Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Need advice: what size kite(s) to use for Hood River?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
nedrager

Since 10 Jul 2007
19 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Jul 10, 07 2:31 pm    Need advice: what size kite(s) to use for Hood River? Reply with quote

Sup' guys just getting into this sport and finding the choices of equipment is dizzying. This has probably been answered before but I couldn't find any threads on it so....I weigh around 215lbs and was wondering what size kite would be good for Hood River? Any particular brands are better than average? Thanks!

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Jul 10, 07 2:36 pm     Reply with quote

Must resist urge to say "Naish is best" Laughing

Get a lesson and 9m and 12 meter. Then a 7 meter.

www.naishkites.com

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostTue Jul 10, 07 2:55 pm     Reply with quote

For SLE ("bow") kites you really only need two kites, for you prob 9 and 14, though if your willing to spend $$ I'm sure 7, 9 and 14 would be even nicer, just for the really extreme days. I agree also, take at least a lesson or two. Here's an example of what happens if you don't take a lessons and buy a nice new kite: http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-5214.html&highlight=launching

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Jul 10, 07 2:55 pm     Reply with quote

lesson first, then 9m and 13m fuels

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 10, 07 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

Hey nedrager, I just started kiteboarding last year and would be happy to give you my opinions...for what it's worth! Feel free to send me a PM.

...ps, beware the dreaded "which kites are best" topic!...you'll see what happens! Laughing

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 10, 07 3:22 pm     Reply with quote

Talk to your instructor when you TAKE A LESSON Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

All things aside, after a 2M trainer, people need instruction. Hell, I still need instruction and I bet most people on this forum ask "how the hell did you do that Shocked Shocked Shocked "

nedrager

Since 10 Jul 2007
19 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Jul 10, 07 6:45 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for the advice guys. I have a lead on a mostly new 17m Cabrihna Element for $200. To big for Hood River? I'll be heading to the beach (Cannon or Newport) occasionally as well. Would the 9 and 12 still work as well? How 'bout a board? What size would work for me? I'm around 5'10. Thanks again! BTW: lessons are on the way!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 10, 07 7:42 pm     Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm your size, so here's my recommendation: Nothing bigger than a 15 for the Hood. In a C kite, ONLY get a 5 line kite. (Preferably with a sheetable fifth line.) Skip the 4 line C kites regardless of cost. (Some C kites can be converted to 5 line...) You may need a bigger kite for other parts of the state, but before you go bigger try a light wind board like a Glide.

I'd say a 9 and a 14 in a flat kite (+/- 1) or an 11 and a 15 in a 5 line C kite. These would be for less than 25 mph. You should avoid winds greater than 20 till you have some experience, and then you should avoid > 25 for a while too.

Get your lessons before you buy. You might change your mind as to what you want afterwards...

Just my 2 cents

mschulz

Since 29 May 2007
530 Posts
Reno, NV
Addicted

PostTue Jul 10, 07 10:04 pm     Reply with quote

Definitely get a lesson and your instructor will give you the best recommendation on size.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: