Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Depowerable Kites
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 10, 07 6:33 am    Re: Jack and Magic Reply with quote

robkov wrote:
Jack and Magicmaker are the guys making the most sense to me!

In reading Garrett's post, I noticed he used too many personal pronouns, in particular, WAY too many YOU's.

Garrett, how dare you violate the English language like that while attempting to justify keeping someone safe. I mean, good Lord, can't you approach a possible noob without all the I's and you's? What if he would have gone out on the bigger kite and got totally tea-bagged and drug up onto the sandbar? What then would you have said? Are YOU ok? Can I help YOU? Do YOU need a ride to the hospital?

yeesh... the nerve! Laughing

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Jul 10, 07 7:23 am     Reply with quote

I too was on a 7meter SLE. I was lit at times. I weigh 210lbs. I talked to you because you were rigging a big kite for the day. Its important that we as a group question others that can be making possible bad decisions. There have been many cases of people putting up the wrong size kites, or having there lines crossed (which yours were!) and hurting themselves or others.

Both Garret and I were quite nice about talking to you. If a bunch of people are questioning you then maybe you need to ask yourself if you are making the right call.

As they say Safety first!

www.naishkites.com

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jul 10, 07 8:16 am     Reply with quote

i have been at rufus very comfortable on my 10m when others were saying they were lit on the 5m waroos? the other day gman was out on his 5m when i was on my 14m, neither one of us was complaining . i sympathize with robkov who is simply saying after the 4th or 5th time he had heard enough. maybe i read it the wrong way, but is sounds like the "kook patrol" is getting a bit over zealous. reminds of the crossing guards in elementary school... i am all for saying something if you dont think something is right or fear something will go horribly wrong, but even after robkov has has explained himself and his capabilites you are still in a sense questioning him
"Both Garret and I were quite nice about talking to you. If a bunch of people are questioning you then maybe you need to ask yourself if you are making the right call. "

i also get the sense that folks here think robkov should now be thankful for your persistence?

tough call, i think it is important to speak ones mind, but also be understanding if someone gets frustrated by it

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Jul 10, 07 8:36 am     Reply with quote

For sure that's the BIGGEST problem ,,
with the new kites
Used to be when the wind picked up all the ????? (fill in the blank)
would just blow away
NOW they stick around

and I have to buzz them(that just slipped out)

I flew the Bularoo the other day and IT does depower very nicely
way better than my 06
garbage

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jul 10, 07 9:01 am     Reply with quote

Hmmmm? Lets see, everyone was lit up on 7m's and 9m's and some guy shows up at the sand bar (no koooks there) starts rigging a 13m and gets pissy when people start asking him whats up?

I'm calling BS dude. You can fly whatever you want but if it looks like a kook, walks like a kook and starts to act like a kook... then the kook patrol is obligated to step in and ask..."ummm are you sure about that dude". Unless your A. 300lbs or B. trying to kiteboard on a snowskate that is ALLOT of kite for those conditions..depower or not.

People are just looking out for you, obviously nobody knows who the hell you are. Why do you have to get all bent out of shape because people actually give a shit about the fact that you may hurt yourself.

How about scenario number two? Its gusting up to 30 at the bar and here comes the guy with the 13m asking for a launch. Everyone is looking around nervously but nobody wants to say a damn thing b/c they might get there feathers ruffled if their skills are ever questioned. Kite gets launched, super sheeted out kite inverts, falls to mid window, revearts back to normal and said dude is now a projectile that ends up hurting himself or others.

If you want to fly inappropriate kites or hell, just about anything stupid, dangerous or foolhardy, come out and do it at Sauvie; we live for that kind of stuff out there
Very Happy

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 10, 07 9:12 am     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:

If you want to fly inappropriate kites or hell, just about anything stupid, dangerous or foolhardy, come out and do it at Sauvie; we live for that kind of stuff out there
Very Happy

Are you saying we should send all Kooks to SI - and then let Tony deal with them? Very Happy

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostTue Jul 10, 07 9:25 am     Reply with quote

I'm saying that we encourage the kooks to come out and entertain us at the island. I mean, who doesn't slow down to look at the train wreck?

Be advised, we may patrol the kooks on the water from the shore .....

http://www.balloonbazooka.com/

http://www.slingking.com/

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jul 10, 07 9:29 am     Reply with quote

monkeyboy who are you to decide what an appropriate kite is for someone?

clearly robkov has more than demonstrated that he was ok on his 13m and yet you imply by the statement below and other by their statements that he was still wrong for doing it

"If you want to fly inappropriate kites or hell, just about anything stupid, dangerous or foolhardy, come out and do it at Sauvie; we live for that kind of stuff out there Smile"

seems a bit on the arrogant side, it also seems like folks here want to be thanked for doing what they think is right (speaking their mind). when doing what you think is right you should have no expectations or dissapointment by the reactions it provokes.

amazes me that after his very clear post about what is right for him, robkov is still being question for his kite selection....

seems like he is being attacked for simply stating his frustration with multiple comments about his decisions which he clearly seems competent enough to make on his own

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostTue Jul 10, 07 9:30 am     Reply with quote

just wanted to add the magic of waroos/bows/sle's......

-we were at Jones last week, and one of us on a 12m (totally fine), another on a 9m( totally fine), and lastly a 7m ( still lit), ...all waroos.

I think it really comes down what you like to ride and how you like to ride it. Very Happy

-I like the small ones, quick and responsive.....but some like to park it so....?

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Jul 10, 07 9:31 am     Reply with quote

Oh yes, Trevor will check your "Oh Shit" handles if you aren't possitve they're working. However, it'd usually be a good idea to unhook first, or at least have your hand on your emergency release (also make sure your leash isn't connected)!

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostTue Jul 10, 07 9:51 am     Reply with quote

It is great to tell someone what size other people are on or how windy it is but leave it at that unless you know the person is a beginer. Some people love to big kites some love small I have been in both phases.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jul 10, 07 9:54 am     Reply with quote

Early in the season we had some serious accidents where there was blood, head trauma, broken limbs, etc.. The call went out for people to look out for each other and try to keep people from getting in dangerous situations.

Its odd that there is a backlash of sorts to this. Maybe some pride was hurt by being thought of as a kook? I know I have been kooky many times over the years, if I get called on it... so be it.

I find the "don't worry I can handle it" additude a little odd. On super nukey gusty days at the sandbar most people up and leave and go elsewhere. If I see somebody rigging too big a kite at the gustest spot in the Gorge on that day, I am sorry but that is kooky.

The wind range at the sandbar is huge, it can easily jump up 15-20mph in a few minutes. If you were already overpowered to start with, now what?

One other thing to consider... its not easy to ride smaller kites and ride underpowered. It actually takes a lot more technique and ability to ride a kite upwind in these conditions then it does to plow your way out on a big kite.

The payoff can be huge though, when that gust hits and you are perfectly powered on a smaller kite, you will go way bigger than the bigger kites. You can also ride way faster, carve huge transitions, do loops and ride the swell better when you are moderately powered.

Learning to be efficient and ride kites in the middle of the wind range is an essential skill, and goes a long way toward being a safer kiter.

Maybe I need Wind Slither to come in here and rip me a new one on this, but its just the way I think. Very Happy

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostTue Jul 10, 07 10:12 am     Reply with quote

Yo Jack,
I'm not deciding what is the best kite for a particular person. But when someone is rigging a kite that is twice as big as similarly sized people on a very windy day... that person should be asked "are you sure".

If you seriously have issues with people asking you questions, inquiring about your ability, or you want to be completely left alone, then perhaps the sand bar isn't the best place to go kite. Its a newb magnet and thus, there needs to be the new police. Sorry your were "profiled" but you pulled the NSA equivalent of running through the metal detector with sweaty palms, darting eyes, and a turbin.

Why don't you ask that dude with the shattered ankle if he wishes someone would have stepped forward to ask him if he was alright, or inform him that what he was doing was not the safest thing in the world.

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jul 10, 07 10:18 am     Reply with quote

pkh i agree with you, my only thought is that is ok to let robkov express his frustration and that if you are going to "kook patrol" you need to do it without expectation of a response of any kind and if someone is annoyed or bothered by it let them be.

i think it is important for all to speak up when they see something they think might be wrong, but if robkov got frustrated after the 5th conversation it is perfectly understandable and it should be left at that.

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jul 10, 07 10:32 am     Reply with quote

hey monkeyboy (and i promise i will stop after this..) i think you should say something if you see something you think is out of line and if you said it to me i would apprecaite it, my only real point here is that if robkov heard it 5 times i can appreciate his frustration of feeling like he had to explain himself (right or wrong).

my other point is that if you do what you think is right you should be doing it without expectations. if and if someone gets frustrated by it, you shold be cool with it and let it go. not tell the person they should be thankful, as no thanks is deserved.

i admire those that go out of what might be their confort zone to warn others and do what they think is right, thanks for being vigilent

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostTue Jul 10, 07 11:15 am     Reply with quote

tell ya that folks in my area appreciate those that question anything that looks suspect.

those that rig and ride big, especially in conditions where extreme gusts are common, should prep for lots of questions and concerns from his/her fellow riders.

If they didnt care they wouldnt ask.. right?

too many new riders w/o a clue.. we've got some launches and hazards here that are downright deadly and it amazes me what i see some people doing.

never hurts to ask...

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostTue Jul 10, 07 11:42 am     Reply with quote

ok, so I think this one is sufficiently beat to death. No? (but then again, I thought that about the "great leash debate " )

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: