Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Depowerable Kites
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 10, 07 11:50 am     Reply with quote

bleighty-i know why riders in florida are vigilent regarding unknown riders doing things at the edge of the envelope. my guess is you guys would like to avoid more beach closures. . .st pete is a peach, by the way, rode your area last november. props to your sense of community down there. Cool

beach closure on the columbia d/t people getting worked is alway a possiblilty.

it aint just about how you feel about it. its about the greatest good for the largest number. (a workable definition of community)

props, too to those that go out of their way to look out for others.

jimmi

Gorilla Pete

Since 20 Jun 2007
3 Posts
No Po
Kook

PostTue Jul 10, 07 1:43 pm     Reply with quote

This topic seems equivalent to avalanche preparedness in the backcountry ski/snowboard world. If I see someone out without a shovel coming from their pack or making bad decisions with exposure, or not digging pits; I respectfully ask their take on conditions. More often than not this illuminates their true preparedness and hits the unprepared with a dose humility. Othertimes I'll get a new perspective on conditions, techniques, or preparedness. These times have been very valuable learning experiences.
I always approach the skier/rider with the same respect I'd want, and I always go into the situation sans ego. There are "kook patrol" types in the ski/snowboard world I've come across who do not follow this ethic and their results rarely match their intention. I sure hope whoever is taking kook patrol duties upon themselves on the spit or beach can focus on respect, humility, and an open mind.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 10, 07 2:56 pm     Reply with quote

WERD!

Gorilla Pete wrote:
This topic seems equivalent to avalanche preparedness in the backcountry ski/snowboard world. If I see someone out without a shovel coming from their pack or making bad decisions with exposure, or not digging pits; I respectfully ask their take on conditions. More often than not this illuminates their true preparedness and hits the unprepared with a dose humility. Othertimes I'll get a new perspective on conditions, techniques, or preparedness. These times have been very valuable learning experiences.
I always approach the skier/rider with the same respect I'd want, and I always go into the situation sans ego. There are "kook patrol" types in the ski/snowboard world I've come across who do not follow this ethic and their results rarely match their intention. I sure hope whoever is taking kook patrol duties upon themselves on the spit or beach can focus on respect, humility, and an open mind.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jul 10, 07 3:03 pm     Reply with quote

Gorilla Pete wrote:
I sure hope whoever is taking kook patrol duties upon themselves on the spit or beach can focus on respect, humility, and an open mind.

hey, you just described Garrett.

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostTue Jul 10, 07 3:09 pm    Obviously a no wind day.... Reply with quote

Obviously a no wind day.... no one has anything better to do than forums.

I really did not me to start such a shit storm, but here is a little more crap.

Someone a few messages back said I should be grateful and not take offense at another person looking out for me. Well, as I stated before, when someone explains all is good you should leave it at that and not become rude and intrusive. 3 of the 5 guys that "questioned" me went over the line.

They were not looking out for me, they only wanted to tell me what I should do, simply for the sake of telling me what to do.

You know the type, they think they know what is best, and if you are doing something different they want to tell you why they are right and you are wrong.

I don't mind a question or a bit of advice about the wind, but let it lay, don't be a dick when the other person does not agree with you.

For fuk sake I was looking at my wind report on my phone while attached to the kite when one of these guys was giving me crap. Yea, I knew what the wind was doing, I was feeling it and reading about it.

Rob

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Jul 10, 07 3:31 pm     Reply with quote

your right bud those five guys plotted for days on how they were going to rule you that day because they knew you were going to rig big big boy.

they probably tried to steal you board leash to ,right? Laughing Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil :twisted

Garret

Since 07 Sep 2006
254 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 10, 07 10:07 pm     Reply with quote

Robkov-- let me be the first to apologize if I was one of the three that was obnixious- it was not my intention to be so. In fact I probably would never have said anything had a few months ago at Lyle I had not watched a woman get completely yarded on launch and crash into the bushes with her kite stuck in the reeds- she was very shaken up but luckily not hurt- and ironically she had just been asked the same question as you about a minute earlier. Then the next day at the sand spit a group of us had to carry a man unconscious and seizing to an ambulance because he was riding on an unfamiliar and outdated kite and ended up going head first into a log. Thankfully he is all right and even helped clean up the logs that hurt him.

What I am trying to say is you are right no one has the right to be rude, and you are also right we don't know the experience level of the other person, we are all here to enjoy the wind and water, but understand the guy on the otherside of the question- and I am not sure where the notion of any of us felt that we should be thanked for what we thought was vigilance- I dont think any of us expeced that- remember the post was "depowerable kites" not "Dude where is the thanks?"

Hope to see you out on the water so I can apologize in person if I was rude. Smile

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostWed Jul 11, 07 8:28 am    self taught Reply with quote

I would never have any time to kite if I went to everyone on our beach on twice as big a kite as me ,almost everyone flies a much bigger kite than me ,
the norm would be ding dong from the east coast who"sailed here all the time in the 80's "
he's out on a 13 waroo I'm on a 7
he has a Jimmy Lewis custom surfboard
I have a homemade"piece of crap"
we both have a good sess
he asks PJC "I wonder who is on the right kite "
the response was "probably the guy who lives here "
the answer is not all that clear cut
he looked pretty satisfied.

Getting worked is a part of learning this sport
as in avaition the take-offs and landings are the most dangerous part
I saw a bumper sticker the other day
STUPID IS SUPPOSED TO HURT
This should be the self taught slogan

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostWed Jul 11, 07 9:52 pm    Dick Reply with quote

I was not trying to be a dick about this issue and maybe my Subject was misinformative so I am sorry.

Just want more love on the water. Seem to be a lot of roosters out there strutting, oh and absolutely not enough hens. Will my damn GF ever get out there...

If you read some of these other postings you would think 80% of the kiters out there are assholes. Poor Jim asking people to keep clear of instruction time and he got pissed all over. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, but damn you can at least be civil about it. No wonder the port doesn't deal with kiters on a more official basis.

Hope this post ends this thread.

Rob

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 12, 07 8:09 am     Reply with quote

People are always so aggro. Its the way of the selfish sport.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostThu Jul 12, 07 8:17 am    Re: Dick Reply with quote

robkov wrote:

If you read some of these other postings you would think 80% of the kiters out there are assholes. Poor Jim asking people to keep clear of instruction time and he got pissed all over. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, but damn you can at least be civil about it. No wonder the port doesn't deal with kiters on a more official basis.

Rob, a lot of the "assholes" on this forum are pretty active and do not represent the majority of the kiters out there. Also, a lot of the asshole members piss off the non-assholes and then the non-asshole members just decide to leave - or just never join because they see how members treat one another on the forum. Slurs of homos, pussys, bitches, and so forth are the norm - and so a lot of people that wouldn't normally partake in this type of communication decide to just join in because thats what they see everyone else doing.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jul 12, 07 8:32 am     Reply with quote

I think everything has been said, time to move on.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: