Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Anyone using a Apple iwatch for kiting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
fatstixs

Since 02 Aug 2007
55 Posts
The Gorge

PostWed Feb 28, 24 5:03 pm    Anyone using a Apple iwatch for kiting? Reply with quote

Anyone using a Apple iwatch for kiting?
If so, what are the pros and cons?
What is the best wrist band for high impact crashes! LOL
Does ikitesurf, Hoolan, Strava, Woo, GPS, and general communications all work fine?

Thx!

leithaus

Since 20 Aug 2020
19 Posts
PDX

PostThu Feb 29, 24 9:42 am     Reply with quote

I have the Apple Watch Ultra with the Ocean band and got it specifically for kiting and the Surfr App, which I like a lot. I had a Garmin Fenix 5 watch before. The Surfr App and Woo apps have just been released for Garmin watches, so there is that option now, which was unavailable for the past year or longer.

Just down kiting in Mexico and during a self rescue, lost the little metal buckle on the Ocean Band. I was probably a few wriggles away from losing my entire watch. I'm pretty happy with the Apple Watch overall, but for extreme water sports, someone needs to come up with a super rugged band that wont lose parts or come undone with some stress.

HH

Since 24 Jul 2014
39 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostThu Feb 29, 24 11:47 am     Reply with quote

I use an Apple Watch 8 with Waterspeed. I just use the included band and have never had an issue. But if it was a concern I would get the Solo Loop - no chance of that coming undone short of the band itself breaking.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Feb 29, 24 3:00 pm     Reply with quote

I used to use the 8, now I use the ultra. I bought an ocean band on amazon for 1/2 off and use two of the metal buckles (I poached the other from my sports band). I trimmed the ocean band shorter than stock so that I can use it as a daily, or over a 5mm suit.

grigorib

Since 19 Sep 2017
244 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Mar 04, 24 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

I’m using Apple Watch 3 with waterspeed. Works pretty well, just make sure you use a sports band, so it doesn’t open on you.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
537 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Mar 21, 24 9:51 am     Reply with quote

are you guys just using your apple watch to keep the phone functionality on your wrist? GPS tracking? Fitness tracking? Just curious what kinds of things/advantages you are getting from this

HH

Since 24 Jul 2014
39 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostThu Mar 21, 24 10:42 am     Reply with quote

Waterspeed shows your routes (from GPS info) and all the stats on your session: distance, time, avg speed, top speed, # of tacks, # of jibes. Plus you can enter your equipment so you can log what you used for each session and take notes. Useful for if you want to compare different equipment you have. Also nice to keep track of how many sessions you've had over the course of a season/year.
Last edited by HH on Sat Mar 23, 24 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1257 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostFri Mar 22, 24 8:37 pm     Reply with quote

OG wrote:
are you guys just using your apple watch to keep the phone functionality on your wrist? GPS tracking? Fitness tracking? Just curious what kinds of things/advantages you are getting from this

I heard tell of a kiter friend who had a mild heart attack kiting on the river when his watch alerted him to abnormal rhythms. I'm told he called his wife using the watch to come get him. I'd love this functionality (at my age, and having a-fib), but much prefer using my Garmin Fenix 7X Pro for my overall sports and health use cases.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Mar 23, 24 10:27 am     Reply with quote

I winter wing in cold weather, often alone. I bought the watch for that reason. But, it's mostly a toy, albeit a very fun toy. I have the Ultra because the battery life is much better--about 2.5x--than the 8 on down.

kuips

Since 19 Mar 2009
76 Posts
white salmon

PostTue Apr 23, 24 2:58 pm     Reply with quote

I upgraded watches and have a perfectly good Apple Watch 3 that I'd let go for $40. Works great, I recorded over 1000 NM on it last season. DM me if interested.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
463 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 23, 24 9:00 pm     Reply with quote

I’d love to have it. Pm sent.

Mark 503-267-89ten

Pm on this forum can take a very long time Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: