Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Off Topic: iwatch 8 won't call when wet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue May 30, 23 5:34 am    Off Topic: iwatch 8 won't call when wet Reply with quote

Curious, my excuse for getting an iwatch was "water safety." The other day while drifting slowly home I tried to make a call to tell friends I would be late. I took the watch off of water lock, but as I pressed the call button to a contact the watch would immediately display "call failed." There was no indication that it was even searching for a network etc.

Wondering if others have had this?

Thanks,
Eric

doogie

Since 16 Oct 2013
12 Posts
White Salmon, WA

PostTue May 30, 23 8:12 am     Reply with quote

You have a cell plan for the watch, correct?

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue May 30, 23 3:53 pm     Reply with quote

Yes

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1257 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 01, 23 7:21 pm     Reply with quote

I have the same question on the Ultra, which I have two use cases for (this being one), but still doesn't come close to my Garmin Fenix 6 (for my needs). Waiting for price to drop (even with Apple discount through a friend).

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 01, 23 10:28 pm     Reply with quote

Is it possible that water droplets are giving spurious commands from the display after you turn off water lock? My Galaxy watch has that issue. I have to get it, and my hand, dry before I take off water lock. I can make an emergency call with the lock on, but it only takes three presses of the button, which can happen accidentally. I wish I could set the emergency call to 10 button pushes so that it couldn't happen accidentally. (I've turned off the feature.) Perhaps the Iwatch has a better setup for dialing with the display locked?

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1257 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 02, 23 8:17 am     Reply with quote

Yup... the touchscreen/droplet issue is the main reason I switched to the Fenix.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Jun 02, 23 8:29 am     Reply with quote

Tried the watch but it was getting banged around and was just not very user friendly. Switched to an otterbox waterproof case with strap for my iphone and it's been working great for years. Fits perfect in my ProMotion vest front zippered pocket. I can swap the phone out of the case in about 10 seconds.

SV->HR

Since 18 Sep 2018
8 Posts
Hood River
Kook

PostFri Jun 02, 23 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

I kite with an Apple Watch 7, tried and failed multiple times to answer a call while riding. The other day I was able to yell out "Hey Siri, text "_____" and it worked like a charm. Something to try. Love the watch for tracking my sessions with Strava.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 02, 23 6:51 pm     Reply with quote

SV->HR wrote:
I kite with an Apple Watch 7, tried and failed multiple times to answer a call while riding. The other day I was able to yell out "Hey Siri, text "_____" and it worked like a charm. Something to try. Love the watch for tracking my sessions with Strava.

Doh! Now I feel stupid. Didn't even think of voice command. I tried it today with the screen water locked, it worked great with my Galaxy watch. Thank you.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 02, 23 6:59 pm     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
Yup... the touchscreen/droplet issue is the main reason I switched to the Fenix.

Out of curiosity, why do you even need to unlock the screen if you're not making a phone call? Since the Fenix can't do that, I don't see the Fenix advantage? (Other than battery life.)

I love having an LTE watch while kiting. I can change climate control on my car--once dry--unlock my car, close/open the rear hatch, open the frunk, lock/unlock my car, change the volume on the stereo, skip songs--while listening to music while rigging/de-rigging--call for a taxi/Uber if I wash ashore on an upwinder, all without dragging along my phone. And, TBH, my elevation data looks more accurate than my friends Fenix watches.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1257 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 02, 23 7:56 pm     Reply with quote

I use Fenix 6X for sleep tracking (apnea), running, cycling, and kite tracking, and the battery generally lasts over a week. Garmin Pay worked great when I was working abroad; in the US not so much. My 5X altitude was ridiculous - I once climbed over 700' SUPping in Padre - but the 6X seems more accurate. I've been in the Garmin ecosystem for over a decade, and it openly integrates with many other platforms (Rouvy, intervals.icu, Zwift, etc.), so it's excellent for my use cases. (I can also develop ConnectIQ apps for free, and helped create Garmin's first kiting app).

What's missing (for me) is emergency phone calling and a-fib detection, but I'm still on the fence about Apple's price and closed ecosystem.

Personally I dislike touchscreens in general (yes, I'm odd).

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 02, 23 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:

What's missing (for me) is emergency phone calling and a-fib detection, but I'm still on the fence about Apple's price and closed ecosystem.

That's precisely why I have the Galaxy watch.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Jun 03, 23 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

Well, embarrassed to say i figured it out. While taking watch off of water lock I think the droplets on screen glitched it out to turn off cell service....

I think I am good now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: