Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

PSA for Windsurfers - Safety Violations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 13, 23 12:33 am    PSA for Windsurfers - Safety Violations Reply with quote

Dearest Windsurfers,

It's really great to see so many of you out on the river. It brings me back to the 20+ years of my own experience hangin' from the booms...

There really is nothing better than getting up on a plane, setting that fin / foil and then closing the GAP and really rocketing along with the slap of the chop or hum of the foil in a straight line, channelling your inner Bjorn Dunkerbeck.

That said, PLEASE take a page from your fellow wingers, kiters and prone paddlers and consider TURNING if you are on a direct collision course with a fellow water sports enthusiast.

I KNOW you finally got everything locked in and you really don't want to = but IT's THE RIGHT THING TO DO...

Understanding not everyone knows the rights of way rules or even has the ability to abide by them - can we just avoid the direct attacks?

Here's 2 quick examples from today at the HATCH:

Kiter A is riding starboard (right) toe side on a swell following the wave downwind at a high rate of speed

W/S B is pinching upwind on a PORT (left) tack on a direct diagonal collision course and does NOT adjust his course at any point up until the near miss

and another:

Kiter B is riding starboard (right) toe side on swell same as above

Wind Foiler C is over taking Kiter B from a steep angle approaching from the left rear blind spot and never varies her course passing dangerously close to 4 loaded kite lines.

If you KNOW the rights of way rules please follow them. If you don't PLEASE consider turning. I know it's less fun but in my 20+ years windsurfing I did it a few times and it's OK. You will get back on that plane and you might just avoid a nasty or fatal injury for yourself or your fellow river users.

It's a BIG RIVER people - let's take a page from all the wingers and have some FUN making those TURNS...

PSA over.

Mc

Last edited by McLovin on Thu Sep 21, 23 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Aug 13, 23 7:14 am     Reply with quote

Amen Brother!

gybetalkin

Since 01 Nov 2010
50 Posts

PostSun Aug 13, 23 7:16 am    And…. Reply with quote

And I’ll add (most likely in vain)

While the human voice doesn’t officially count as a sound making device that vessels are required to carry, we all have a voice, and a simple ‘whoot whoot’ or ‘hiya” works well and is helpful as a signal TO any of those vessels who are restricted in their ability to maneuver and are being closed in on at a higher rate of speed. See and be seen.

We can all get along out there and it’s really great when we do!

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
537 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 15, 23 11:39 am     Reply with quote

GREAT POST dude. looking before you turn, giving right of way are things we need to talk about and remind. New wind riders every year. Especially with winging becoming so prevalent. and people on foils just move in different ways that we've been used to with just kiters and windsurfers the last 20+ years.

Again, nice post. hope everyone reads it and thinks about it

HH

Since 24 Jul 2014
39 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostFri Aug 18, 23 12:00 pm    Re: PSA for Windsurfers - Safety Violations Reply with quote

McLovin wrote:
Dearest Windsurfers,

It's really great to see so many of you out on the river. It brings me back to the 20+ years of my own experience hangin' from the booms...

There really is nothing better than getting up on a plane, setting that fin / foil and then closing the GAP and really rocketing along with the slap of the chop or hum of the foil in a straight line, channelling your inner Bjorn Dunkerbeck.

That said, PLEASE take a page from your fellow wingers, kiters and prone paddlers and consider TURNING if you are on a direct collision course with a fellow water sports enthusiast.

I KNOW you finally got everything locked in and you really don't want to = but IT's THE RIGHT THING TO DO...

Understanding not everyone knows the rights of way rules or even has the ability to abide by them - can we just avoid the direct attacks?

Here's 2 quick examples from today at the HATCH:

Kiter A is riding starboard (right) toe side on a swell following the wave downwind at a high rate of speed

W/S B is pinching upwind on a PORT (left) tack on a direct diagonal collision course and does NOT adjust his course at any point up until the near miss

and another:

Kiter B is riding starboard (right) toe side on swell same as above

Wind Foiler C is over taking Kiter B from a steep angle approaching from the left rear blind spot and never varies her course passing dangerously close to 4 loaded kite lines.

If you KNOW the rights of way rules please follow them. If you don't PLEASE consider turning. I know it's less fun but in my 20+ years windsurfing I did it a few times and it's OK. You will get back on that plane and you might just avoid a nasty or fatal injury for yourself or your fellow river users.

It's a BIG RIVER people - let's take a page from all the wingers and have some FUN making those TURNS...

PSA over.

Mc

I wonder if I was the kite (foiler) you saw. Was riding toeside towards Oregon (starboard) and a windsurfer was coming straight at me at high speed. I could tell he had no intention of turning, so I had to turn downwind. Unfortunately, at the same time a winger was behind me in my blind spot going at a super sharp angle downwind. By the time I was turned enough to see him over my shoulder, he had nearly collided with me. It was SUPER close. Thinking it over I'm not sure what else I could've done in that situation. I've decided to just stay closer to the Oregon side in that area when it's that crowded. The swell may not be quite as good, but the risk of collision just isn't worth it. I suppose that'll make some people there happy. Rolling Eyes

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 18, 23 9:45 pm     Reply with quote

Wait a second! Are you saying that windsurfers CAN TURN their Vessel???? Are you certain about this? Or is this like another bigfoot sighting... Laughing Laughing Laughing

danf

Since 12 Jun 2009
106 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 24, 23 1:27 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, it can certainly be annoying to alter your swell ride to go around them but a couple of points:
A. Windsurfers probably don't read this forum since it has "Kite" in the title so you're preaching to the choir
B. They have been straight lining without attempting a turn until the water gets less than 5 feet deep for 40 years. They are probably not going to change the way they ride now because of your post.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Aug 26, 23 9:07 am     Reply with quote

hmmm

Making a bored post since I can't ride my board.

I usually chuckle when a windsurfer doesn't give way cause I know that he/she is not getting the swell rides I am. I simply give way and catch the same wave below them for a nice long run.

It's the few windsurfers that actually do catch my wave and ride it down that surprise me... Now those guys/gals really piss me off. I'm like what the heck, You're a windsurfer... You can't ride that down. You're stealing my ride!!!

And the wingadingers... Don't get me going on them... They're stealing everything out there these days. There should be laws on the river limiting their rides on waves Razz

dhhr

Since 09 Jul 2015
28 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Aug 31, 23 10:16 am     Reply with quote

there were a few windsurfers at Rufus yesterday slashing up the gigantic rolling and occasionally breaking waves - was impressive to watch

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Aug 31, 23 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

dhhr wrote:
there were a few windsurfers at Rufus yesterday slashing up the gigantic rolling and occasionally breaking waves - was impressive to watch

Let me guess, down almost to the Grain Silos. A gal in teal and an old guy with a camera.

I wasn't out, but those two have stolen hundreds of my waves over the years Very Happy . I've never met them in person, but they seem nice and are willing to share waves. If you wave at the old guy he'll even follow you around and take video.

Edit 9/3/23
I met the "old guy" today. Turns out he aint so old, and a heck of a nice guy.
End Edit

Last edited by bigjohn on Sun Sep 03, 23 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Aug 31, 23 12:44 pm     Reply with quote

dhhr wrote:

What sized kite were you on? 6m?

dhhr

Since 09 Jul 2015
28 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Sep 06, 23 7:01 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
What sized kite were you on? 6m?

I was on my new 4m kite that my good friend sold to me after she converted to winging! I've used that 4m quite a bit in the last few weeks at Rufus Very Happy

biffmalibu

Since 30 Jun 2011
38 Posts
Mosier, Oregon

PostThu Sep 21, 23 8:50 am    The 10 unwritten rules of the Gorge, prioritized Reply with quote

1) Don't hate. This is supposed to be FUN. Use your mental health insurance, if necessary and you have it. The hate is real.
2) Dead in the water has right of way always. Cruise by to see if they need help!
3) Avoid all collisions. It doesn't matter who has right of way. If you have right of way and create a close-call OR an actual collision, you are an ASS. And you are legally liable for what you caused.
4) Give space. Some (port!) riders are overpowered or out of control for some reason. Including novices. The river is large.
5) Look into your blind spot often, but especially before jibing. Applies to all riders and craft. Wingers, windsurfers, kiters, foilers, etc.
6) Communicate, especially when in or approaching somebody's blind spot. A whistle or yelp is all that is required. Don't be shy; there's a lot of white noise out there.
7) Swell riders have right of way (this is the point of being on the river, to surf swell!). Also, they are often underpowered or have no power at all. So they are much less maneuverable than the powered. Which makes them ALMOST dead in the water. Geez, just let an old guy/gal continue his swell ride. OK?!
Cool Starboard has right of way over port.
9) Rider downwind has right of way over upwind rider (in other words, upwind rider must avoid the pinching rider when pressed). But be courteous, downwind riders. Don't pinch just to be an ASS. The river is large. See rule #4.
10) Always have a great session and smile when you're done. If you're not having a good time, just leave and do something else satisfying. Or just don't go. Attitude is contagious. If you're alive and healthy and at least learned something, you win. Because you can try again another day.

*Notice where the starboard rule is on the list?

#10 could arguably be #1. I probably missed a few rules. But not many. It's always 10 rules, right?
Laughing

thumbnail_English-and-German-sailors-fight-Milwall-1892.jpg 

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Sep 21, 23 9:37 am     Reply with quote

So,
Be kind
Spread joy
Avoid confrontation
(If absolutely necessary try talking then just kill them)

Kind of like the rest of life?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Sep 21, 23 4:06 pm    Re: The 10 unwritten rules of the Gorge, prioritized Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
1) Don't hate. This is supposed to be FUN. Use your mental health insurance, if necessary and you have it. The hate is real.
2) Dead in the water has right of way always. Cruise by to see if they need help!
3) Avoid all collisions. It doesn't matter who has right of way. If you have right of way and create a close-call OR an actual collision, you are an ASS. And you are legally liable for what you caused.
4) Give space. Some (port!) riders are overpowered or out of control for some reason. Including novices. The river is large.
5) Look into your blind spot often, but especially before jibing. Applies to all riders and craft. Wingers, windsurfers, kiters, foilers, etc.
6) Communicate, especially when in or approaching somebody's blind spot. A whistle or yelp is all that is required. Don't be shy; there's a lot of white noise out there.
7) Swell riders have right of way (this is the point of being on the river, to surf swell!). Also, they are often underpowered or have no power at all. So they are much less maneuverable than the powered. Which makes them ALMOST dead in the water. Geez, just let an old guy/gal continue his swell ride. OK?!
Cool Starboard has right of way over port.
9) Rider downwind has right of way over upwind rider (in other words, upwind rider must avoid the pinching rider when pressed). But be courteous, downwind riders. Don't pinch just to be an ASS. The river is large. See rule #4.
10) Always have a great session and smile when you're done. If you're not having a good time, just leave and do something else satisfying. Or just don't go. Attitude is contagious. If you're alive and healthy and at least learned something, you win. Because you can try again another day.

*Notice where the starboard rule is on the list?

#10 could arguably be #1. I probably missed a few rules. But not many. It's always 10 rules, right?
Laughing

+1 Thumb's Up

I add this one: Since I can go up and down wind with ease as a kite foiler, I don't push right of way at all. I always give way down wind to twin tippers, windsurfers and beginner wing foilers. I can make up the upwind distance in a few seconds. Those folks expend a lot of time and effort to make up having to slide down wind...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: