Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

2023 Hood River Waterfront Parking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1473 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 24, 23 5:19 pm    2023 Hood River Waterfront Parking Reply with quote

2023 Port Waterfront Parking
The notable changes and key things to keep in mind for this season are:
To reduce operating costs, the Port is moving to mobile payment only for waterfront parking – either with the Flowbird or Passport mobile apps, or Text to Pay.
The Event Site booth will be closed. People may pay by the hour or day using Pay-by-Text or the Flowbird Mobile or Passport Apps.
Paid parking will be implemented at the Hook using Pay-by-Text or the Flowbird Mobile App.
Paid parking will be implemented at the Marina boat ramp using Pay-by-Text or the Flowbird Mobile App.
Paid parking will be available on West Portway for all size vehicles all days using Pay-by-Text or the Flowbird Mobile App. This change will cause challenges for freight vehicles that were permitted to park in that Zone exclusively on weekdays. As we work to ensure proper ingress/egress for trucks into the Maritime building parking lot, watch for new signage and curb markings on that block.
Season Passes are available online and available to purchase in person at the Port Office Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm.
Season Passes for regular length vehicles (20’ and under) are valid at: The Event Site, Lot #1, and Jensen West parking lot.
Season Passes for overlength vehicles (over 20’), RV’s, campers, buses, and vehicles with trailers are valid at the Event Site in designated overlength parking spots and Lot #1.
Season Passes are not valid for street parking, The Hook or the Marina boat ramp.
NO RVs, campers, buses, trailers, or vehicles over 20’ allowed at: The Hook, Jensen West Parking Lot, or The Spit.

ericvs

Since 05 Jul 2008
133 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Apr 24, 23 7:03 pm     Reply with quote

no vehicles over 20' at the spit or the hook?

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
463 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon Apr 24, 23 10:48 pm    Thanks for the update! Reply with quote

Pay to park at the Hook. It’s been decades coming, but here we are. The Hook seems like a zone that should be added to the areas covered by the season pass. Hook parking has already been reduced for emergency egress, it will probably be parked out on peak days. Including the hook would make it convenient for the same crowd that used the event site and the big overflow Lot1.

The spit and marina parking are still free? (Excluding the boat ramp)

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
389 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 25, 23 8:14 am     Reply with quote

Its bad enough they are charging everyone, but if the Port wants to make it easy on everyone, why dont they stay consistent? Some places you can use one app, and that same app not in another area, season passes cover this area, but not another. You have to pay here, but not there.. what a joke. Mad

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
261 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Apr 26, 23 10:16 am     Reply with quote

Right?! "Reduce overhead" by cutting the job of the kid in the booth but doubling up on enforcement to ticket offenders would be my guess. Make it as confusing as possible for visitors not familiar with what's included in which zone to ensure more ticketing!
It would be amazing if we put all that effort toward making the Event Site a better place. Like more bathrooms with hot water? Lifeguards?

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
389 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostThu Apr 27, 23 8:35 am     Reply with quote

windpig wrote:
Right?! "Reduce overhead" by cutting the job of the kid in the booth but doubling up on enforcement to ticket offenders would be my guess. Make it as confusing as possible for visitors not familiar with what's included in which zone to ensure more ticketing!
It would be amazing if we put all that effort toward making the Event Site a better place. Like more bathrooms with hot water? Lifeguards?

Yeah, totally agree with that. I have defiantly seen improvement of the waterfront in the 44 years I have been here, but we are still two decades behind IMO. (insert head shake here)

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
789 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Apr 27, 23 11:09 am     Reply with quote

and what about cider fest?

https://www.hoodriverciderfest.com/

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 28, 23 7:37 am     Reply with quote

does this mean those kiosks are gone at the ES?

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
146 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Apr 28, 23 8:21 am    CHECK MY WEBSITE TODAY Reply with quote

I posted a blog today that fits right in with this. With enough support, a live Lyle webcam will spur more interest in gaining legal EASY ACCESS to the Lyle Sandbar for kiting...wingboarding...fishing.. dog walking... kid playing...whatever..

Maybe this would lead to interest in developing that area into a future park..

But right now it's FREE...

An engineering study has already been done, and the squeeze has to be put on the county and state parks to implement pressure on the resistant BNSF railroad to get the ball rolling.

Anyway... in the short term, a live webcam view along with my daily wind report will benefit everyone.

Thanks, VTI

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
463 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 28, 23 7:01 pm    Event site parking changes Reply with quote

Can we get rid of the tire popping device at the west end of the event site? Since the payment is all digital there’s no need. Maybe we could drive in at either end?

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
99 Posts
Lyle, WA

PostSat Apr 29, 23 7:04 am    Re: Event site parking changes Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:
Can we get rid of the tire popping device at the west end of the event site? Since the payment is all digital there’s no need. Maybe we could drive in at either end?

I agree. It seems antiquated and requires the port to pay for upkeep.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1473 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Apr 29, 23 10:13 am    Re: Event site parking changes Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:

A few years ago some local youths were partying in the ES parking lot after hours.
One of the kids did the right thing and called his parents for a ride home.
The father drove down to pick him up..... and not being familiar with the Event Site drove in the west entrance of which you speak.... POP, POP, POP, POP!

gtm

Since 04 Jul 2005
35 Posts

PostSun Apr 30, 23 7:50 am     Reply with quote

Has anyone used the flowbird parking app? It does not seem to recognize The Hook for me. Could easily be operator error on my part. Any success?

KiteGirlHR

Since 19 Apr 2019
18 Posts

PostThu May 04, 23 9:13 am     Reply with quote

gtm wrote:
Has anyone used the flowbird parking app? It does not seem to recognize The Hook for me. Could easily be operator error on my part. Any success?

May 4th and the Flowbird app confirmed does not acknowledge any parking in Hood River.

doogie

Since 16 Oct 2013
12 Posts
White Salmon, WA

PostMon May 22, 23 7:54 pm     Reply with quote

Ldhr,

Can you forward this to the appropriate people at the port?

FYI, when people park at Lehar Jensen beach parking lot, there is no way for people to pay. I have the permit so it doesn’t affect me, but today there were several people trying to figure out how to pay. The pay station is not functioning and there are no links, QR codes, or any info indicating what app for people to download so they know where and what to pay.
Any chance we can get something down there for people?

Thanks,
Doogie

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1473 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 23, 23 9:43 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I appreciate you letting me know. The Port is aware of the problem and working on getting it fixed. They are replacing the system and have new signage on the way to help eliminate the confusion. We are looking at possibly another week before it gets resolved.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: