Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rebel, Boxer or Waroo???

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 06, 07 11:24 am    Rebel, Boxer or Waroo??? Reply with quote

Alright, I really hate to post something like this Rolling Eyes (sorry pkh) but I just wanted to get some opinions on which kite would be better for a newer kiter! I have been learning on some Liquid Force 4 line C kites, and am looking to upgrade to some newer SLE or bow kites. Since the '08 stuff is starting to trickle in, I have been seeing some great deals for '07 gear. From all the research I have done, it looks like they are all pretty similar (wind range, depower, etc.). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

NO gear/brand wars intended! Very Happy

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostFri Jul 06, 07 11:34 am     Reply with quote

Before the topic gets locked Smile

I really like the '07 waroo, it is inexpensive, flies great, and is a good all around kite. The one thing is that it takes a bit of finesse to relaunch.

The Boxer flies very similar to the waroo, but is esaier to relaunch. It is also a bit more expensive. I have heard that the new '08 technology on the Naish kites is really slick, so if I was going to shell out money for Naish, I would wait for the '08 stuff.

Haven't flown the north kite so I can't comment.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri Jul 06, 07 11:38 am     Reply with quote

oh, and there is something wrong with my Crossbows? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

But to answer your question, they are pretty similar although they each have their individual feel to them. Everyone always wants to get the best bang for the buck and you can drive yourself crazy trying to read reviews and decide which kite is best for you. The bottom line though? As a beginner you will be hard pressed to identify a big difference between any of those kites.

You will be stoked on any 06-07 kite you purchase (unless its a liquid force assault) LOL ((Sorry Phill, just had to get my digs in, that kite blows))

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 06, 07 11:38 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Kodiak!

As I said initially, I wasnt trying to start a gear war by any means! I just wanted to know if there was any technical difference that would make one a better choice for learning the basics.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri Jul 06, 07 11:39 am     Reply with quote

People love the waroos for sure. I would steer towards the 07's though, quite a bit more durable. If your in Bevertron, you might as well come out to sauvie and ask some people if you could take their kite for a spin. (if your a competent beginner that is)

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 06, 07 11:44 am     Reply with quote

Seeing as kiteboarding is relatively new, its amazing just how fast kites change design! One season you think you have the best kite out there and the next season the designs change (usually for the better).

...man, its hard to write anything without saying "best!" Laughing

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 06, 07 11:46 am     Reply with quote

I am still pretty new! Went out to HR this morning for a private water lesson from BigWinds, and it was nukin'!! Needless to say the lesson was postponed until next week. Crying or Very sad

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostFri Jul 06, 07 12:10 pm     Reply with quote

Demo them and see which ones you like. Call the different shops or if your taking lessons tell them you want to try different kites to see which one you like the best.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Jul 06, 07 12:16 pm     Reply with quote

Yes please demo... if you get lessons on one of them and you like it, buy! Another idea, if you see someone flying one on the beach go ask them about it.

I have tried 2 out of the 3 and talked to people who have ridden all 3 and consensus is they are all great kites. Other brands have great kites too... its really tough to go wrong this year.

Funny avatar dude! Very Happy

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: