Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Keeping my new kite from getting stolen --- any tips?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
hiker1

Since 01 Jul 2007
124 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Jul 16, 07 8:44 pm    Keeping my new kite from getting stolen --- any tips? Reply with quote

New kiteboarder here ---

Soon I'll be buying (charging) a new or at least a 2006 Bow kite. In reality, that kite will be one the most expensive things I own, next to my car - damn, it may be worth more!. I never buy new stuff, but y'all already know how much more user friendly the newer kites are vs older/cheaper "C" kites.

I drive an older Subaru hatchback and have never had or wanted an alarm system. Nothing worth stealing in my rig...until now.

How the heck do y'all that don't drive a Brink's truck keep your gear safe? Particularly those with hatchbacks that have lots of window Question

All I can think off is to cover my gear with an old blanket and never put cool kiteboarding stickers on my car.

Thanks in advance for your tips Very Happy

Last edited by hiker1 on Mon Jul 16, 07 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jul 16, 07 8:55 pm     Reply with quote

if you can't fix the lock on your trunk maybe get an old rocket box for your roof to lock your stuff in?

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostMon Jul 16, 07 9:07 pm     Reply with quote

eat some asparigus and pee on your kites

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostMon Jul 16, 07 9:17 pm    Go to the pound and get a pitbull german shepherd mix Reply with quote

Put him in your car with windows open and put a "beware of dog." poster in the rear window.
Very Happy

KidCorporate

Since 10 Jul 2007
563 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 16, 07 9:21 pm     Reply with quote

Welll, if your subie has a pull-out cargo cover, I would suggest using that. If not, get a ratty blanket and cover your gear with it, or you could go a more permanent route and tint your windows. It's really about just making some meth head think he could have better luck elsewhere.

But yeah, a large, overly aggressive dog might do the trick, just make sure he doesn't ruin your kites!

Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 17, 07 2:10 am     Reply with quote

I'd also consider getting fast food bags and wrappers, balling them up and tossing them haphazardly in on top of the blanket along with cd cases, clothes, magazines, newspapers and any other sort of junk that can easily be thrown on top. a blanket will cover up the lumps of gear, but i would want to give off the vibe that there is junk under the blanket rather than anything valuable.

i personlly don t do the junk food wrappers but i throw my clothes everywhere, there are plenty of magazines, cd cases, papers, towels and other debris to kind of camoflage stuff, in the cab of my pickup. i try to give it a lived in look, so that lumps underneath my towels will look more like balls of clothes as opposed to kites and boards.

Gorilla Pete

Since 20 Jun 2007
3 Posts
No Po
Kook

PostTue Jul 17, 07 6:50 am     Reply with quote

If you flop one of the back seats down there is usually (depending on the model) a metal loop you can run a cable or chain through. Lock that cable/chain to a locking box that is hard to get into without keys - even a big rubbermaid tub with a padlock. This, of course, makes it look like you have something of value so you should also do the "camoflage" techniques suggested above.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostTue Jul 17, 07 7:15 am     Reply with quote

If your kites are in the bags take them out when left in the car. Meth heads see a full backpack(kite) and steal it. I had my truck broke into at Mosier(I was out solo) the first thing I looked for was my new kite it was gone, then I see it laying in the back of my truck. The thief had pulled it out opened it and when he found it full of fabric left it. also make sure you don't have any valuables visible (wallet sunglasses ipod) some sort of lockbox helps with these. Lastly don't go out alone If yours is the only car in the parking lot and your kite is in the air the thief knows when you will be back(ok I ignore this one but I bought a lock box). I was most worried about my kite but loseing my wallet was way worse it took me a year to figgure out everything that was in their(going on vacation a year latter wear is my scuba card, drive to costco where did i put that card shit!!!)

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jul 17, 07 8:22 am     Reply with quote

Since you have a subaru, you should be safe since the only people that turn their heads to look at subaru's are lesbians....and they are not really a particularly theft inclined demographic.

If your still worried, you could, ummmm, not leave your gear in the car. Shocked

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 17, 07 12:44 pm     Reply with quote

take it with you. Cool
everywhere you go.
only way to ensure it stays with you.
its like with a bicycle: locks only deter the honest people.
the theives WILL figure out a way. . .
jimmi

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jul 17, 07 2:30 pm     Reply with quote

shastadogs2 wrote:
take it with you. Cool
everywhere you go.
only way to ensure it stays with you.
its like with a bicycle: locks only deter the honest people.
the theives WILL figure out a way. . .
jimmi

I sleep with my gear!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Jul 17, 07 3:31 pm     Reply with quote

Either Homeowners or Renters Insurance should cover your loss. Car insurance will not however.

I'd get a Thule or Yakima Spacecase.

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 17, 07 3:46 pm     Reply with quote

Sometimes they just steal the whole vehicle. My buddy had a $300 car stolen from a secure parking garage in Vancouver BC, it had about 3 grand worth of kiting gear in it. The car turned up 2 days later at the impound lot and some of the gear turned up a year later at an auction. Even if your car is a POS use a Club to make it harder to steal the car completely. Tinted windows are a good idea, plus they help the chance of your valve glue melting. If you don't have an alarm, get some alarm stickers for your windows. Kite company stickers are a bad idea. If you're the only one out at a spot it makes it pretty obvious when you're out on the water as to which car belongs to you.

I take my gear in a golf bag, when I go to work I bring it in with me. My co-workers all think I'm into golf. Plus having all your stuff in one bag makes it easy to grab in a hurry when the wind picks up.

Cheers,

Kitebot

SoOR

Since 10 Mar 2007
56 Posts
Ashland, OR

PostTue Jul 17, 07 3:55 pm     Reply with quote

or you could move to southern oregon where we only have 4kiters and no one knows what kiteboarding is when we go out so no one has any reason to steal any gear. guys here leave their keys in the ignition with window rolled down and gear in back

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Jul 17, 07 4:14 pm     Reply with quote

did someone kill off senor south peer solflyer , his posts are MIA.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostTue Jul 17, 07 4:42 pm     Reply with quote

Here ya go Hiker1

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/car/373064637.html

Plus helps keep some of the sand out of the car Very Happy

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jul 17, 07 5:31 pm    Re: Keeping my new kite from getting stolen --- any tips? Reply with quote

hiker1 wrote:
I drive an older Subaru hatchback and have never had or wanted an alarm system. Nothing worth stealing in my rig...until now.

All I can think off is to cover my gear with an old blanket and never put cool kiteboarding stickers on my car.

Hiding in plain sight beats the biggest & baddest lock/alarm every time.

I've had 7 years of good luck with a 91 legacy (420k miles) & old blanket.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: