Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Water Temps currently around Rooster Rock/Stevie?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Nov 23, 23 10:02 am    Water Temps currently around Rooster Rock/Stevie? Reply with quote

First of all, HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all!

So, the forecasted winds the next 5 days is looking windy.

Cold hands are my downfall, even with gloves. I have a new 5/4 hooded, and Patagucci 7m booties, and 2 mil gloves.

So, I'm considering going out.

Remember the 100 degree rule?

Combined Air temp and water temp? If above 100 go, if below 100 don't go.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
463 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu Nov 23, 23 2:25 pm     Reply with quote

I’m good in a new 5/4 with gloves and booties and a hat. For about an hour of cruising around on my foil. Once I fall in a few times and get wet, the shine comes off pretty quick. An hour to hour and a half and I’m done.

Plus I’m keeping an eye on the parking lot at Stevenson so I don’t have to self land.
The crowds are getting very thin. The water is getting cold. 11-2pm seems like the best bet for company. I check the camera to see if I’ll have anybody to launch me.

I think any sessions next week and on into spring will be drysuit. Run the numbers through a wind chill calculator, and check the La Ventana web cam…..Baja is calling.
It’s going to be chilly next week.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostThu Nov 23, 23 11:40 pm    Rooster Reply with quote

Hey Sasquatch!

It's been a good fall - got out last week Thu 16th which was one of those gusting to 40 but still 50+ degree days with sun and water about 52 so just over the 100 mark.

Since then the winds been NUKING like gusts over 60 and cold so been waiting for a better window. That said, I did just switch to DRYSUIT MODE since I don't love the cold and I have the winter gear.

Good winds / temp / sun today 11/25 - Just me and DUC +1 winger

My motto is always: November is for KITING
Thumb's Up

Cheers!

MC

2023-11-25_22-59-52.png 

geo2

Since 08 May 2011
82 Posts
St. Paul, MN

PostSat Jan 13, 24 4:49 pm     Reply with quote

LOL. Bigfoot : How do you get 2000+ posts and think that going out with 2 mil gloves is gonna work in cold weather?!

Our magic number in Minnesota (or mine anyway since I seem to the only one out) is about 50. Below 32 degrees and, you know, your session tends to be a little slippery.

For cold hands, THE solution is Hyperflex 7mm oven mitts. (Apologies to other brands who might make ones just as good). They are easy to get on and off, but they keep you warm if not hot. The neoprene is grippy rubber, so you don’t get size 12 forearms bulging out of your wetsuit after 10 minutes, either. I do find there is a big difference between 7mm and 5mm booties, too, and the thing that gets cold first is usually the feet.

We don’t get 60mph winds when it is that cold, so your mileage may vary:). But we’ve had sessions up on Superior with steady mid-40s in blizzards (at about 35 degrees) and keep warm in good 5/4 hooded suits).

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Jan 17, 24 10:13 am     Reply with quote

@geo2,

Just so you know, Sasquatch was kiting back when the sport was truly dangerous, before you even knew what kiteboarding was. If you ever approach his skill level and experience, then you might be OK to "LOL" at him. Until then it just emphasizes that you didn't understand his post, or what the "100 degree rule" is. Utilizing the 100 degree rule, a good set of 2 mm gloves is often sufficient, hence his question about local conditions here In the Gorge.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jan 17, 24 11:29 am    THANKS NAK for the clarification on the 100 * rule Reply with quote

geo2 wrote:
LOL. Bigfoot : How do you get 2000+ posts and think that going out with 2 mil gloves is gonna work in cold weather?!

Our magic number in Minnesota (or mine anyway since I seem to the only one out) is about 50. Below 32 degrees and, you know, your session tends to be a little slippery.

For cold hands, THE solution is Hyperflex 7mm oven mitts. (Apologies to other brands who might make ones just as good). They are easy to get on and off, but they keep you warm if not hot. The neoprene is grippy rubber, so you don’t get size 12 forearms bulging out of your wetsuit after 10 minutes, either. I do find there is a big difference between 7mm and 5mm booties, too, and the thing that gets cold first is usually the feet.

We don’t get 60mph winds when it is that cold, so your mileage may vary:). But we’ve had sessions up on Superior with steady mid-40s in blizzards (at about 35 degrees) and keep warm in good 5/4 hooded suits).

Yo Yo Geo2:

Been kiting since 2003. In those early years I'd go as much as I could. One thing I've learned is that my hands don't like the cold. Once they get cold and wet I'm f*cked. Gloves also restrict circulation too which f*cks me as well. Yes, I know there are thicker gloves and mitts, but I basically don't want to kite in air temps colder than *45 or lower, so I don't buy thicker gloves as I don't need them.

Also, when it is winter I'm on the ski slopes as this is year 24 in a row with a Season pass.

I've done very little snowkiting, but I also have found rigging and having to take off my gloves to rig the lines f*cks my hands too.

With skiing, I just don't expose my hands to cold and if they get cold, then it's time to go in the car or lodge to warm them up.

That is just who I am and have to accept that my body (hands) doesn't do well when exposed to cold/wet conditions.

Glad you've getting out there and charging it. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area to get as much kiting in as I want and need. I'm an omnivore when it comes to sports and activities and so I need more than just kiting during the spring, summer, and fall. And my kiting is usually done out in the ocean where the air temps and water temps have less variances. It is cold, but not usually numbing cold, hence the 100 * rule.

Good winds to ya.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Jan 18, 24 5:52 am     Reply with quote

geo2 wrote:

For cold hands, THE solution is Hyperflex 7mm oven mitts. (Apologies to other brands who might make ones just as good). They are easy to get on and off, but they keep you warm if not hot. The neoprene is grippy rubber, so you don’t get size 12 forearms bulging out of your wetsuit after 10 minutes, either.

Geo, so are they thin on the inside palms? How is it they don't cause forearm fatigue?

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jan 30, 24 7:03 am     Reply with quote

[quote="Wind Slither"]
geo2 wrote:

Geo, so are they thin on the inside palms? How is it they don't cause forearm fatigue?

slither, I picked up a pair of these hyperflex mittens after Geo mentioned them. they are pretty impressive at keeping your fingers warm. previously I used the pata lobster mitts but my index finger would eventually get cold. with all of your fingers together they always stay warm. I've tried them now for kiting and winging. they work better for winging and I don't experience fatigue. this is probably more to do with riding with a harness line and taking pressure off my arms when riding upwind. I will say I prefer a split finger for kiting so you can straddle the depower rope in between your index and middle finger.
since using them, I have yet to have cold fingers, rather they are steaming in warmth when I get back to the launch. current river temps are below 40 degrees!
good find Geo, thanks for the recommendation-stringy

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Jan 30, 24 9:16 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Stringy!

They sound like the ticket for these chilly east winders!

Thumb's Up

geo2

Since 08 May 2011
82 Posts
St. Paul, MN

PostThu Feb 08, 24 8:32 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry if I came across as being negative about what temps people go out in (or don’t).

I’m commenting here only because it’s be been surprised how comfortable you can be in really pretty cold conditions, and just wanted to offer “hope” for anyone who wants to try (when skiing isn’t happening or whatever.)

Those 7mm cryo mitts Really Work for holding onto a kite bar.
I didn’t have them windsurfing (20 years ago sailing in Superior you get to know what arm burn feels like), and I don’t wing. I assume they would be a little less awesome (arm fatigue) for that, but probably good for a short to medium session.

The other thing is how you do get used to wearing heavier booties, too. Although when you switch from bare feet it is like wearing 3 condoms (I imagine), I don’t even think about it.

Am I impressed by you guys who can go out in 45 - 50 degree water with little or nothing on your hands and feet? You bet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: