Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Waist and Seat harnesses
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Jul 11, 07 11:04 am    Waist and Seat harnesses Reply with quote

Man there are allot of s's in harnesses. Anyways, for better or worse I have always worn a storm seat harness. I really liked it back in the day as it helped me edge my shitty kites and shitty board by keeping my center of pull nice and low. Also, I tend to suffer from minor back pain..in soo much as I tend to not use my abs properly and overstress my back muscles.

I have been thinking that perhaps I should drop some money on one of the new mystic harnesses and join the "in" crowd. Cool They do look pretty comfy and it would be nice to not be wearing a diaper on the water.

The question is, do they still put allot of stress on your back? Do they ride up at all? and lastly, am I going to crush my ribs if I perform a signature face plant?

Any feedback would be great.
Brian

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Jul 11, 07 11:31 am     Reply with quote

Everyone I know with one really likes them... I love my Warrior (doesn't ride up or shift left to right), but it does fuck up my sides (rubs a little).

Also, if you're looking for a hybrid, Mystic has one... though I haven't heard any reviews on it.

http://www.live2kite.com/product_info.php?cPath=78_79&products_id=422&osCsid=db48b5d1a2f3bd1168ec6a4ac8965322

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Jul 11, 07 11:33 am     Reply with quote

Some waist harnesses rise up more than others.

Lots of people with back issues feel better in seat harnesses.

You've really gotta get your ass handed to you to put the spreader bar in the ribs, and once again it depends on the harness.

For me, they are way more comfortable and gives you more freedom of movement (i.e. balls are not in a sling riding toeside)

As they say though, opinions are like .........................

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Jul 11, 07 11:38 am     Reply with quote

Does the mystic only rub you the wrong way w/o a wetsuit and is it a deal breaker?

I've heard they protect the ribs pretty well?? Do you have that extra spreader bar pad?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jul 11, 07 11:41 am     Reply with quote

Mystic is great. Its not very comfortable to wear without a wetsuit or rash guard, but its a good trade-off as the support is excellent.

When I first started wearing mine the extra side support was a little annoying but I have gotten used to it. Best feature is being able to get in and out of the harness without adjusting 4 different straps. Basically I leave the two main straps all the way tight, then just hook in the spreader and the spreader strap (awesome feature btw) and I am good to go.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Jul 11, 07 11:48 am     Reply with quote

So does that spreader strap keep the bar from rising up when you crash or what?

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Jul 11, 07 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

Yea, it's really only a problem when I'm not wearing a top (even a tank/rash guard eliminates the problem for me). And as far as riding up, when you tighten down the lower strap, it'll pull up a bit (maybe an inch or so max), but nothing like it would without it.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 11, 07 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

I don't have any of the above complaints with the firestarter... though I've only worn it once on a mild session without a wetsuit. It's cut a bit different than the warrior.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostWed Jul 11, 07 12:38 pm     Reply with quote

So do you guys notice that your back is sore or tired after a full day of KB?

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Jul 11, 07 12:42 pm     Reply with quote

Not at all-- my back usually feels like the least thrashed part of my body after riding

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 11, 07 12:43 pm     Reply with quote

I don't notice it... both the warrior and the firestarter have built in back support, the firestarter has carried it further with the "badge" on the back.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed Jul 11, 07 12:43 pm     Reply with quote

went from seat to warrior and love it Cori at New wind had some in.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostWed Jul 11, 07 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

I would recommed grabing someone on the beach and asking if you can try theirs before buying one. I have been riding the girls shorts seat harness which I like but I keep stealing PKH's harness the mystic and its super nice the back support is nice I am going to try to find one and join the "cool" kids too.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 11, 07 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

Give the mystic firestarter a ride.
It by far is the best waist harness I've ever owned and IMO it's well worth the extra $$$ over the Warrior

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostWed Jul 11, 07 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

I plan on doing that but really wanted to know what it was like to wear one all day..back ache or not.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostWed Jul 11, 07 2:05 pm     Reply with quote

I was in a car wreck a few years ago and if I really work hard my backhurts pretty bad but I havent noticed it with mystic waist harness yet probably rode with it for 4+ hrs now. The big thing I notice was how sore my abs were could also be from trying to learn how to jump Very Happy

G.Reed

Since 30 Jul 2006
51 Posts

PostWed Jul 11, 07 6:45 pm    Nitro Harness Reply with quote

I've got back issues also and history of a broken rib which took away the waist harness option.

I was recommended the DaKine Nitro harness because I was told a lot of people with back injuries liked them. I'm stoked. It's comfortable and I have way more flexibility than the Fusion I'd been riding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: