Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Any Phantasm 657/767 riders out there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 02, 22 9:25 am    Any Phantasm 657/767 riders out there? Reply with quote

I weigh 185 and am riding a 684. I've tried the 730 high aspect wing and like it, but it was too pitch sensitive for me on the short fuse; I'm waiting on a longer Stringy fuse before I try it again. I'm just wondering what the change would be from my 684 to one of the 657/767 wings, and if I need the 767 for weight? I'm actually pretty happy with my 684, but the thought of even more responsiveness is intriguing.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 02, 22 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Nak,

Something to consider if you have not tried this is to play with smaller stabilizers, before you go to smaller front wings. Stabs can really liven up a ride without the instability issues of some of the smaller fronts.

Eric

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Sep 04, 22 7:39 pm     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
Hi Nak,

Something to consider if you have not tried this is to play with smaller stabilizers, before you go to smaller front wings. Stabs can really liven up a ride without the instability issues of some of the smaller fronts.

Eric

Great idea, thanks Eric!

I will give that a go tomorrow; I have a Phantasm 325 I can try.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 04, 22 8:00 pm     Reply with quote

For what it’s worth that’s my current favorite. I’ve tried:
Moses 483
Moses 450
Moses 425 (older style)
Moses 421
SS 400
Blunt 11”
SS 325

For me the 325 is the “you get your cake and eat it too” stabilizer. Tighter radius turn but without the loose skateboard truck feel that is not my gig. Regardless, the stab choice makes a very pronounced difference in your ride. You will lose some pitch stability with a smaller stab but I think you’ll find after 10 min you will be completely adjusted to it.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 06, 22 2:35 pm     Reply with quote

eric wrote:

For me the 325 is the “you get your cake and eat it too” stabilizer. Tighter radius turn but without the loose skateboard truck feel that is not my gig. Regardless, the stab choice makes a very pronounced difference in your ride. You will lose some pitch stability with a smaller stab but I think you’ll find after 10 min you will be completely adjusted to it.

I tried the 325 stab and the short fuse with my 684 front wing; I was surprised how far back I had to move on the board. I did have just a bit of pitch instability like you mention. I came in and moved the mast forward 1" and added a +1 degree shim to the stab. The +1 degree really added a lot of pitch stability along with adding some "carviness"--for lack of a better word--to the setup. Really nice! Not only was the turn radius tighter, it was smoother as well. Plus long carving turns felt smoother as well. Linked turns were faster as I could snap the board from one side to the other faster.

Overall I have to agree with you Eric; the 325 is my new favorite stab--at least with the 684 front wing. I may try it with a +1.5 degree shim just to see how well that works too.

For those unfamiliar with stab shimming, adding a positive shim means you are pointing the stab more down which drives the nose up. This has the effect of increasing pitch stability and moving you forward on the board to compensate for the increased up force from the front wing. It also decrease the top speed of the set up because the wing will produce more lift as speed increases.

I still would like to demo the 657 and the 767 here one of these days.

jblum

Since 13 Jul 2008
305 Posts
The Gorge
Obsessed

PostSat Sep 10, 22 11:01 am    Which 325? Reply with quote

Great thread going here.

Which 325 are you guys talking about? There is a SS and a SABFoil one? Or are these the same with different branding?

Cheers-

JHB

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSat Sep 10, 22 12:35 pm     Reply with quote

Love my Phantasm 657. I’d let you demo it but I’m gone for the next two weeks. Not quite as light as Moses gear but stiffer I think. Did you see the sweet deal in the Classifieds for $1100?

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Sep 10, 22 4:21 pm     Reply with quote

^^^

SS Phantasm 325 is my current favorite

Eric

phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostMon Oct 24, 22 10:29 pm    Re: Any Phantasm 657/767 riders out there? Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
I weigh 185 and am riding a 684. I've tried the 730 high aspect wing and like it, but it was too pitch sensitive for me on the short fuse; I'm waiting on a longer Stringy fuse before I try it again. I'm just wondering what the change would be from my 684 to one of the 657/767 wings, and if I need the 767 for weight? I'm actually pretty happy with my 684, but the thought of even more responsiveness is intriguing.

For the 38 mph plus days without going smaller than a 4M kite, would the 657 be more forgiving than the 684, less lift with a 657? Or a smaller stab, 325 rather than the 400 to reduce lift ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: