Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

crossbow.. lets hear a report
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Aug 08, 05 4:47 pm    crossbow.. lets hear a report Reply with quote

I would love to hear a report on the crossbow. I am looking at the Large (16)
How is power? range? relaunch? jumping? overall quality?
thanks in advance
Mark

www.naishkites.com

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostMon Aug 08, 05 5:23 pm     Reply with quote

Where are you in Beaverton Mark? I'm at Baseline and 205th. I should get my 12M bow sometime this week. You can give it a try at Sauvies if you like.

littlegus

Since 08 Jul 2005
29 Posts
La Jungla

PostMon Aug 08, 05 5:43 pm     Reply with quote

I have a 9 and the range is great. You could probably be out on a 9 a little under powered and still move when other are on 12's.

On the other hand, you can be out on a 9 when other are out on 6's and feel in control. This kite is great for going up wind. I haven't tried any bigs jumps with it, but someone told me they got their biggest air ever with this kite.

I would say the quality is typical of cabrinha, can't complain.

This is by far the best kite I've ever tried.

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 08, 05 6:18 pm     Reply with quote

What can I say? I'm in heaven with my 9 meter 'bow. For lighter riders like myself, it allows me to stay on the water longer when I would normally be terrified when the wind cranked up.

With my first try on the 9m this weekend in the Gorge, I rode at Wells Island and transfered the kite to Dano back and forth several times in high wind no problem. He's 200 lbs and was powered well and I could handle the 25-30+ wind no problem - talk about range - we are normally two quiver sizes apart.

I was able to do smooth transitions due to the easy depower and fine tune the power on the fly when needed. This is a big improvement for me compared to the SS bar. Toeside riding was easy, too, with the stability of the kite through the gusts. I did have some problems with landing jumps and will need to get the timing of the "glide" down in order to land more smoothly.

Most of all, I'm excited to travel with only one kite! See ya out there. Very Happy

PS - Mega thanks to Bettyboarder for jet ski support. What a fun day between rescuing a "leaf ant" with broken mast to having Bettyboarder's new pink Best board rescued by a windsurfer. Kite karma goes a long way.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostMon Aug 08, 05 6:32 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the reports!
KiteKarl, I live Murray and scholls. Thats a great offer to let someone test ride your brand new kite! I'm not sure that I can do that. Well, maybe I can Very Happy
But, I am looking for info.
I have a 9,12,16 kite quiver right now. I am happy but need a bigger kite for sauvies. Instead of buying a 18 or 20 I think I will get a 'bow 16. That should go as large as a 18-20 and still handle it down to 12 range..... right? Ps I weigh around 210.

If the Bow works great then I would sell my other kites and get a 9 bow.

Do you guys think a 12 bow would have enough range to be my only kite?
Tons of thinking out loud!!
thanks again

www.naishkites.com

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 08, 05 6:34 pm     Reply with quote

Mark, getting a 16 'bow sounds awesome, but I heard they only made one in the whole country so far. Shocked

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostMon Aug 08, 05 7:40 pm     Reply with quote

Mark, If you want I'm selling my 21M Nemesis with bar lines and 5th line setup for $400, all in good condition. Good Sauvies kite, I'm just too lazy to pump it up most days and I'm moving down to the Bay area in Oct so I won't need it. I'll letchya demo it at Sauvies too. K

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostMon Aug 08, 05 8:32 pm     Reply with quote

I'm gonna go with the 12 as my only kite and get a skim or surfboard for the light days. Mark, at 210 the 21 Nemi and the 12 should have you covered. I'm gonna be 1/2 hour from Sherman Island, 20 knots every spring and summer day! Very Happy

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 09, 05 12:09 pm     Reply with quote

heya,

so, i am thinking about the crossbow, and will be loking for your collective reviews as they come it: does it have the range advertised?; the depower? how about that double pulley thing, does it look like it will last for longer than a week or two? saw a fellow at the SB on saturday with one (tony?) looked like he was having a lot of fun.

my question is: where are you guys buying you cbs? what are the costs with the propietary bar and lines?
thanks

jimbo

we stand on the shoulders of those who have come before us.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostWed Aug 10, 05 6:51 am     Reply with quote

Saw a crossbow at the 'bar yesterday. Very gusty. Seemed to handle it quite well. I couldnt see what size it was. If anyone knows lets hear it....

www.naishkites.com

brokenlizard

Since 03 Aug 2005
88 Posts
Running around the pool with scissors.

PostSun Aug 14, 05 9:18 pm     Reply with quote

I've been looking at the crossbows also. Can anyone comment on the range of these kites. Looking at the kite review section of Kite-surf.com it gives the range of the 12m as being 12 to 27 mph. This covers the range of my entire quiver, which consists of three kites. I originally discounted the Crossbow because of the price, but if the range is truly that good I'm definitely on board. I'm specifically intersted in the low end.

KiteKarl. Are you the same Karl I met at Sauvies on Friday? And did you get your crossbow yet? How does the low end compare to your bigger kites?

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostSun Aug 14, 05 10:39 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, that's me. Didn't get my bow yet. Still buggin ASI. I'll post a review when I get it.

tkiter

Since 01 Aug 2005
16 Posts
gorge

PostMon Aug 15, 05 6:14 pm     Reply with quote

I have both the 12m and 9m bow. I am new to kiting this year. Own a 9m and 13m Diesel. I have ridden the 9m bow at the sandbar 3 or 4 times since I got it. In high winds the kite works great. Tons of depower. Others were on 6m and I felt extremely comfortable with the 9. Never had to pull the depower strap, just let the bar out till the gust passes then pull back in. I would not have went out with my 9m diesel in those conditions. Launching and landing the kite is much easier/safer. On days when the wind was on the low side for a 9m it has heavier bar pressure when you have to work the kite alot. My 9m diesel in those conditions would be easier on the forearms due to less bar pressure. I should have pumped up the 12m bow. I have relaunched the kite a few times and it relaunched pretty easy by pulling on one of the rear lines. It was easier with my board on my feet adding some resistance. Set-up takes longer than my diesel only due to the lack of one pump. The bridles stay attached to the kite so all you have to do is attach the lines. Make sure the one bridle line that attaches by a larks head to the kite is secure. I saw one come undone in flight but I think it was due to not being tight initially (the kite still flew OK). Overall, I love the kite. It is a blast to fly and is very safe. The only thing I dont like is the bar pressure at the bottom of the kites range (I will fly the 12m next time). Construction seems solid. I am kiting this week and will try the 12m. Hope this helps

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostTue Aug 16, 05 7:22 am     Reply with quote

Anyone with experience on a 16 crossbow?

www.naishkites.com

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
314 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostTue Aug 16, 05 12:37 pm    crossbow Reply with quote

You CrossBoandLukeDukeBoy's are flirtin' with disaster. If you'da' just asked Uncle Jesse, he woulda' told you the truth about them hightech gadgets...they're all about sales. You need to find yourself a General Lee style kite; with lots of muscle and not much b.s.

lawnmowerman

Since 19 Mar 2005
12 Posts
Gorge USA

PostWed Aug 17, 05 10:41 am    crossbow Reply with quote

Hi. I demo'd the 9m Bow 2 weeks ago in HR in 15-35 wind. best time ever kiting! jumps and hang time unbelievable. I actually jumped over the Hood River Bridge landed at an outdoor restaurant in Bingen just as my food arrived at the table. Is this sport fun or what??

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostSun Aug 21, 05 11:39 am     Reply with quote

Anyone own or try a 16 crossbow? I wonder if it will have "flip over" leading edge issues?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: