Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Recommended Shoes for sharp objects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ivtechbrad

Since 08 Apr 2014
9 Posts
White Lake WI
Kook

PostFri Mar 01, 24 7:49 pm    Recommended Shoes for sharp objects Reply with quote

I just found an area that is perfect for kiteboarding but the lakebed is loaded with very sharp zebra mussels. Does anyone recommend a shoe that is comfortable to wear while kiteboarding but can hold up to sharp objects? Any help would be appreciated.

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
99 Posts
Lyle, WA

PostFri Mar 01, 24 8:34 pm     Reply with quote

I've been wearing these XtraTuf water shoes.

https://www.xtratuf.com/riptide/mens-riptide-water-shoe/XMR201.html

I've been using them for over two years and they are on their last legs. The elastic strap is about to break on both.

I wouldn't ever pay $95, but they are on sale for $30 right now.

I foil in them and don't mind losing the finesse in favor of foot protection.

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
99 Posts
Lyle, WA

PostFri Mar 01, 24 8:40 pm     Reply with quote

I also liked these from NRS:

https://www.nrs.com/nrs-mens-vibe-water-shoes/plma

But they don't make them anymore. Looks like kayak style water shoes are easily $100. I guess if they are comfortable and last, definitely worth it, especially if something goes wrong and you have to walk on tough terrain for a ways.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Mar 02, 24 10:29 am     Reply with quote

This is what I wear on rocky launches: https://www.amazon.com/Body-Glove-Barefoot-Cinch-Water/dp/B010E1F45A/ref=pd_lpo_sccl_1/142-7415881-2215524?th=1&psc=1

sflinux

Since 16 Jun 2012
2 Posts

PostSat Mar 02, 24 12:14 pm     Reply with quote

I like to wear above the ankle neoprene socks and street shoes. The socks make the shoes more comfortable for debris that can get insdie the shoe, minimizing blisters.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Mar 04, 24 3:23 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
This is what I wear on rocky launches: https://www.amazon.com/Body-Glove-Barefoot-Cinch-Water/dp/B010E1F45A/ref=pd_lpo_sccl_1/142-7415881-2215524?th=1&psc=1

I've used those body glove shoes in the past. They have a very solid protective base if that is what you are after. However, I found I didn't have the board feeling that I wanted so I switched to a thinner base shoe.

I use these NORTIV8 shoes now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274748117933

I get them in 1/2 size smaller than my normal shoe size.

Much thinner and softer base, you can feel your board better. In fact, I feel I have better control than barefoot due to the soft thin rubber base.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
537 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Mar 05, 24 1:09 pm     Reply with quote

seems like lots of really good options and knowledge here. Im not saying that surf booties are the answer, but still worth consideration. Youll have a lot of options and thicknesses, and I feel like i can feel my board well in surf booties.

With that said, i dont think ive ever walked across beds of those zebra clams. That looks sketchy. Hope the wind sitch at that spot is sick.

FWIW, XCEL are my fav booties and gloves. and though i love ONeal wetsuits, i think their boots and gloves are pretty JV

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Mar 08, 24 4:47 pm     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:

I've used those body glove shoes in the past. They have a very solid protective base if that is what you are after. However, I found I didn't have the board feeling that I wanted so I switched to a thinner base shoe.

Good point. The BodyGlove shoes have about the thinnest soles I can handle launching at Stevenson. Any thinner and I struggle to walk on the rocks. Then there's Jeff Logosz who lanches there barefoot--I think he's actually a robot! Very Happy

goiner

Since 26 Aug 2006
87 Posts

PostFri Apr 05, 24 6:50 pm    Astral brewer 2 Reply with quote

I have used this shoe for years. First with whitewater kayak.
They are too thick to feel board for surfboard but fine for foiling.
They used to be affordable but now pricey.

Good tread and longevity.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: