Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Efficient and cheap wind guage ?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
NOOB

Since 21 Jun 2007
24 Posts

PostTue Jul 10, 07 12:43 pm    Efficient and cheap wind guage ? Reply with quote

I know the experienced guys just say they know or they use their hair or some junk like that. But NOBODY within 300 miles of me knows what kiteboarding is and I would like to accurately measure the wind on my water as there is no one out kiting to talk with about sizing.

Any reccomendations on a CHEAP wind guage that will be half arse accurate? Or are there any tricks I could use.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Jul 10, 07 12:44 pm     Reply with quote

sand starts blowing....20 mph rig the nine and rip!

www.naishkites.com

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostTue Jul 10, 07 12:51 pm     Reply with quote

Beaufort Wind Scale

Developed in 1805 by Sir Francis Beaufort of England

Force Wind
(Knots) WMO
Classification Appearance of Wind Effects
On the Water On Land
0 Less than 1 Calm Sea surface smooth and mirror-like Calm, smoke rises vertically
1 1-3 Light Air Scaly ripples, no foam crests Smoke drift indicates wind direction, still wind vanes
2 4-6 Light Breeze Small wavelets, crests glassy, no breaking Wind felt on face, leaves rustle, vanes begin to move
3 7-10 Gentle Breeze Large wavelets, crests begin to break, scattered whitecaps Leaves and small twigs constantly moving, light flags extended
4 11-16 Moderate Breeze Small waves 1-4 ft. becoming longer, numerous whitecaps Dust, leaves, and loose paper lifted, small tree branches move
5 17-21 Fresh Breeze Moderate waves 4-8 ft taking longer form, many whitecaps, some spray Small trees in leaf begin to sway
6 22-27 Strong Breeze Larger waves 8-13 ft, whitecaps common, more spray Larger tree branches moving, whistling in wires
7 28-33 Near Gale Sea heaps up, waves 13-20 ft, white foam streaks off breakers Whole trees moving, resistance felt walking against wind
8 34-40 Gale Moderately high (13-20 ft) waves of greater length, edges of crests begin to break into spindrift, foam blown in streaks Whole trees in motion, resistance felt walking against wind
9 41-47 Strong Gale High waves (20 ft), sea begins to roll, dense streaks of foam, spray may reduce visibility Slight structural damage occurs, slate blows off roofs
10 48-55 Storm Very high waves (20-30 ft) with overhanging crests, sea white with densely blown foam, heavy rolling, lowered visibility Seldom experienced on land, trees broken or uprooted, "considerable structural damage"
11 56-63 Violent Storm Exceptionally high (30-45 ft) waves, foam patches cover sea, visibility more reduced
12 64+ Hurricane Air filled with foam, waves over 45 ft, sea completely white with driving spray, visibility greatly reduced

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 10, 07 1:03 pm     Reply with quote

You could try at an aviation store for a handheld wind gauge. Instead of the fancy LCD gauges there are ones that look like a thermometer with a styrofoam ball that gets blown up by the wind -very very simple and accurate. I haven't seen one in years we used to use them for flying gliders, I figure if they're good enough for that they should work fine for kiting. I'll bet you could find one online cheap. Regardless of what you use eventually you'll either lose it or stop relying on it when you get better at judging conditions at your local site, guaranteed!

Good luck!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Jul 10, 07 1:37 pm     Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Windmeter-Windtronic-Wind-Speed-Meter-Anemometer_W0QQitemZ130132644758QQihZ003QQcategoryZ48624QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mine went the way of my reel leash but fun for days when things get 40+ to 50. "Look the wind guage says we are out of our mind"

After a few years - you will be a human wind gauge - close your eyes - listen, grasshopper - airconditioner blowing 2kts NNE.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jul 10, 07 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

pacifichigh wrote:

7 28-33 Near Gale Sea heaps up, waves 13-20 ft, white foam streaks off breakers Whole trees moving, resistance felt walking against wind

That's when I rig my 13M... Rolling Eyes

( i just had to)

NOOB

Since 21 Jun 2007
24 Posts

PostTue Jul 10, 07 3:54 pm     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Windmeter-Windtronic-Wind-Speed-Meter-Anemometer_W0QQitemZ130132644758QQihZ003QQcategoryZ48624QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mine went the way of my reel leash but fun for days when things get 40+ to 50. "Look the wind guage says we are out of our mind"

After a few years - you will be a human wind gauge - close your eyes - listen, grasshopper - airconditioner blowing 2kts NNE.

I understand, as stated in my first post, but do not want to wait a few years Wink

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Jul 10, 07 4:12 pm     Reply with quote

Off the subject....
Is that you snowmobiling in your avatar?

www.naishkites.com

NOOB

Since 21 Jun 2007
24 Posts

PostTue Jul 10, 07 6:30 pm    yup Reply with quote

Sure is !

I used to guide and am currently working full time in snowmobile area management and promotion in Valemount BC, is a paradise ! 65+ Days on the mountain last year

Box06.jpg 
   IMG_2017.jpg 

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostTue Jul 10, 07 9:20 pm     Reply with quote

I took a 20' PVC pipe and added a tell tale
using the strips that come around a new kite.
The 0 is a weight like a small rock that only
starts to blow outward from the pole | when
it gets windy. You might rig up a swivel at the
top so it doesn't wrap around the pole as easily.
(pay no attention to the cyan ..... -just for spacing)

wind -->

|\
|..\
|....\
|.....0 _______
|
|
|
|
|
|

Or you could just put up Old Glory!

or make one using a bike speedometer

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Jul 11, 07 4:18 am     Reply with quote

Nice Sled bro. RMK!!!!!

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostWed Jul 11, 07 5:19 am     Reply with quote

looks like good snowkite terrain behind the king

G-dog

Since 04 Jan 2007
61 Posts
Portland

PostWed Jul 11, 07 7:01 am     Reply with quote

You could try at an aviation store for a handheld wind gauge. Instead of the fancy LCD gauges there are ones that look like a thermometer with a styrofoam ball that gets blown up by the wind -very very simple and accurate[/quote]

My office has a ton of these type devices lying around in the basement because they used to need wind data for certain biological studies. They're similar to what kitebot described, only all plastic. If you can't find them at aviation sites, try science/lab supply places and they shouldn't be more than $20. If you don't find anything, let me know, I could probably just send you one!

Nice pics by the way, looks like some beautiful terrain. Can you ski there (besides heli-ski)?

NOOB

Since 21 Jun 2007
24 Posts

PostWed Jul 11, 07 1:56 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks guys

as fare as skiing, we do alot of sled access boarding, but have no chairlift. Ive been know to do a bit of touring as well in my thinner days

As for the snowkiting terrain, i hope to find out !

five

Since 03 Mar 2007
7 Posts
Hawaii
Kook

PostFri Jul 13, 07 9:28 am     Reply with quote

How bout this? If only there was more water in Wyoming...

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostSun Jul 15, 07 9:50 am     Reply with quote

The Wyoming wind gauge reminded me of a few years ago when I was teaching a class in Casper in March and I asked when the snow melted. Was told that "the snow never melts in Wyoming, it just blows around until it wears out..."

windyway

Since 20 Jul 2007
3 Posts
Portland
Kook

PostFri Jul 20, 07 9:31 pm    Good wind gauges are incredibly useful. Reply with quote

First, spend $75 and get a digital Kestrel. I've used mine for three years and it is durable and accurate. All the little ones with tell tales and floaty balls just tell you what you already know from your eyes and ears.

An accurate gauge will tell you what you can't feel, and I can guess the wind better than anybody because I always get to verify my guess.

As a newbie, a gauge will save your butt and allow you to rig the correct size kite. You'll know the difference between gusting to 47 and gusting to 37 which can be life and death. On the other end of the scale, if the peak gust is not over 20 you can ride a 16m or if the lowest lull is 16, you can get away with a 9m bow. You'll quickly learn the exact range of your kites.

Spend the bucks, its a long term investment and money well spent. WW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: