Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Is there anything harder than trying to decide which kite?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jkkiter

Since 28 Jun 2006
43 Posts

PostTue Jul 17, 07 11:26 am    My vote for T2 too.... Reply with quote

Went through the same process as you, fretting about what to get a couple months. Tried several SLE kites (Best, Naish, Liquid Force) and then the T2. Difference was the customer service. The guys at Slingshot gave me a demo to use for a few days rather than a few hours. My decision was also helped by the fact that C kites were not an option, had 2006 fuels and was looking for something more forgiving - more depower and a bigger range. Getting teabagged in the middle of the Columbia in 35 mph gusts gets old fast! 9m T2 seems to have a bigger range than both my 9m and 13m 2006 fuels put together. Agree totally with the previous post, have never looked back and am finally progressing faster than ever....Decision of Slingshot also based on several factors including: overall ride and feel, one pump, pump leash, quality construction, the way they look flying vs. other kites (less bounce and ripple in gusts), bar setup, ease of relaunch, customer service, etc. Have seen other kites out there look like they are going to self destruct in the gusts in the Gorge but not the Slingshots. Solid...

thealohakid

Since 09 Aug 2006
58 Posts
MAUI

PostTue Jul 17, 07 11:39 am    waroo Reply with quote

I love my 07 waroo's they fly great. Feel free to call me if you want to demo my 13. I usually try to kite Stevenson but let me know. Best keeps their prices down and has the best warrenty in the business.
thealohakid@msn.com

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 17, 07 12:34 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmb,
yeah, i feel ya here. and you're right, this is not cab-country.

and it also isn't sonic country.

bought an 11m gk last year, new old stock.

flew ss fuels before, great kites but prolly too much of the wrong kind of performace for an OG; still fly my 06 13m great kite in its sweet spot.

the sonic deserves a word. i have flown the contra and the td2, and the sonic is the fasting flying kite i have ever been on. its build quality is a bit light for an old ss hand, probably why it is so frickin fast. its predictable, great low end.

i spent 3 weeks in cabarete in june and it got so i didnt take any other the other (north, naish and ss) kites out of the locker.

pm me if you want a ride on it, its ugly but its SO much fun.

jimmi

SoOR

Since 10 Mar 2007
56 Posts
Ashland, OR

PostTue Jul 17, 07 1:26 pm    well at least you are asking/researching Reply with quote

i just saw this gear post on ebay (selling an '01 ss fuel and claiming its a 2005 fuel)......this is why locals should really educate beginners, i hope the guy who buys this has had lessons, that is a painful kite to learn on

http://cgi.ebay.com/Slingshot-fuel-140-kite-board-lines-everything-uneed_W0QQitemZ140139214990QQihZ004QQcategoryZ114263QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostTue Jul 17, 07 1:44 pm     Reply with quote

I fly waroos cuz I really am trying to do this sport on the least expensive route..I am older (36).. casual about it (just love to ride) and just like to have fun (why I live in Florida)..

I dont need "explosive" in my life ... Smile

But... if i had the $$$ i would be 100% flexifoil equipped.. Ive been able to demo Billy Parker's rig here locally and its awe-inspiring amazing.. t

Def give flexi a demo at least ..

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostTue Jul 17, 07 1:45 pm     Reply with quote

Shouldn't we contact ebay or something? Imagine the poor guy that ends up with that kite. That's what I learned on in '02 and it wasn't pretty.

SoOR

Since 10 Mar 2007
56 Posts
Ashland, OR

PostTue Jul 17, 07 3:52 pm     Reply with quote

genek wrote:
Shouldn't we contact ebay or something? Imagine the poor guy that ends up with that kite. That's what I learned on in '02 and it wasn't pretty.

i emailed the seller. but not much you can do about it, the world of used gear. i bought and took lessons local in gorge when i first started and the local input for gear based on local condition is invaluable (but back then i learned in '02 there was not much to choose from and New wind taught me on a wipika hydro and my 1st kite was a new 2 line slingshot torque (learned real quick why people in gorge werent using 2line.....i think i launched 100 ft on my torque, underwater that is....those old kites scared the sh#T out of me).......man, gear has gotten better

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Jul 17, 07 3:59 pm     Reply with quote

yeah 01 for sure, I can't believe a seller named bluntmandan would make that kind of mistake. Laughing Laughing Laughing

endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostTue Jul 17, 07 4:28 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmb, you can try my fuels also. i have 07 and 06 kites. the new bar gives crazy depower and they turn plenty fast. i take them out in very gusty conditions. i have to note that i think board choice is also very important in gusty conditions. problem is with all the sle kites out there and so many new kiters that never have ridden good new c kites, the marketing is focused on the new riders. lots of hype to the sle kites. unfortunately this will kill the market share of the fuels, torch 2s, and all other c kites. eventually ss may have to succum to the bandwagon that is the sle kite. hope thy keep making kites like the fuel. it rocks. a crazy sweet kite.

you even see bam bam reporting he will switch from his c kites to the helix. he has always been a dihard c kite guy. but remember, he is a naish employee and as such i am sure he will always be required to go the party line. and these companies gotta go with where the market share is moving in this biz. i know that technology and inovation will allow kite design to evolve. we consumers will always want to seek out anything that will make us a better kiter and the companies rely on this when developing and marketing thier new product. right now the sle kites are the thing. they will find pros to ride it, charismatic and connected people to give it props, make it cool looking and put an ad in the mags with hot girls standing in front of the product. is it any better than last years product? maybe a bit. is it worth the investment to sell your last years gear for nothing.....hard to say. will it make you a better kiter? probably not. but if you got the cash to burn, go for it. always feels bood having new shit, the latest and the greatest. i have personally been caught being the consumer and also buying hybrid and sle kites hoping to find this ultimate kite experience.....but for me the fuels keep winning the comparisons. i also just think you cant do better than the ss bar system and the guys at ss are the best.

it was sure tough for me this weekend, totally enjoying myself using a dying technology calle the c kite. gusty, up and down conditions, and all the time on an 11m fuel. Cool

so dont give up on the c kite just yet in your search for the next new thing.

ps: i stand firm on my commitment to Fuels.... at least until they talk me into next years Revs. Very Happy

Last edited by endoshred on Tue Jul 17, 07 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 17, 07 5:26 pm     Reply with quote

How much pull does an 07 fuel have compared to an 05 fuel. For example. does a 13M 07 fuel pull about as much as a 15M 05 fuel?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jul 17, 07 5:45 pm     Reply with quote

If you want more upwind pull size for size I'd say go for SLE's.

If you want faster turning and more solid downwind pull for wake-style tricks go for C's.

For awhile this year I had both, I think if you have both in your quiver you really get best of both worlds but it can make choosing what gear to go out on each day that much harder.

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostWed Jul 18, 07 1:44 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:

If you want faster turning and more solid downwind pull for wake-style tricks go for C's.

For awhile this year I had both, I think if you have both in your quiver you really get best of both worlds but it can make choosing what gear to go out on each day that much harder.

exactly..the right tool for the right job Smile

I am hoping the helix can do more of that job though. It did feel like it could do a lot very well. I guess time will tell..I need a lot more time on it. There are some rumours about a demo here soon...I'll be friggin;' camping on the beach to have a go.

I've had some killer light wind session lately..it is so much fun when you start getting more consistent on new tricks. Smile

oh and a great write up.

a.

btw. there were some guy here that had experience with a foil board...well now I have one on my lanai waiting for a tow tomorrow!!!! Yay. should be fun!!!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jul 18, 07 7:40 am     Reply with quote

Another thing to consider is you can chase different style kites and new technologies forever, but really most people just need to work on their own skills. I know when I stop thinking about what kind of kite and I start thinking on what I should be doing myself to get better, that's when I really progress.

Go back and watch some of those old videos and you will see guys absolutely killing it on old 2 line kites... anything is possible really.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostWed Jul 18, 07 8:08 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:

see, that is why i love the fuel, because i can pull in the 5th line, flatten the kite out, it flies faster to the edge of the window and makes for more upwind pull, similiar, but probably not as effecient as a SLE. You can't beat having the best of both worlds in one kite. The only problem i have is deciding which size to ride. Very Happy

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 18, 07 8:35 am     Reply with quote

I've gone back to C kites but fortunately (unfortunately for my wallet) my wife rides and she likes SLEs. So we have both. On the frontal days, SLE all the way, on the thermal days C kite all the way!

If I'm trying new tricks or attempting the slider I like the 5th line total depower. If I'm down to carve, do transitions, hit some waves I like the SLE. If my wife has already pumped up her kites, I'll just ride those regardless of what I feel like doing, Hehhe!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jul 18, 07 8:46 am     Reply with quote

Yeah the wife/girlfriend excuse is a good one for the C/SLE quiver. Cool

Just gets kind of expensive.

Don't forget board quivers too... need a TT with straps, wakeboard style with bindings, skimboard, surfboard, wakeskate, and a Glide to really be prepared. Wink

Pretty soon we'll all have vans like the windsurfers...

tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostWed Jul 18, 07 9:02 am     Reply with quote

Don't want to pimp... so I'll be short.

There are a lot of great kites out there and there are lots of good companies with good people working for them... making the moral support choice easier than ever...

They are all a little bit different though and we all have different tastes. The key is to find what you like to ride and what makes you smile.

My LF Havocs make me smile and do so for a number of others as well, so you should at least give it a try. Our NWLiquid.com team believes in no pressure sales, but we are 100% committed to go out of our way to provide others with the opportunity to try them out.

Havoc in a nutshell:

I Call it the SL-C. It is a simple le bridle supported modified C shape. Best of both worlds! Super stable and predictable unhooked and yet has the depower of a modern SLE.

PM me through the forum and we'll coordinate to at least get you on one for bit and then you can decide how it feels.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: