Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Not Good News For The Coast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Jul 15, 23 1:41 pm    Not Good News For The Coast Reply with quote

😯😯😯😪😪😪

https://www.koin.com/local/oregon-coast/report-potentially-unsafe-levels-of-fecal-bacteria-found-at-most-oregon-beaches/

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 16, 23 10:12 pm     Reply with quote

I don’t buy it. The Manzanita area has a sewer treatment system while much of the coast including Gearhart is septic. Possibly they are testing a few times a year on days when the Nehalem is flooding and extrapolating

Arb2me

Since 14 May 2019
28 Posts

PostMon Jul 17, 23 6:25 am     Reply with quote

This isn’t exactly surprising. Have you seen how many cows are within spitting distance of the coast? The Nehalem is nothing but dairy farms past the park. Don’t like it? Just don’t swallow the water and quit buying dairy.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 18, 23 7:42 am     Reply with quote

doesn't shock me considering portland lets their sewer overflow right into the river during rainy times.

Swim in the willamette (wilsonville area) and you'll have a summer long sinus infection from all the fertilizer and cow poo flowing in off the farms.

oregon has a way to go to be a "green" state.

BlowOut

Since 22 Jul 2005
17 Posts

PostTue Jul 18, 23 8:04 am    Re: Not Good News For The Coast Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
😯😯😯😪😪😪

https://www.koin.com/local/oregon-coast/report-potentially-unsafe-levels-of-fecal-bacteria-found-at-most-oregon-beaches/

Likely, it was because of me. My parents took me on the approximate 300 mile Oregon coastal trip, where I stopped at every windy spot while my parents were kiting and winging it up.

Sorry all.

CoastwasmeswimmingontheOregonCoast.jpg 

whiskeybarrels

Since 30 Apr 2020
2 Posts
PDX

PostWed Jul 19, 23 9:28 am     Reply with quote

tinyE wrote:
doesn't shock me considering portland lets their sewer overflow right into the river during rainy times.

Swim in the willamette (wilsonville area) and you'll have a summer long sinus infection from all the fertilizer and cow poo flowing in off the farms.

Are you unaware of the effort to eliminate CSO's or just not settling for anything less than 100%?

https://www.portland.gov/bes/about-big-pipe#:~:text=Before%20Big%20Pipes%2C%20an%20average,and%20one%20every%20third%20summer.

As for cow poo, stop eating meat.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1257 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 19, 23 1:54 pm     Reply with quote

So the root cause of water pollution is cows... not people?

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
882 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostWed Jul 19, 23 8:39 pm     Reply with quote

Oregon Health Authority and the OBMP do regular water quality testing along the beaches in Oregon. Here is the most current status for July testing:

https://www.oregon.gov/oha/ph/healthyenvironments/recreation/beachwaterquality/pages/status.aspx

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 20, 23 8:46 am     Reply with quote

whiskeybarrels wrote:
tinyE wrote:

Are you unaware of the effort to eliminate CSO's or just not settling for anything less than 100%?

https://www.portland.gov/bes/about-big-pipe#:~:text=Before%20Big%20Pipes%2C%20an%20average,and%20one%20every%20third%20summer.

As for cow poo, stop eating meat.

the fact that we are flowing raw sewage into our river right downtown in 2023 seems a bit caveman-ish to me. Doesn't have to be 100%, but seems like an easy fix would be an overflow for treatment after the fact kind of thing. I'm no sewage expert, I just think dumping raw sewage in 2023 is taking the easy way out. Even with the fix, it's still ~300 Million gallons of sewage into the river that splits downtown Portland.

it's not just cow poo. fertilizers from the fields are what contribute more polution (IMO). So you'd have to pretty much stop eating.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: