Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Want a real time wind sensor on Sauvies Island? (click here)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 10, 07 6:30 am    Want a real time wind sensor on Sauvies Island? (click here) Reply with quote

Just one more click: http://www.ikitesurf.com/support.iws?topic=Contact+Us&contactOption=11

Send your request for a real time wind sensor on Sauvies Island to the iKitesurf team. The current sensor is on the DEQ air monitoring station and has a 1-2 hour lag in wind readings.

The forecasters also asked for feedback on forecasts and recent wind conditions:
iKitesurf: Western: Few if any AM clouds, mostly sunny PM w/ brisk NNW mid teen winds possible at Sauvie's. If you have any feedback regarding conditions there on MON PM, please send them to us via the link provided below our forecasts. It would be nice to find a full time sensor position here and it's something we've investigated without much luck so far. Jones Beach may see a flurry of mid to even upper teen winds w/ a hard NW slant, Young's Bay stronger however.

~Dano (disclaimer: Not affiliated with iKitesurf. I’m a paying customer....)

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jul 10, 07 7:22 am     Reply with quote

They have been "trying" to get a sensor out there for years. What the hell, I guess one more click can't hurt.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 10, 07 7:48 am     Reply with quote

So I just sent them a message saying - "uuuhhh, yeah, I want a real time sensor at SI."

What exactly are we supposed to say?

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 10, 07 10:45 am     Reply with quote

What you said will work. The more iKitesurf hears there is interest (i.e. $$) for pursuing a sensor at SI, the better chance we’ll get one. I’m sure they have to balance their capital expenditures across their customer base. I think iKS is finally seeing SI as a legitimate kite launch…

Yes MB, it is true that this has been a long time coming and we have to keep on it. Anyone with contacts on the island for a sensor location could really help. In the past iKS has given “membership credit” for those who provide working locations for new sensors. Let iKS know.

Tx, D
terremoto wrote:
So I just sent them a message saying - "uuuhhh, yeah, I want a real time sensor at SI."

What exactly are we supposed to say?

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jul 10, 07 11:45 am     Reply with quote

message sent. The state problem in the past has been no telephone line access. But with the sophisticated solar and wireless units they have now, that shouldn't be an issue at all.

I think the issue if the price although Ikite did raise the membership fees from 7.95 to 13.95 a month!.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jul 10, 07 12:08 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah it'd be great to have a sensor but isn't there something unique about Sauvies where you leave work an hour early to rush out there even though Scappose is only reading 5, and Fremont is barely north... but you go because you just KNOW its going to turn on right when you get there and everybody else will still be back in town 40 minutes away so you get all the goodness to yourself? Very Happy

Then again, when it doesn't blow... it sucks Twisted Evil

Or if you don't already have IWindsurf, take the $14 bucks a month and put it towards cheap beer, then you never get skunked! (well maybe skunky beer.)

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostTue Jul 10, 07 2:29 pm     Reply with quote

I talked to em a few years ago about it (had to be about 03 or so) and they said that they couldn't find a sponsor (ie; electricity and a phone line). Of course, the SI I go to now blows 20+ about every day. Laughing Cool

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostWed Jul 11, 07 9:13 am     Reply with quote

That's the conversation I had with them too. Because we've been bugging them since like '03 --I have a feeling that they have talked with people who live on the island and are willing to rent space to Ikite--but negociations have failed because of a combination that the resident's want too much for rent --and/or-- Ikite does't want to pay that much if anything--I mean, why pay to rent when the info is free already?

I think a real-time sensor would be awesome for sauvies--definitely needed for us pdx'ers who "just want to get a session in" without 1.5 hour skunk-trip! Wink

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Jul 12, 07 11:10 am     Reply with quote

Even an accurate sensor on the beach would be nice...

Tuesday - 13 meterable
 Tuesday - 13 meterable  Tues.gif 
Monday - powered 9 meter
 Monday - powered 9 meter  Mon.gif 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: