Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Colombia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
MattWave

Since 05 Mar 2018
16 Posts

PostSun Feb 04, 24 6:10 am    Colombia Reply with quote

Are there any offshore islands you can take a boat to be able to Kite?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Feb 05, 24 3:03 pm    Re: Colombia Reply with quote

MattWave wrote:
Are there any offshore islands you can take a boat to be able to Kite?

There used to be a sweet island east of Rooster and Dalton boat launch I heard stories of. I believe it has disappeared. That would be for east wind.

There are all types of islands close to the mouth of the Columbia that would have shallow waters south of Ilwaco/Bay. Want to hit that area with stronger N to NW winds. I suppose east and S to SW would work too.

Jones Beach area has Brown Island and Wallace Island east of it (downwind of best west to kite the area). But no real need as Jones beach has such a big and kite friendly launch.

I'm sure that are many islands east of HR that I'm not mentioning that one could potentially launch from.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-35414.html&highlight=

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostMon Feb 05, 24 3:38 pm     Reply with quote

I think he may of meant Colombia, the country. Not Columbia the river.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Feb 05, 24 5:35 pm    Re: Colombia Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:

There used to be a sweet island east of Rooster and Dalton boat launch I heard stories of. I believe it has disappeared. That would be for east wind.

Skamania Island. Damn that was a great launch. The west end had a huge waist deep sand spit that made it great for beginners. It actually worked well on Westerlies too, if you wanted 13 - 15 mph wind. It went from a pretty big island to gone in just a couple of years. I'm pretty sure Barnes was the first to circumnavigate it back when it was big. That was a pretty cool deal at the time on a twintip. I'm pretty sure there's a pic on here I took of Gman and Barnes launching with Multnomah Falls in the background. Too bad it's gone, it would have made a really fun foil launch on westies.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Feb 05, 24 5:41 pm     Reply with quote

Scriffler wrote:
I think he may of meant Colombia, the country. Not Columbia the river.

You are correct, sir. I need to get some glasses. Cool

jwnd

Since 22 Oct 2014
16 Posts
Bellingham

PostSat Feb 10, 24 3:12 pm    Colombia Reply with quote

San Andres is your best bet if you want a Colombian island for kiting. Providencia is nearby but more known for scuba diving. I've kited Lago Calima near Cali & Cartagena (La Boquilla) both were consistent, plus a tour of sites along north coast to Venezuela border. Some great sites but none were islands. Wind pretty consistent during N America winter, not sure about rest of the year. Venezuela has Los Roques near Isla Margarita which look phenomenal, but you were asking about Colombia.

Finishing up a flying trip now in Cauca Valley - great thermal flying. Safe Travels.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: