Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Newbie ?? - I'm seeking a BOW kite - is 4 or 5 lines best?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
hiker1

Since 01 Jul 2007
124 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostFri Jul 06, 07 4:35 pm    Newbie ?? - I'm seeking a BOW kite - is 4 or 5 lines best? Reply with quote

Y'all convinced me when it comes to learning on older "C" kites to STOP! My beginner kiter brain got it...thought I could do it cheap on old stuff, but I have a better chance of getting my ass kicked riding old stuff vs newer Bow kites.

Yet even as I was riding swell on a rockin 4.0 (boardhead) dawn patrol at The Hatch this a.m. --- I was pondering do I need a 5 line BOW kite or can I do it on a 4 line Bow? Question I was told if I buy a Bow kite, there is no need for a fith line???

So I'm stoked to take a lesson (or two). Very Happy

Thanks!!!

Last edited by hiker1 on Fri Jul 06, 07 8:00 pm; edited 4 times in total

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Jul 06, 07 5:10 pm     Reply with quote

4 lines is really all you need, especially if you're going with a Waroo. If you were thinking of a Link (which even though I love SS probably wouldn't get), then for sure, the 5 line is a lot more stable. How soon do you want to get your kite? SS is working on new stuff as I'm sure you've heard!

Also, what wind range are you looking to be riding in the most for now? 20-30? I'm ~145 and am on my '07 Fuel 13 the most (anytime it's ~25 or less), except for those nuclear days.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri Jul 06, 07 7:24 pm     Reply with quote

Is that English your speaking? You CAN learn on old gear and get your ass kicked at the same time. There was a time in the not so distant past when the kites didn't depower much at all.

So yeah, get a 4th line waroo because they don't make one with a 5th line. I'm not sure any bow kite has a 5th line really. Do they?

Seems like you may need a little more time on the water/lessons/ or overall knowledge before you drop all that cash. You'll be happier in the end.

jonah

Since 20 Jul 2006
169 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostSat Jul 07, 07 3:30 pm     Reply with quote

The North Rebel comes to mind as a bow with a 5th line. It's a good kite too, although I dislike that there's a lot more bar pressure than say a Waroo or Naish Boxer SLE. People like the 5th line though since if it starts to nuke on the water, you can just yank that and the kite is stable in 40-50+.

If I were learning now, I'd go with a Waroo or North Rebel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: