Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

How do you help a guy like this?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
harriet

Since 10 Jun 2007
64 Posts

PostWed Jul 04, 07 11:30 pm    How do you help a guy like this? Reply with quote

So after kiting mostly alone up here in Coeur d'Alene, I finally made it down to HR this past weekend and had a blast. The crowds down at the sandbar were insane, I never imagined such chaos. I was so overwhelmed by the crowds, I was riding for over 1/2 hour before I even noticed the view of Mt Hood. Hilarious. Nice to demo some Naish kites and see some ripping by the locals, pro's, etc. Met some really cool people and can't wait to hit it again.

Anyway, obviously there's alot of beginners around, and while I was getting ready to leave one afternoon one came up to me and asked for a launch. Then he mentioned something about where exactly he should stand, and in my head red flag #1 went up. So not to seem patronising, I started asking a little more before I just launch his 9m kite, and see that he doesen't have a leash. Flag #2. He diddn't have one handy, then asked if it was really that important. #3. At this point I'm nervous about helping him, and as I warn against him launching with his skills (i'm assuming I'm dealing with a complete kook at this point), he insists that it's fine.

Seeing that he was going to do whatever, I threw out a couple of other thoughts, such as what could happen to people downwind on the beach, in the water, and to be prepared to say goodbye to his kite. Now it's clear that he is hell bent on flying his kite, regardless. After making sure nobody was immidiately downwind I launched him. He proceeded to do stupid things, and I felt like a criminal for launching him.

What do you do here, walk away? tell him more lessons are needed? bitchslap him?, maybe myself too?

Just wondering how you guys deal, how I'll deal next time.

Scott

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Jul 04, 07 11:38 pm     Reply with quote

Is this the guy who was in the shallow water in the middle of all the action doing what I call "ass dragging"

I can't say he was body dragging because the water was too shallow - instead it was sitting on his ass and dragging his ass through the water with his kite. It looked rather funny Laughing but it was obvious he had no idea what to do.

As for launching a guy without a leash Shocked ah shit man - thats rough. I have seen people just say - look man, I don't feel comfortable launching you. A leash is necessary and then walk away. The guy will go around and eventually get a launch, but its pretty freaky to know that person is out there endangering him/herself and everyone else around.

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 05, 07 1:42 am    Accessary to the crime Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you do here, walk away? tell him more lessons are needed? bitchslap him?, maybe myself too?

First, politely ask if they have had a lesson? Do you need more?

If they are planning to kite and have no clue, dont launch them, get very adamant about how they will be endangering everyone else, and also mention, that you would prefer they don't end up in the hospital.

Do the right thing, not the nice thing. Be RESPONSIBLE. IT MAY NOT BE NICE, but the consequences in this sport can be DEATH.

Can you live with that. Shocked

People need to respect the kite and this person had no clue to the power of the kite = hospital trip

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostThu Jul 05, 07 5:45 am     Reply with quote

Did you have a knife on you? That seems like a good time to cut someones lines.

Ok, I probably wouldn't do that if it happened to me, but I should Smile I would probably try and talk him out of kiting. If that didn't work I would try and shame him out of kiting, then I would walk away and tell everyone I knew to stay away from the guy. Finally, I would take the guys picture so I could post it online, so everyone on this forum could stay clear of him.

Oh, and I would pcik up my cell phone if someone else did give him a launch, and dial 9-1, and be ready to hit the other 1.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostThu Jul 05, 07 6:15 am     Reply with quote

just make sure you help him connect his board leash after you launch him, that way he doesn't have to do it himself Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 05, 07 6:20 am     Reply with quote

cda,

man, great post! thanks for your thoughts regarding the kiter on the spit. we appreciate you taking care of our launches-it should be our first concern when travelling.

i wouldnt slap him, but i might dog him until he saw things my way, maybe even "loan" him a leash-not that i'd ever see it again, likely. i carry a spare.

we have an obligation that goes beyond cool.

props again for your concern.

jimmi
"even animals do not she!t where they sleep."

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostThu Jul 05, 07 6:31 am     Reply with quote

It sounds like this guy was going to try to launch his kite no matter what you told him.......
So you go to his kite pick it up and "accidently" pull the nipple from his dump valve......."Oh, I am sorry dude, the valve must not have been put in right or something".
Next, you "accidently" walk through his lines making a total rat's nest of them and he can't get on the water.
A guy like this is deffinately a hazard. Do what you need to do in order to keep him and others safe.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Jul 05, 07 7:25 am     Reply with quote

The guy butt dragging around in the shallows was very funny to watch. He later shredded his kite. I guess the gods are looking out for the rest of us.

www.naishkites.com

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostThu Jul 05, 07 7:31 am     Reply with quote

Was it a new kite? If so, guess it pays to take lessons to learn how not to destroy your gear!

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Jul 05, 07 7:40 am     Reply with quote

06 naish torch 2. Shame to kill such a great kite.

www.naishkites.com

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jul 05, 07 8:52 am     Reply with quote

It is a problem for sure but I think I may have stumbled upon a method to unsure everyone else's continued safety since these kinds of people are ongoing hazards.

After you have determined he is a kook, show him how to properly sheet in his kite all the way, loosening his trim strap all the way is also a good idea. Then, connect his board leash and prepare to launch his kite. When there is nobody behind you, stand directly downwind of him and hot launch that bitch straight into the E.R. At that point, it is important for you to get out on the water ASAP as you don't want to get stuck carrying him to the parking lot.

Embarassed

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostThu Jul 05, 07 9:01 am     Reply with quote

Shocked OK this shit had me laughing!! And if the guy asks why is no one else launching directly down wind - tell him, its much easier to get your kite up - its what all the newbies are doing Laughing

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
It is a problem for sure but I think I may have stumbled upon a method to unsure everyone else's continued safety since these kinds of people are ongoing hazards.

After you have determined he is a kook, show him how to properly sheet in his kite all the way, loosening his trim strap all the way is also a good idea. Then, connect his board leash and prepare to launch his kite. When there is nobody behind you, stand directly downwind of him and hot launch that bitch straight into the E.R. At that point, it is important for you to get out on the water ASAP as you don't want to get stuck carrying him to the parking lot.

Embarassed

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Jul 05, 07 9:07 am     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
The guy butt dragging around in the shallows was very funny to watch. He later shredded his kite. I guess the gods are looking out for the rest of us.

haha, I love it! Laughing

On a sidenote, JP and I hot launched this dude back in '01 at Sauvie's. The guy said here, launch the kite (we'd seen it done, but never actually done it), so we were like, okay. Threw it up decently hot, and while he's getting drug upsidedown backwards down the beach, he's yelling, "God dammit... SHIIIIIIIIIIIT!" He gave us mean looks for the rest of the day!

harriet

Since 10 Jun 2007
64 Posts

PostThu Jul 05, 07 9:49 am     Reply with quote

Great responses, had me knee slappin'.
Even though I'm a self taught kook from N. Idaho, my gut was saying deny him, but I just wasn't sure how to deal.
A local I met had cut his lines off his bar (old rats nest type thing) and we were joking that it would be fun to carry them with you, just for such an occasion. After trying to encourage safety, and adamantly discouraging recklessness, you walk up to his kite, pretend to slash lines, throw them down in disgust and walk away.
Maybe the shock would give that moment of pause.
Sometimes no help is the best help you can offer. Thanks for the resposes.
Scott

hiker1

Since 01 Jul 2007
124 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Jul 05, 07 12:51 pm    This confuses my beginner mind! Reply with quote

Quote:
#1 went up. So not to seem patronising, I started asking a little more before I just launch his 9m kite, and see that he doesnt have a leash.

Greetings-

OK, I promise you I was NOT this dude. I'm just learning body dragging and getting way too much sensible advice at this forum already... Very Happy

Cdakiter, you mentioned that "he did not have a leash." I asked as a beginner a few days ago - should I wear a leash? --- and almost everyone said a big NO!

see this thread:

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-5203.html

Appreciate your post; I'm just trying to make sure no one writes a similar post about me when I'm dragging my ass around the sandbar! Razz

Now, should I wear a leash...a retractable leash...No...YES....?????

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostThu Jul 05, 07 12:55 pm     Reply with quote

Hiker, just to clarify -

People are talking about two different kinds of leashes. A kite leash is necessary. It prevents your kite from flying away and possibly hurting someone if your kite comes lose from your harness. USE IT!! Its necessary.

As far as a board leash goes - pretty much every one is in agreement - don't use it. It poses too much risk.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Jul 05, 07 5:21 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Adam,

That dude you launched back in 01 at Sauvie... was ME! Yeah, definitely was giving you two the sour look for quite sometime. If you remember you two guys were messing around with a kite, so I made the assumption you knew what you were doing. More like super hot almost dead down wind with the lines slack kite huck is how I remember it. Got yarded right over a family into the water! Lucky is as lucky does.

You guys taught me a great lesson that day... NEVER assume! Still get a chuckle out of that launch to this day!

Bam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: