Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

SS Guardian vs Sentry, kitefoiling bar, seeking input

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
165 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostFri Feb 02, 24 9:27 am    SS Guardian vs Sentry, kitefoiling bar, seeking input Reply with quote

Looks like all SS bars for sale have the de power above the bar instead of below the bar (like the Comstick Guardian that I use). Why the move towards above the bar de power?

Also, I am interested in whether folks prefer a 17” or 20” bar with their UFO kites (5m or 7m) for kitefoiling. Does the joystick make a big enough difference for kitefoiling to justify the purchase?

I am thinking about upgrading my bar/lines for next season.

TIA

-Mark

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 02, 24 2:20 pm     Reply with quote

I have UFOs from 3m to 11m. A 20" bar works well with all sizes. (I've not tried any of the V1s with a 17" bar, just the V2s...) A 17" bar works well with the 3 and the 4, but I prefer the 20" bar for 5M and above. Also, for me, the 17" bar and the 20" bar are a toss up with the 3m and the 4m; both work fine.

The Joystick is absolutely worth it for foiling with UFOs. The combination of the thinner, less stretchy, lines and eliminating all of the weight from the depower system makes a tremendous difference with the UFO. I've flown my UFOs back to back with a compstick and a Joystick, and the difference is significant enough that I would be pretty disappointed If I had to use a standard bar. The UFO with a Joystick handles gusts better, flies in light wind better, goes upwind better (due to the kite flying further forward in the window), flies one handed significantly better, turns faster, and just in general feels more connected to the rider. I don't miss the depower at all with my UFOs, they just don't need a trim system. Since the lines have so much less drag and stretch, less of your input goes to overcoming line drag and stretch. Especially in the smaller sizes, the direct feel and responsiveness is just a joy. Seriously.

All of that said, for my three strut kites (for twin tipping) I much prefer a standard bar with depower trim. Although, I'm tempted to make up a set of SK99 lines for my compstick as well. I doubt the difference would be as marked as it is with a UFO, but I have zero doubt that it would be an improvement.

HH

Since 24 Jul 2014
39 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostMon Feb 05, 24 11:08 am     Reply with quote

I think the below bar de-power was phased out because you don't have as much leverage so it may be tougher to de-power when you actually need it in overpowered conditions. So I think the market preferred above the bar despite causing a little more clutter.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Feb 05, 24 11:58 am     Reply with quote

Probably had something to do with the swivel as well?

grigorib

Since 19 Sep 2017
244 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Feb 17, 24 7:18 pm     Reply with quote

I don’t like having any swivels since I comfortably loop the kites any direction and some older swivels tend to jam overtime and are heavier than fixed hardware.

Below the bar depower is pretty outdated, yet I admire design/simplicity of the Guardian chickenloop assembly.

I still need a trim to comfortably adjust bar/arms position in changing conditions and you know - getting from sandbar to green buoy to hatchery is like riding on different days/spots compressed into 15 minutes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: