Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite storage tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
joekite

Since 21 Jul 2016
21 Posts
Portland, OR

PostThu Oct 20, 22 1:11 pm    Kite storage tips Reply with quote

Any tips for how best to store gear for the winter if you aren’t kiting again until June?

All the air out of the kites, wrap lines not too tight, hang up wetsuit on a hanger, leave it all in a nice dry closet? Maybe a nice air tight bin would be good for the kites?

Any tips anyone has for prolonging gear life during season or when stored would be greatly appreciated, always trying to get better at that. Did I hear you aren’t supposed to keep gear drying in the garage with cars because the dust or something is bad for it?

Thank you!

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 20, 22 2:55 pm     Reply with quote

Move south. Razz

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostThu Oct 20, 22 7:12 pm    gear storage Reply with quote

Hey Joe!

Great question! You may get some varied opinions on this topic but by far the best plan is to rinse them in spring water on a windless day with temps 62-72 degrees, air dry for at least 4 hours and then wrap in some Egyptian linen sheets at least 800 thread count and store in a cedar chest with a grain of SALT.

This will keep them warm and mouse free over those cold winter months while the rest of us will be using our kites to kite...

Come summer you will be all good to GO Thumb's Up

Mc

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Oct 21, 22 4:10 am     Reply with quote

No snowkiting? No southerly coastal sessions? Shocked

My kites generally stay in the skybox unless I need to stuff all the skis in there.
Do not leave wetsuits on hangers for extended or it can waste the shoulders.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Oct 21, 22 7:00 am    Re: Kite storage tips Reply with quote

joekite wrote:
Any tips for how best to store gear for the winter if you aren’t kiting again until June?

All the air out of the kites, wrap lines not too tight, hang up wetsuit on a hanger, leave it all in a nice dry closet? Maybe a nice air tight bin would be good for the kites?

Any tips anyone has for prolonging gear life during season or when stored would be greatly appreciated, always trying to get better at that. Did I hear you aren’t supposed to keep gear drying in the garage with cars because the dust or something is bad for it?

Thank you!

I think the same rules apply for daily use kite care, but with more emphasis on attention to detail when storing for extended periods.

1) No Moisture
2) No Salt
3) Rolls, not folds
4) Store in cool location

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostFri Oct 21, 22 1:00 pm     Reply with quote

What has been posted so far for kite storage is all correct.

Keep clean and dried kites in a cool and dry place with no tight folds.

But, another point that should be addressed even for short term storage is to leave inflation and deflation valves in the open position. This is important for dump valves so the female portion does not get stretched out. Also seals for inflation valves don't get permanently deformed when in the open position. Relax all manifold clips so the tube isn't pinched to reduce the chance of stress cracks.

I kite in a very sandy place with fine grains so I open all valves after deflating a kite, but then barely screw on the caps and barely insert deflation plugs to keep sand from migrating into the valve and bladder.

joekite

Since 21 Jul 2016
21 Posts
Portland, OR

PostSun Oct 23, 22 7:01 pm     Reply with quote

Thank you for the tips!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Oct 24, 22 7:19 am     Reply with quote

I know salt is bad for metal but what does it do to kites?

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Oct 24, 22 7:52 am     Reply with quote

Depends on what setting you use if you try and iron the wrinkles out.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Oct 24, 22 7:58 am     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
I know salt is bad for metal but what does it do to kites?

More about kitebars than kites.

Ropes/lines with action wear faster. Depower rope on kitebar really shows the affects of wear after just a few sessions. Pigtails also show more wear over time.

I will admit, I rinse my bar after a salt water session. I don't bother with my kite. Pigtails are cheap to replace and I don't kite enough in salt water to bother with it.

But then again, I also been known to leave my kites out in the heat and have had to replace valves. So, perhaps the old saying... Do as I say, not as I do applys Smile

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 24, 22 11:54 am     Reply with quote

When I kept kites in my car long term in Hawaii, and might be gone for many months at a time, I always ensured my kites got a good soaking in the ocean--and I never rinsed them. Sometimes I had no choice but to leave a kite not completely dry. If it had been pre-soaked in the ocean at some point then there would be no issues when I got back. If the kite had the pre-salting rinsed off in a rain shower, and ANY moisture was left on the kite, then the kite would have mildew wherever it had been moist.

If at all possible, absolutely required if you are a fresh water kiter, dry your kites off COMPLETELY before winter storage. As in leave them unrolled inside with a fan on them for at least a day. BONE dry. Then fold them loosely with all valves open.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: