Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Gorge Ridin' - Done the sandbar now where?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
harleyboy

Since 13 Jun 2007
41 Posts

PostWed Jul 04, 07 5:22 pm    Gorge Ridin' - Done the sandbar now where? Reply with quote

came down from cold Canada to ride the gorge on the weekend. Good times. Stuck around the sandbar. Busy place. Dodging people was fun...good practice for me as I am relatively new.

So where is the next place along the gorge to try? I need a place where my wife can enjoy the scenery, have a nice spot to sit and read, go for a run etc. She isn't having anything to do with this kiting thing. Very Happy

Of course, I don't want any dodgy launches.

What would this group suggest as a next stop?

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 04, 07 7:57 pm     Reply with quote

if you head east, you get stronger wind, but WAY less scenic... dry, arid, and usually WINDY.

Stevenson is beautiful, and they've really done a lot to freshen up the town. The launch isn't bad, and you get to roll up your kite on grass.

However, if you came all the way down from Canada, you really should hit the coast. There's scenery for your wife, she can run down the beach, and you can kite until your arms fall off... plenty of sites all over... just depends on how far you feel like driving.

harleyboy

Since 13 Jun 2007
41 Posts

PostWed Jul 04, 07 9:24 pm     Reply with quote

aren't you supposed to be out watching those fireworks!!!?? Cool Better wear some shades or you will get welders flash.

Would love to hit the coast but given my level I don't think I am ready for that just yet. But that is why I got into this sport. I love the directional board/wave riding aspect of it.

At what point do people usually move to wave riding? Is there some base set of skills I need before even attempting it?

We have the equivalent up in Tofino. Well it isn't as long as the Oregon coast but still super nice.

So ya...looking forward to hitting your coast. It is a beautiful place.

Mark

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 05, 07 5:14 am     Reply with quote

you can ride your twin tip.
go to sunset beach (look under spots on this forum). drive up the beach north, launch, have your wife hang out for a while, and then drive down south to pick you up.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 05, 07 9:16 am     Reply with quote

The coast is great, definitely do that! Also, on the way to the coast check out Jones Beach. Very beautiful scenery, great launch, very un-crowded!

Nak

Jax

Since 04 Jun 2007
14 Posts
Portland, OR

PostThu Jul 05, 07 10:26 am     Reply with quote

being a newbee myself, i've got to say that Jones is the place to go!

went out there tuesday night and camped, rode on a 7m till sundown...wednesday rode all day on my 9m...no crowds, did some downwinders and even got to practice transitions...definately go to Jones big beach, no crowds!

alleycat

Since 29 Jun 2006
176 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostFri Jul 06, 07 3:31 am     Reply with quote

Hey fellow Canadians

Go to Sauvie's Island today (July 06) the wind will be great, I will bring the Q, two-four on ice and a mickie of rye. Oh yeah, we will get in some great kiting also.

Hope to see you there.

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 06, 07 7:10 am    Coast is for beginners Reply with quote

When I started, the gorge and all the people and the small access, scared the shit out of me.

So back to the coast, steadier wind, fewer people, long sandy beaches to land at. Did a lot of walking up the beach, but the peacefulness of not worring to be around other kites was great.

North coast typically has smaller surf than south coast. And summer surf is typically not that big, there will be times when there is more swell in the gorge then on the coast.

The only thing I would prepare for is the loading and unloading of your kite when you are dragging through white water, resistance - no resistance, this can cause the kite to depower, fall, and power up, or worse just hit the water.

Go get it.

harleyboy

Since 13 Jun 2007
41 Posts

PostSun Jul 08, 07 3:54 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for all the replie to this guys. Very helpful. I am going to hit all of these locations eventually!

Thanks again

Mark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: