Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Manzo Weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSun Jul 08, 07 9:30 pm    Manzo Weekend Reply with quote

Fun weekend - nice waves on Sat (sorry no pics) - small waves but glorious day Sun.

IMG_2442.jpg 
   SRT.jpg 
   IMG_2428.jpg 
   IMG_2436.jpg 
   Nice day.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostSun Jul 08, 07 10:01 pm     Reply with quote

you guys suck! Wink

can you make it tmrw also or is it back to being responsible?

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostMon Jul 09, 07 4:24 am     Reply with quote

Saturday was lots of fun out there until I destroyed my ribs (again). The vicadin made transformers better though!

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 09, 07 5:17 am     Reply with quote

Tonski snapped a few pics on Saturday. Killer day at MANZO!! Cool

Bummer about the ribs PH...

D invert grab.JPG 
   busy on the inside.JPG 
   SQ sighting.JPG 
   charging.JPG 
   jas scoping the sets.JPG 
   SQ & Slither air transitions.JPG 
   tony blasting out.JPG 
   D air.JPG 
   Out the top.JPG 
   Go DUCKS!.JPG 
   Jas down the line.JPG 
   It was a blowin!.JPG 

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostMon Jul 09, 07 7:10 am     Reply with quote

Sweet picts looks like you guys had fun.

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostMon Jul 09, 07 7:23 am     Reply with quote

Ahhh.....Manzo....wind....sun...

-nice job! Cool

smokey

Since 24 May 2005
47 Posts
Portland, OR

PostMon Jul 09, 07 8:25 am    down the line Reply with quote

Great weekend at the coast. Surfing in the a.m. at short sands and kiting in the afternoon at Manzo! Very Happy
I am still trying to get the technique for going down the line in the onshore conditions. As soon as I head right down the line to try to hit the lip, the kite races forward in the window and I lose all power. Can any of the Manzo vets out there offer some pointers for keeping down the line speed?

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostMon Jul 09, 07 8:54 am     Reply with quote

Pretty tough to get back to the wave face in WNW at Manzo but three techniques work.

One (regular stance/down the line), drive the bottom turn way out in front of the wave (more than u think u should). This lets you return back to the wave w/enough speed to either make a move, or if the wave is walling up too fast, get smacked like a truck Twisted Evil - it is important that as you return to the wave face, start pulling hard back on the kite so it returns to the window. At Manzo, this will create a lot of power so be ready for the kite's power and the wave's. Your heel turn will typically not be at the top of the wave as it is breaking due to the wind direction but lower down and will drive you left up the beach.

Two (regular stance/down the line), same as One but search for waves outside that have more of a southerly direction (lately we've had SW/NW mixed sets so that helps) and this will help getting back to the wave face.

Three (regular or goofy), Go LEFT!! Many of the sandbars at Manzo offer great upwind lefts that can be skated on, aerialled, and fun spins and rotations off of. Gusty and strong winds can blow you right up on the beach or in dangerously shallow water - goes without saying.

Hope this helps - have fun!

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Jul 09, 07 10:13 am     Reply with quote

To keep speed going down the line you can either sine the kite left and right (right if you're doing bottom turn and left if you're smacking the lip). You should keep the kite moving one step ahead of the board. If you need to go downwind even faster downlooping the kite can help a lot too. When downlooping make sure the kite comes out the direction you want to head next. Finally, switching to a surf style board (if you're not riding one) can work wonders for keeping the speed going. Then you might actually be happy you lost power in the kite since you can do a nice surf style turn on the wave with just the board speed and power back up once the turn is completed and you start edging again.

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 09, 07 10:28 am     Reply with quote

Just sounds like you’re not turning the kite for your bottom turn. The onshoreness of manzo is grossly exaggerated, but you still typically need to turn kite toward the wave (or at least up) for bottom turn, and redirect back toward the beach before the top. Pretty typical wave technique, but not park and ride. If you aren’t on a surfboard then you would need to swing the kite lower and more powered. I have never experienced a condition there that was remotely “tough to get back to the wave face” after a bottom turn (regular foot) but everyone has a different opinion on that place. If you actually are turning the kite for bottom turn, but having the problem you mentioned, then probably underpowered, not flying kite low enough, not keeping up with the kite in the bottom turn (overflying), or have too small of a board. Try to watch some good wave kiting videos—educational, humbling, and motivating.

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 09, 07 10:29 am     Reply with quote

gene, get to the beach. you're already late.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Jul 09, 07 10:44 am     Reply with quote

gabe wrote:
gene, get to the beach. you're already late.

Man, I finally decide to take a day off and let my wounds heal and then the North coast promises another epic day. Just need to find someone for the downwinder and hope my body can survive day number 6.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Jul 09, 07 10:46 am     Reply with quote

Awesome! Cool

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Jul 09, 07 10:57 am    ! Reply with quote

genek wrote:
You should keep the kite moving one step ahead of the board

Good Advice! Surfboard makes all the difference down the line - seemed like the more aggressive you are with the kite the better (vs parking it and overriding it) - not easy to keep it all together at Mach 5 - awesome when you do.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostMon Jul 09, 07 6:58 pm     Reply with quote

Down loop on the bottom turn, down loop on the top turn.
It allows you a moment to time your carve off the bottom without spinning out. ...and then you get a big burst as you are heading back up.

The down turn right before you turn off the lip allows you time to carve off the lip with just the board speed and no kite pull.

Sometimes you can just keep it looping and time your turns between the down loops when the power fades.

Just my opinion and choice of style. And I ride lower aspect kites than most. But it might work for others?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: