the waves.

So C or bow, C or Bow? Hey those waroo pro's look nice. My friends 06' 9m roo flies great but his 14 flies like an old garbage bag. Besides, the pro's are pretty spendy, would have to wait until next year. Then again, those helix kites looking money! are they the answer? The best of both worlds? Super performance, awesome range, depower, surely it must be worth putting on the old mastercard.

I guess I just wonder why its so fucking hard to get a decent review of gear? The forums typically turn into pissing matches of "nu huh", "ya huh". And it seems every single magazine review is soo worried about their goddamn advertisers that all they ever do is find 20 different ways to say "well suited for the intermediate to advanced riders, this kite performs well"

Why can't they just come out and say..this kite is slow, has a janky bridle, and lacks any real low end, your money is best spent elsewhere.

Ok, my rant is over. Very Happy

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 17, 07 9:20 am     Reply with quote

PMB - dude, I feel you on this. I'm confused as hell. I am also helping a lady friend put together her quiver. So not only do I think about my own quiver and my needs (a 185 pound rider who likes to ride fast!!) I also think about her needs - a 110 pound lady who just likes to cruise.

Its tough - lots of choices - a lot of cash to be spent - and your kite does affect the quality of your experience.

My lady friend decided to go with some waroos - I think they will suit her just fine.

Oh and the magazine reviews - whatever. They almost all seem to say the same thing - just spin it a bit different. No real substance to their reviews.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 17, 07 9:27 am     Reply with quote

Start here:

06-07 C kites have more than enough depower. If they had the range of an SLE, we would not need SLEs.

Give a modern C kite a go and you'll realize that they're not the same AeroIIs that used to hand us our asses all the time. You're not the same kiter you were last time you rode a C kite.

The 07 Fuel is a sick kite, the 11m especially. If you have the funds don't hesitate, just buy it. Keep your crossbows for those gusty days and the fuel for the smooth days.

http://www.realkiteboarding.com/index.cfm?page=detail&catID=475&productID=8289

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostTue Jul 17, 07 9:28 am     Reply with quote

Forrest has some valid points although I haven't tried any '07 C kites myself so can't compare the range. Also, it sounds like you might want to try some '07 Hybrid/SLE kites. I ride one after riding C kites for over four years and it felt like a pretty natural transition for me. I also demoed a bunch of them at the Pismo beach expo this year so I know there's at least some variety out there (definitely more than in '06). Check out and demo some of the '07 flat kites WITHOUT a pulley system on the bar to see if you like it. This typically means more direct and quick response (more of a C kite feel), with some of the depower of the bows. Just wanted to throw that in so you wouldn't overlook it since you seem to be in the same boat I was in.
Last edited by genek on Tue Jul 17, 07 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 17, 07 9:30 am     Reply with quote

True True Genek, the 07 SLE/Hybrids like the Switchblade and Waroo are awesome. I mentioned the fuel only because it sounds like he wants to get back to the C kites.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Jul 17, 07 9:36 am     Reply with quote

the way i decided on my brand/make of choice was by comparing all the technical features of each bar + kite combo. North has the 5th element system w/ the bundled fifth line and leading edge lines. Slingshot has the independant 5th line + wave grenade combo and ability to flatten out your kite on the fly. Naish has the shift system and double depower and i've seen the torch rigged with either an independant 5th line or a bundled 5th line, like the north setup. These are really the only 3 brands of kites i've ever considered buying, so i can't list off any technical features of other kite brands like gk or cabrinha, etc.

anyway, so decide what tech features you value most, and go from there. I dunno, for me it was easy the independant fifth line and being able to flatten the kite on the fly for different flying characteristics + the wave grenade to save my kite in case of bow ties, was a simple decision.

I've told you PDXMB, if you come to da Hood i'll let you ride one of my fuels. Everyone else, i've ever let try them has just been blown away at the range and how it handles.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 17, 07 9:36 am     Reply with quote

i've been watching the development of the new Best Nemi HP... it seems like they are getting C performance into a bow (if you buy into simon's hype)... i'm also waiting for the new Naish... you never know...live...or memorex.... Smile

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 17, 07 9:39 am     Reply with quote

On the older Fuels the outside lines go slack when you depower - which makes the kite less responsive. Is this also true for the 07 fuels?

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostTue Jul 17, 07 9:43 am     Reply with quote

More and more I think I'm really leaning towards that 13M fuel. That, and my CB 9 (and that monstrosity CB16) I would/could go just about anywhere.

I found a deal on a brand new 06 fuel 13 for $475 complete. That is smoking. I heard that then 07 fuels are a little bit better...but not noticeably different. (Like $600 different Smile

Sometimes when I am flying bows I just feel..."soft" Crying or Very sad

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jul 17, 07 9:44 am     Reply with quote

I'd say... buy from one of these guys:

http://www.kb4c.org/sponsors.html

Obviously they care about supporting the local NW events, that's important in my opinion. Thumb's Up

Also if you can, buy from local shops don't buy from REAL they're in Hatteras.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostTue Jul 17, 07 9:58 am     Reply with quote

I definitely try to keep my purchases local.

To that end, I just bought a Mystic harness from Jason at jetty island kite and skim in Seattle and he was very cool. Actually sold me a warrior used 3 times for $40 cheaper. I think they are the only people in the PNW with those harnesses.

Maybe I'll just buy a bikini from ASI instead of a new kite. LOL

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Jul 17, 07 10:06 am     Reply with quote

terremoto wrote:
On the older Fuels the outside lines go slack when you depower - which makes the kite less responsive. Is this also true for the 07 fuels?

The '06 and '07 Fuels "flatten" out a lot more when the bar is pushed out... That isn't to say that if you try to depower it more than the kite will "flex" that it won't slack the rears, it just has a lot more depower before this happens.

SLACK in 20m lines on my '05 Fuel 7...

sentone

Since 10 Feb 2006
66 Posts

PostTue Jul 17, 07 10:14 am     Reply with quote

for me this is a no debate problem kiting and kites get better as the sport evolves and the needs of kite styles and ridding moves FORWARD....some have only flat water......some like myself have only waves....few have both and need more toys and make more choses depending on the mood...no need to stress .....all are looking for one thing FUN....my suggestion ........go straight to SLINGSHOT......talk to shy grab a TD2.....it might feel different than what your used to remember going forward ........it wont take long ..and you wont ever look back...if something goes out .....then forsure youll be glad you got SLINGSHOT.....cuz they back there stuff like NO other company and there great people ......i know this from years of experence ...........to sum it up.....ride what you like like what you ride..... go forward.......have fun ....its only toys..no need stress,,,,and have more FUN Exclamation Exclamation Arrow Idea

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostTue Jul 17, 07 10:39 am     Reply with quote

sentone wrote:
go straight to SLINGSHOT......talk to shy grab a TD2.....it might feel different than what your used to remember going forward ........it wont take long ..and you wont ever look back...if something goes out .....then forsure youll be glad you got SLINGSHOT.....cuz they back there stuff like NO other company and there great people ....

ummm perhaps you didn't read my post. I have talked to Shy, and Emery, and I have ridden their T2 demos so much I should probably buy one out of guilt...but the T2 isn't really doing it for me.

My style and riding IS progressing and changing, and that IS the reason for my post. You have to get out of your comfort zone and when your going to plunk down 7-8 hundred clams to do so, its nice to be a little informed.

Agreed though, SS is a great company and they make quality gear. I'm really really really leaning towards a fuel.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 17, 07 10:43 am     Reply with quote

Have you found that you have to use the same brand bar with the specific kite?

I am asking because I really like riding North bars - simply because they have a micro hook and a micro loop that allows me to ride fully powered. I love the way it feels Very Happy

Could i use the North bar on say - a fuel? Or would the fuel not be the same kite with a NOrth bar?

magicmaker wrote:
the way i decided on my brand/make of choice was by comparing all the technical features of each bar + kite combo. North has the 5th element system w/ the bundled fifth line and leading edge lines. Slingshot has the independant 5th line + wave grenade combo and ability to flatten out your kite on the fly. Naish has the shift system and double depower and i've seen the torch rigged with either an independant 5th line or a bundled 5th line, like the north setup. These are really the only 3 brands of kites i've ever considered buying, so i can't list off any technical features of other kite brands like gk or cabrinha, etc.

anyway, so decide what tech features you value most, and go from there. I dunno, for me it was easy the independant fifth line and being able to flatten the kite on the fly for different flying characteristics + the wave grenade to save my kite in case of bow ties, was a simple decision.

I've told you PDXMB, if you come to da Hood i'll let you ride one of my fuels. Everyone else, i've ever let try them has just been blown away at the range and how it handles.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Jul 17, 07 10:47 am     Reply with quote

I've seen several guys ride the 5 lines North bars on their Fuels and so long as the lines are all equal, there shouldn't be any problem with mixing and matching. More often though, I see people riding SS bars on other kites. The '07+ Slingy bars are the shiet, and with the active stopper, there's no need for a full power hook! Very Happy

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Jul 17, 07 10:52 am     Reply with quote

I have lent my kites out to people, and they tried rigging it with a north bar, bad bad idea because it took forever to tune the lines so everything was equal and then the kite still flew kinda funky. Also, north kites are made to use the 5th line in tandem with the 2 other leading edge lines so trying to rig an independant fifth line on a kite not designed for it is probably a bad idea.

Slingshot bars on slingshot kites, and north bars on north kites. Some other brands seem to have the ability to change it up. I know lots of people ride SS bars on best kites and it works great. I've not ridden enough naish kites to know if you can change it up w/ the bar, but i imagine the new helix kites will work best with the naish bars.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: