Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: how to pack wingboard for flight to Maui & back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
313 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostFri Nov 04, 22 1:34 pm    OT: how to pack wingboard for flight to Maui & back Reply with quote

I've gotta regular zip padded bag, but that won't be enough padding. What's the suggested way to pack and pad a wingboard. Mine is 5'8" 85 liter. Thanks.

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostFri Nov 04, 22 3:46 pm     Reply with quote

If your bag is padded then you are good. Lay down one of your wings on the bottom with a towel and your soft clothes. Put your board on top of that. Lay your other wings flat on top of the board.

If your board is smushed against the sides tightly then cut some cardboard and wrap the sides of the board to protect the sides a little bit. You can do that cardboard wrap the tail and the nose too.

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Nov 05, 22 5:54 am     Reply with quote

Having had my well packed (with extra padding, cardboard) board damaged by this very flight I have now resorted to using 1/2 inch foam insulation board. I put on layer on the bottom of the board cut to the shape of the bag and then cut siding to match the depth of the bag. I put a piece of cardboard over the board then layer foils, impact vest and a wing or 2 on top of that. This has worked very well for my 5'4" board in my 5'8" bag. The foam board can get messy when cut so i covered the cut edges with foil tape.

The reason my board was damaged was due to tsa inspection. The board arrived not as i had originally packed it. The potential issue with using cardboard is that it can shift and even if taped the tsa can untape it. The foam board solution is more part of the bag and would be very difficult to become out of place.

This may all be overkill, but works well.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Nov 05, 22 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

^^^

Simple and clever. I'm going to do the same.

Obliged,
Eric

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSat Nov 05, 22 8:40 pm     Reply with quote

We have 1/2 and 1" thick 48"x72" sheets of 2lb density minicell foam we use under van floors which would be great for added protection. light and tough.

Stop by DIYvan on Osprey drive to check it out to see if you think it will work for your needs.

All the best,
Hein

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun Nov 06, 22 5:27 pm     Reply with quote

I know of 2 carbon boards getting puncture dings in padded bags. Mine was one of them, brand new, Grrrr. Alaska paid my claim, but I recommend padding the heck out of it! I watched the baggage handlers out the plane window... Shocked

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 07, 22 8:06 am     Reply with quote

jack wrote:
Having had my well packed (with extra padding, cardboard) board damaged by this very flight I have now resorted to using 1/2 inch foam insulation board. I put on layer on the bottom of the board cut to the shape of the bag and then cut siding to match the depth of the bag. I put a piece of cardboard over the board then layer foils, impact vest and a wing or 2 on top of that. This has worked very well for my 5'4" board in my 5'8" bag. The foam board can get messy when cut so i covered the cut edges with foil tape.

The reason my board was damaged was due to tsa inspection. The board arrived not as i had originally packed it. The potential issue with using cardboard is that it can shift and even if taped the tsa can untape it. The foam board solution is more part of the bag and would be very difficult to become out of place.

This may all be overkill, but works well.

this stuff?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/R-Tech-1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-1-93-Insulating-Sheathing-320810/202533656

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Nov 07, 22 8:39 am     Reply with quote

yes, but now that I look at the leftovers I think i used the 1"

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Nov 07, 22 1:54 pm     Reply with quote

The damage Barfly and I both got really looked like our boards were dropped or slammed down on like a sharp corner of something but there was no evidence on the bags. Padding with some kind of hard plastic layer would be good.

Also, if your board bag has pockets be careful about what you keep in them for travel. Like mounting hardware or tools.

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
313 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostFri Nov 18, 22 10:46 am    ugh Reply with quote

standby for full report - I packed very well - lots of padding...and still compliments of TSA; thumb size rail crushed-in. Hi Tech got me set up day of arrival with patch that held for entire 9 days. I don't know what to recommend, other-than try to accompany board if it's getting inspected, which is probably not do-able at PDX. It was on the way back, and I was inspected again, and was able to move padding all back into place.

Actually, I do think that packing the foil components in the board bag is what catches the attention for a full inspection. I'm going to pack those items separately, in a bag with my wings next time.

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostFri Nov 18, 22 1:27 pm     Reply with quote

Bummer, hope you had a good time regardless.

finnydip

Since 15 Aug 2010
26 Posts

PostFri Dec 23, 22 10:15 am     Reply with quote

Double padded bags, it's been my go to approach for a couple of years now. A bit heavier but no problems yet.

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostMon Dec 26, 22 3:24 pm     Reply with quote

Yep double bags for wing boards Thumb's Up
And yep insulation board Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

Use the 1" insulation board to pack the inside of the "inner bag" on top and bottom of wing board.
Then pack unbagged kites wings wetsuits around the inner bag for edge protection.

Final result looks huge but bombproof. Easily under 50# but Alaska doesnt' care if you go over wiith "sports equipment"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: