Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

A Week in South Texas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Mar 21, 23 5:36 am    A Week in South Texas Reply with quote

I'll be in South Texas for a week in mid-April for a business trip. Any recommendations on wetsuit thickness (booties) and a good rental center as I don't really want to bring too much gear.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Mar 21, 23 6:13 am     Reply with quote

I usually bring boardshorts, shorty, and a neoprene jacket, to take a layered approach. I keep a 3/2 ProMotion "storm shorty" there (with 1mm neoprene shorts to cover the blown-out crotch). It can get cold, sometimes really cold, when northerlies that lead out storm fronts roll through - they're not steady like the southerlies but still good kiting.

Predominately, it's hot and muggy, so boardshorts, SPF 50 long sleeve rash guard, and reef-friendly sunscreen, and large-rim hat is what I mainly wear. (Have sacrificed many sunglasses to the gulf and laguna...).

"South Texas" has many viable kiting spots but I assume you'll plan to hit South Padre Island. You definitely want to check in with the folks at ProKite (https://prokitesouthpadre.com) for current conditions, as there's been flooding on the flats, and possible changes to access rules. Gulf downwinders are a blast. It's still spring break season and semana santa is crazy (traffic) there, but late April often serves up stellar conditions (I usually go annually).

Enjoy it y'all!

Last edited by shred_da_gorge on Tue Mar 21, 23 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Mar 21, 23 6:16 am     Reply with quote

Oh, booties I find optional, but many people prefer them when walking in the shallow water on the laguna madre (bay) side of SPI. There are lots of broken shells and frankly my feet have been nicked and shredded through the years of going there, but I still prefer being barefoot on the board. YMMV.

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
259 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Mar 21, 23 8:52 pm     Reply with quote

I'd mirror what Shred said.

If your in Corpus, I think you have one option, Kiteboarding.com for rentals and such. In SPI, Prokite is probably your best bet. Brett's been down there for years and knows the island inside and out. He also has gear.

I would add to Shred's recommendations, grab a cooler, get two gallons of drinking water, once you've drank half of one, freeze the half, fill with drinking water (not tap water cuz it's awful) and use the non-frozen gallon to rinse the salt water off of you, and the half frozen gallon (which will no longer be frozen but cold and delicious) to drink. Pro-tip.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Mar 22, 23 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

Thank you for the intel! Is kitefoiling a big thing down there? Seems like it might be so smooth and shallow that a twin or surf might be as good as a foil!?

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 22, 23 2:50 pm     Reply with quote

Great tip from windpig! Yes, due to steady light winds kitefoiling is big in SPI, but... it is SHALLOW on the bay (laguna madre) side. It's probably the best place to learn kiting (and foiling) for that reason, but in general you need shorter masts, and be prepared to walk out to get started. The bay side won't have swell or waves and barely any chop, so short masts should be fine anyway.

Spring is the best time to be there for wind strength, so if your plan is to foil in lighter winds, you may be 'unlucky' with your timing. (For kites, I keep a 12m Ozone Alpha and bring in 7m and 9m Pivots there, using a Slingy Convertor board to give me the foiling option; I use a Cabrinha Varial foil setup there with 55cm and 65cm masts).

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Mar 23, 23 7:26 am     Reply with quote

Stoked to give a new place a try!

maxx

Since 09 Aug 2015
3 Posts

Kook

PostThu Mar 23, 23 7:20 pm     Reply with quote

Have been down in SPI for the past 3 weeks and here until May this year. Was able to kite and wing a lot so far. Its usually it gets windy enough to foil in the shallow bay even on lower wind days. For Winging there is a small channel u can use to taxi out into deeper waters at the convention center. If the wind is strong enough the Jetty is the place to be. Some days have perfect rolling waves for surfboard, wing or kite foil.

Pro Kite has a good writeup on all the spots to kite here https://prokitesouthpadre.com/places-to-ride-spi/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: