Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

30 meter kite !!!!!!!
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dckiteboards

Since 10 Mar 2007
5 Posts

Kook

PostTue Jul 17, 07 3:19 am    30 meter kite !!!!!!! Reply with quote

here is our beast!!!!

http://www.kiteforum.tv/index.php?option=com_videos&task=show&id=1535&Itemid=

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 17, 07 7:28 am     Reply with quote

I think I just found my new kite for SI!!

hedquista

Since 13 Apr 2007
72 Posts
Salt lake city

PostTue Jul 17, 07 8:37 am    big kite Reply with quote

i flew a liquid force 26 m i think. it was the slowest beast i have ever tried to fly. not worth they effort but that is pretty sweet. it is one slow kite loop. you might try starting the loop before you unhook.

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostTue Jul 17, 07 8:55 am     Reply with quote

they edited out the part where the guy on a 17m waroo and skim board flies by totally powered...

dckiteboards

Since 10 Mar 2007
5 Posts

Kook

PostTue Jul 17, 07 12:54 pm     Reply with quote

I can land unhooked loops on this thing as well as back roll kiteloops, front loops. transitions... etc

it definitly doesn't turn fast but once you get used to it, its kinda fun. plus what else would you be doing in ten knots....

hummm lets pump the thirty....

SoOR

Since 10 Mar 2007
56 Posts
Ashland, OR

PostTue Jul 17, 07 1:17 pm    i was hoping to see them try to water relaunch it Reply with quote

Smile.

you know you're addicted to kiting when you're willing to go out on days when you need a 30m

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jul 17, 07 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

dckiteboards wrote:
plus what else would you be doing in ten knots....

my girl friend! Very Happy Razz Cool

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Jul 17, 07 2:01 pm     Reply with quote

dckiteboards wrote:
what else would you be doing in ten knots....

drinking beer in the parking lot Drunk

KITEADDICT

Since 13 Apr 2006
117 Posts
PDX west side
Stoked

PostTue Jul 17, 07 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

I gave up mu 20m c for a 15m waroo and I can kite in about the same low end wind. 30m way to much to pump up.

dckiteboards

Since 10 Mar 2007
5 Posts

Kook

PostTue Jul 17, 07 7:25 pm     Reply with quote

My BIGGEST KITE for 5 years since I have started kiting and is still my biggest , is a 13 EH freestyle. I use this when everyone else is out on there 17's well my buddy has had this 30 for 4 years now. well recently my work has changed and I cant do 4am to 12noon everyday. So now I am on the ambulance getting ready to start school as a medic this fall and my days off are set so if theres 10 knots well then down goes the beer and out comes the 30....

but pretty soon I will have a nice paycheck and only have to work 2 days and nights out of the week and have off all the rest for kiting.......

KidCorporate

Since 10 Jul 2007
563 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 18, 07 6:31 am     Reply with quote

Dude, you could power that thing with a drinking straw! Make your own wind!

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 18, 07 8:16 am     Reply with quote

big kites suck.
jimmi

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jul 18, 07 2:11 pm    Stop the big kite snobbery Reply with quote

OK, someone took down the Hein post. You know the one which said something like this: Questions for the kooks out there that ride big kites

1: Do you think your ripping it up when your out riding a big kite?

2: Do you download 65m files of people riding big kites?

Here is my reply, which probably will be taken down sometime soon:

Yeah, when I'm out in the ocean or at SI on my 16m C or 19m C, smiling, having a good time, jumping, I often think to myself, "I must look like a 'kook' out here with such a big kite. Then it comes to me, if only I was riding a Hein board, I wouldn't be a 'kook' anymore." Razz Just a playful jab, but on a more serious note.

Ripping it is a relative term for everyone. Would I prefer to ride a smaller kite most times? HELL YES. They turn faster and are much easier to pump, more fun to ride in the waves etc etc. . . But I make the best of what the conditions offer up here in the NW part of the state. Yeah, if I was in the gorge most of the time or mid to southern Oregon coast I wouldn't want or need the big kites, but I not. I would prefer to ride than get skunked any day, especially if I drove a long distance to kite.

So to answer Hein's deleted post questions: #1 I don't think I'm ripping it up often, but once in awhile. Like the choice day when it was sunny and hot, 15 second intervals between the 10' swell at Tolovana a couple yrs back in Sept. and I just pasted over some migrating gray whales. Only 3 others with big kites were out because everyone else didn't have a big enough kite/power to get over those big waves/swell and point sail.

#2 No on the download of 65m files of big kites. I'd rather watch someone ripping it up while riding a smaller kite and doing all kinds of stuff.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostWed Jul 18, 07 2:20 pm    Re: Stop the big kite snobbery Reply with quote

i think my friend described my condition best as windsnobitis. Very Happy It is true us Gorge folk are pretty spoiled with consistantly strong west wind and that is why we tend to ride the beach with beer in hand on the lighter days.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jul 18, 07 2:33 pm     Reply with quote

Here comes my small kite snobbery post...

Lightwind kiting can be fun, but I would much rather see how small a kite I can go then how big. The other day I was planning on my surfboard in such light wind that there was no whitecaps and my kite probably would have fell out of the sky if I stopped moving it. The kite was a 7m. Wink

Big slow kites that take a half hour to turn, who needs it? Sasquach aren't you still on that 16m AeroII I sold you almost 4 years ago?

Especially for waves just go out on a stand-up paddle board and a trainer kite... hey that actually sounds like a good idea. Very Happy

Seriously though I think a 14m SLE with a Glide would work way better than that 30m monster.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 18, 07 2:47 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:

Lightwind kiting can be fun, but I would much rather see how small a kite I can go then how big. The other day I was planning on my surfboard in such light wind that there was no whitecaps and my kite probably would have fell out of the sky if I stopped moving it. The kite was a 7m. Wink

Big slow kites that take a half hour to turn, who needs it? Sasquach aren't you still on that 16m AeroII I sold you almost 4 years ago?

Especially for waves just go out on a stand-up paddle board and a trainer kite... hey that actually sounds like a good idea. Very Happy

Seriously though I think a 14m SLE with a Glide would work way better than that 30m monster.

No argument here...
seems like an expensive way to be introduced to the concept of "deminishing returns".

Anyone care to guess ( & I don't have a clue) how many of these Monster where actually produced?

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Jul 18, 07 3:06 pm     Reply with quote

Obviously not very many - the main point of this clip was to show off the beast - its main appeal was the strangeness of the size. If they produced a lot - they wouldn't be strange and no clip would have ever been produced. That and we would see a lot of kooks at SI thinking they were hot shit with their 30M kites. And they would be hot shit after pumping up that thing (the sun would probably be gone by the time they finished).

J.P. wrote:
pkh wrote:

No argument here...
seems like an expensive way to be introduced to the concept of "deminishing returns".

Anyone care to guess ( & I don't have a clue) how many of these Monster where actually produced?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: