Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Tips for a new winger?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Macboy

Since 28 May 2011
32 Posts
Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostWed Jul 19, 23 9:29 pm    Tips for a new winger? Reply with quote

So, thanks to the NW Kite community I found myself on an iSUP (with ‘centreboard’ installed - just a 10” fin) flying a 4m Wasp (thank you NW Kiter!) and had the best day on the water I’ve ever had! Winds were about 10-13 knots - not 100% sure. I’ve tried kitesurfing many times, to the tune of three lesson based attempts and never got self sufficient enough to feel safe solo. I was about to sign up for a fourth lesson session and then fell down the wing rabbit hole. So glad I did!

I started on the shore, getting a feel for the wing. Then in the water on the iSUP, on my knees for a few reaches, then “standing” on my knees and then took the plunge and got up on the shakiest sewing machine legs you’ve ever seen. But I did it! And didn’t lose much ground to top it off! The shaky legs even disappeared and I rode until the wind started to drop and my energy was plummeting.

Amazing. So glad I gave this a go. I’m hooked hooked hooked. Not sure I’ll sell off the LEIs just yet but feel like that may be inevitable.

But of course I could use some guidance. A couple questions if I might?

I found myself using the front handle - the one parallel to the leading edge (not the neutral handle) and the third or second handle from the end. Not sure if that was right for the front hand? There was NO PRESSURE on the front handle at all. If I tried the y-handle or the first strut handle there was effort required otherwise, all the effort was on my back hand. Which handle “should” I be using up front?

I primarily used a SUP stance (feet side by side) but did manage a bit of time with more of a surf stance. Going forward, with progression to foil being the goal, should I be more focused on getting comfortable in a surf stance? And if so, what should that stance be? Front foot on the board centreline, rear off towards the windward back corner?

Looking forward to this progression - feels so much safer (to me) than kiteboarding. Perhaps I’ll come back to the kites once I have the foil down. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Jul 20, 23 6:26 am     Reply with quote

Hey MacBoy,

So the LE handles are useful for your front hand for getting pointed or if the the wind drops and your pumping/fanning. But if you have good wind your front hand is on the first handle on the center strut and your back is on the second to last handle (I think) or whatever feels comfortable.

For your stance, it's an open "windsurf" type stance with your front foot slightly on the windward side and your back can be slightly to leeward. This lets you twist your body and push with your back foot against the pull of the wing to pinch upwind.

There's endless YouTubes...start with this Wing Foil College:

Link

Macboy

Since 28 May 2011
32 Posts
Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostThu Jul 20, 23 10:32 pm     Reply with quote

That series is amazing. I’m sure a heap of my “success” was thanks to those videos and others I’ve absorbed. Amazing the sharing that happens online.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: