Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Depowerable Kites
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostMon Jul 09, 07 2:49 pm    Depowerable Kites Reply with quote

So, I got a bunch of persistent questioning about pulling my 13M Bularoo out on a day that the wind was blowing 20-25 with 30 gusts.

What I would like to say is, if you ride a traditional C with little depower, you simply do not understand why it is okay to go out on that kite on that day in that wind. And when the person you are questioning tells you they are fine with that kite in that wind, say okay and leave it at that.

Obviously if they are making an ass of themselves and endangering others say/do something, but if the person is doing all the right things, but it bringing out a larger kite than you they should have, just let it go after one question.

Thanks.
Rob

Garret

Since 07 Sep 2006
254 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 09, 07 2:59 pm     Reply with quote

I think one of those persons was me-- I was flying on a 7m Waroo and was fully powered. Seeing someone go out on a kite that is 2'x the size made me concerned. If other people asked you as well then maybe there was reason for concern. These kites do not depower as much as you might hope and in a big gust you would be endangering yourself and others around you. Try a smaller kite- they are fun to fly.

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostMon Jul 09, 07 3:03 pm    trust Reply with quote

The issue is I said I was going to be fine and I was fine, then had to come in early cause there was not enough wind.

After a person says they are good, that should be it.

And if this is the guy I also out weigh you by about 40 pounds. That is a big deal. If you don't believe me get on the Supersize diet for, what was it three months, and then try your 7m in 20-25 wind.

Smile

rob

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostMon Jul 09, 07 3:05 pm    no, they are not. Reply with quote

Garret wrote:
Try a smaller kite- they are fun to fly.

They get me stuck in the middle of the river and make me swim to shore.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostMon Jul 09, 07 3:08 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Rob-

i feel for ya, people look at me funny when i'm rigging up my 13m fuel and everybody else is rigging 5m and 7m waroo's or 9m / 10m C kites. Just no one ever says anything to me; not now anyway.... Cool

altho, i do have to agree that riding a smaller kite (sometimes with a bigger board) is a lot more fun, they just zip along and loop so much faster.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jul 09, 07 3:12 pm     Reply with quote

13M SLE in 30 knots of wind... Why? Sure maybe you can depower it so its sort of rideable, but you will be going super slow with a depowered kite that’s not in its sweet spot sheeting wise. If the kite crashes and inverts now the depower is useless and you have 13m of kite ripping you down the water, sandbar, rocks, etc..

In my opinion the idea that SLE's actually depower that much better than modern C's is kind of a myth. Its true that the bridles do give you some extra ability to dump power immediately from the kite, but most the 07 SLE kites still remain very powered even when you have sheeted out entirely.

Also modern C kites have been given somewhat of a bad name in the depower department. I believe C kites have less range than bows, but the extra SLE range is more at the bottom end not the top end. This relates back to the other thread I posted about C kite versus SLE sizing. Generally if you ride a C kite you will be on a bigger kite than an SLE because the SLE has a larger projected lift area.

Anyway a 13m SLE is probably the equivalent of a 14m or 15m C in projected area, so why somebody would be out on one in 30 knot gusts is beyond me. Unless you weigh 300+ or something...

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jul 09, 07 3:18 pm     Reply with quote

Here was the other thread on SLE and C kite sizing:

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-4857.html

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostMon Jul 09, 07 3:20 pm    My Point Reply with quote

My point is not to argue C vs bow or just how much wind is too much for a given rider mass, my point is if the person you are going to question tells you it is all good, then just let it be.

One question one answer is enough.

Rob

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 09, 07 3:22 pm     Reply with quote

robkov, sounds to me like you should have been questioning why garrett was going out on a kite so small.... Wink

interesting situation for a lengthy dicussion about how when and where to speak ones mind.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostMon Jul 09, 07 3:28 pm    Re: My Point Reply with quote

robkov wrote:
My point is not to argue C vs bow or just how much wind is too much for a given rider mass, my point is if the person you are going to question tells you it is all good, then just let it be.

One question one answer is enough.

Rob

Rob, I agree that if a rider can handle the wind then thats his issue. however, many of us have seen people who say "It will be fine" and rig up a kite too big and then get hurt. These are generally new people to the sport. I'm not saying you are new to the sport or that you can't handle your kite - I have probably never met you. But these people are trying to look out for the safety of newbees and for everyone else who happens to be around the area.

I don't know man - but maybe if you threw in something like, "Hey I know its a big kite, but I'm a big guy, and I have been kiting for X number of years" that may work.

Garret

Since 07 Sep 2006
254 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 09, 07 3:46 pm     Reply with quote

To make something clear- if I am the person who asked you you said you were fine, I replied you sure and let you know that I was out on a 7m and was well powered. You responded you went out the day before in similar conditions and I let it drop and walked away to put away my kite. If the fact that that conversation offended you then you are missing the point of someone looking out for a fellow kiter-- I would expect the same if I was doing something someone thought was queestionable.

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostMon Jul 09, 07 4:34 pm     Reply with quote

"Obviously if they are making an ass of themselves and endangering others say/do something,"

Rob,

You should be happy that your fellow kiters gave a shit to question your choice of kite size. If we wait until you make an ass of yourself it's to late to do much but watch and hope you make it in OK. How about next time you just say," Thanks for checking, but I'm a big guy and I always ride a big kite, so I'll be fine." and then go out and huck a 40 footer with a spin and a grab just to prove your point.

Bandito

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostMon Jul 09, 07 6:35 pm    Nice girl was rigging a 12 meter with encouraging friend! Reply with quote

I was at the spit on Sunday and a tiny red head girl was going to rig a 12 meter. Her friend was telling her it would be great. I was rigging my 11 meter and I told her that a 12 for her was too big. It was SLE and her friend told me that it would depower. I said yea but I'm 220 lbs and if I am going out on an 11 flat Turbo II and your friend weighs maybe a buck then she is going to be overpowered. I asked if she had flown it and she said, NOpe! I said better safe than sorry.

Later I saw her on her friends 10 meter c kite and she was happy. Off the water I asked if she had a good session, she said yes.

It's better to be safe than sorry.
Very Happy

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostMon Jul 09, 07 7:52 pm    more than one Reply with quote

there were 5 people that gave me a piece of their mind, 3 of them were kinda jerkish, the other 2 were not.

Guess I just got tired of saying the same things. So, I will shut it now.

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
781 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostMon Jul 09, 07 8:20 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot of people were just looking out for you & your gear. That's a good thing.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 09, 07 11:02 pm     Reply with quote

thanks garret for approaching another fellow rider and talking to him.
i had a similiar experience at rufus on saturday when a kiter new to the rufus area was pumping up his 12m while winds were 7-9m conditions.

stringy

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostTue Jul 10, 07 2:02 am    Jack and Magic Reply with quote

Jack and Magicmaker are the guys making the most sense to me!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: