Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Using a surfboard with a Kite!! Please Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostMon Jul 16, 07 12:25 pm    Using a surfboard with a Kite!! Please Help Reply with quote

I'm thinking about getting a regular surfboard and kiting, but I don't know what the general rule is for kite size etc..

Say it's a 19mph day at Clatsop Spit.. I have a low volumn 6 foot thruster.

What size kite would be the best?

I weight 220lbs..

Thanks Very Happy

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Jul 16, 07 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

Riding a kite one size smaller than normal would probably be a good starting point. This is assuming that you normally ride a twin tip and like to be pretty powered up on it. Of course the way the wind's blowing the past week you'd need a 20m kite just to get off the beach.

Kyle

Since 28 Jun 2007
54 Posts
Squamish, Canada

PostMon Jul 16, 07 12:38 pm     Reply with quote

Too bad you missed the Surfboard Riding Clinic this weekend, as part of the SKC....

but, remember you aren't going to be jumping huge, so all you need is enough kite to get going upwind. Typically this is also a bit less than on a TT.
I generally try to ride the smallest kite that I can get away with on my surfboards. It's more fun that way because you've got a fast kite that responds and reacts better to your bar input and board movement.

...although 80% of the time for most ranges of wind and waves, I've been choosing an SLE 9m (Shockwave in my case).

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Jul 16, 07 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

I bounce between my 9m boxer and 7.5 boxer for really windy big swell days.

www.naishkites.com

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon Jul 16, 07 1:50 pm     Reply with quote

You can use a regular surfboard for sure. Just don't freak out when the surface starts looking more like the moon from all the heel dents.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostMon Jul 16, 07 6:52 pm    My first day on a directional with two straps!! Reply with quote

Went out today on my 11 meter TD II and an RRD 5-8" twinster board. Almost went on my 9 meter, but I wanted to be powered up and it was blowing 16 mph average at the time.

Had to avoid some kookster doing water start practice and hot launching right off the yellow marker..Scary Shit!! The guy was oblivious to the danger he posed... I yelled at him and pointed to the north side of the beach. EESSHHH

Went straight upwind on the twinster.. I think it's about 5'-8" or so. I was surprized by how nice I went upwind. Very fast and smooth cruising for certain. I'm going to put some nice cushy pads and new straps.. Any suggestions?

Twas able to go toeside on my right side and then just turn and go heelside on my port. My right calf was really tired after about an hour and a half so I came back in and switched to my tt.

The fins are 6 inches long and really dig into the water. It twas remiscent of surfing in Hawaii.. oh sweet loverly flashbacks to Paia', Kuau, and HOOkipa... I'm really looking foreward to getting on some real wave faces as soon as possible. I'm wondering what the hell I'll be doing with the kite?? I guess I'll just have to figure that out when the time comes.

I took my feet out of the straps for a bit to see what it was like. Not that hard to keep the board right under my feet. It felt a little sketchy but with some time I think I will go out without straps for sure.

I must say that the feeling of having a board with nice round rails is great!!!

Does anybody actually read all of this shit,

later Very Happy

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 16, 07 7:02 pm     Reply with quote

i read it! Sounds like you had a killer time! I'm the guy switching between boots and a green skimboard with grip tape... Come say hi next time.

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostMon Jul 16, 07 7:33 pm     Reply with quote

if it is a regular polyester board, it will buckle. One of mine did after only a few sessions on it.

If it a surftech / epoxy it will old better. It does depend on how you want you board to look (like bam said).

It's a lot of fun though, but kiting a surfboard put WAY more strain on it than it was built for..that said, it is sooo much fun though.

a.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostMon Jul 16, 07 9:14 pm    You bet Forrest)) Reply with quote

I did have a great time. I'm going to give the skim board a shot too. It's amazing the range of different shit you can ride!

Love it Man(((

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: