Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Looking at getting into wing foiling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Macboy

Since 28 May 2011
32 Posts
Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostTue Jun 13, 23 5:02 pm    Looking at getting into wing foiling Reply with quote

Hey all, long time lurker, past poster in my kiteboarding days. I’ve bought a bit of gear through NWKite and it’s looking like I’ll be hoping to do the same as I gather a wingfoil setup. It’s just not that common up here at all so the selection on the used market is nothing like here on NWKite. I’m in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

I’m finding myself confused about all the different foil setups. Can someone share some quick tips with me about what to look for? Sizes in particular for a newb. I plan to get a wing or two and a SUP either inflated or not, equipped with a SUPwinder so I can learn the wing. Once I’m ready for the foil I’ve determined I need a 120L board but that may change as I progress with the wing on the SUP? Or am I always going to want to start on a big volume board no matter what? I actually have a couple kitesurf boards and a windsurf board (no-daggerboard type). Could I wing with those?

For purchasing, if I can’t find used I see I can get a Slingshot Skywalker for a really good price brand new. But the volume is nowhere near “beginner” volume.

For foils, are they all universal or can an Armstrong foil ONLY connect to an Armstrong fuse which can ONLY connect to an Armstrong mast? Are all the mounts (board mounts) the same or do I need the right board with the right mast?

Anything else I need to know before I go buy stuff, get it, can’t make it fly but only because the configuration would never fly cuz I bought the wrong stuff?

Locally I can find all sorts of wake foil gear. But I can’t wing with that can I? Or are the foils the same, just need a different board?

Thanks in advance for demystifying things for me!

jblum

Since 13 Jul 2008
305 Posts
The Gorge
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 13, 23 8:51 pm    A few hints, and questions Reply with quote

That's cool you're interested in learning to Wing! Here are a few answers and some questions:

1) You can "wing" (meaning use the wing in the wind to move around on water) on basically any board that will float you on water that you can balance on and float above the water. An old windsurfer, a SUP, or even a larger surfboard (like a longboard) can be used to wing, but it is very difficult to stay upwind without a really aggressive fin (like on a dagger board). Many people start by buying a wing and practicing on a larger floating craft like a SUP. It saves you buying ALL the gear up front until you learn how to use the wing in the wind, and decide if its something you really want to drop another $2-3k into to learn.

2). If you want to wing foil (use the wing on a board with a foil), it is recommended that you start with a larger board because of its buoyancy and stability. Depending on your weight, fitness, and natural ability at board sports on water, you might need anything from 100-150L. It will be easier to stand and get up without falling over on a larger board, but the board size will limit you once you learn how to cruise around and want to do more than cruise back and forth. Most folks start around 120L, but smaller or larger people will use smaller or larger boards.

3). The mast mounts on most boards are a standard track system, and most foil setups (mast, fuselage, front and rear wings) will fit on any modern board.

4). There are MANY MANY MANY options for foil setups and some are cross compatible and some are not. For a beginner, it would be smart to buy a "complete" setup that includes all components (mast, fuselage, front wing and rear wing) instead of trying to piecemiel to save a few bucks. It's not worth it and you'll inevitably spend more trying to save money than if you just fork over for a full setup.

5). Most foil setups have interchangeable front and rear wings, but most folks start with a larger, lower aspect front wing to begin. It is slow, stable and easiest to learn on. Once you get good enough to be tired of that (could be a few months or years depending on you), you can easily buy a faster, more agile front wing and switch it out to upgrade the performance.

6) You'll also need a leash setup for board and wing, and perhaps some kneepads... you'll understand later...

Good luck!

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 14, 23 6:43 am    Re: A few hints, and questions Reply with quote

jblum wrote:
and perhaps some kneepads... you'll understand later...

haha Quoted for truth! Very Happy

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1473 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 14, 23 8:24 am     Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any foil brands that are cross compatible.
There are even brands(Armstrong) where last years stuff is not compatible with this years.
You should have your foil (mast, fuse, wings) all from one brand.

Otherwise the advice from Jblum is spot on.

jblum

Since 13 Jul 2008
305 Posts
The Gorge
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 14, 23 9:46 am    Cross compatibility Reply with quote

Some things can be cross - for example SAB/ Moses/ Slingy stuff from some years you can swap parts. And they make adapters. And there are aftermarket adapters. There is a guy at the ES and here that makes a compatibility list. And its a big mess. It makes you want to give up instead of trying…. Not the right thing for a person asking such basics to try and put together “the perfect setup”! Haha.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: