Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Need Help With Consistancy/body position when jumping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostWed Jul 04, 07 10:38 am    Need Help With Consistancy/body position when jumping Reply with quote

Help! When I jump they are either small little jumps or big lofty jumps and dont really have any consistancy. I focused on getting the kite over head, loading up (sometimes with a swell ramp sometimes without) and carving the board up wind. My problem is that once I get in the air I feel really out of ballance and just tend to dangle and cant seem to get in a comfortable position in order to do a grab or even bring my knees up?

What am I doing wrong? Am I carving up wind too much, throwing my body forward (i.e. into the Dangle mode).

It seems easer for me to throw a single or double back roll then jump and do a board grab or pull my knees up......Please help me dial in my technique. Thanks for your help in advance.

hedquista

Since 13 Apr 2007
72 Posts
Salt lake city

PostWed Jul 04, 07 10:48 pm    no spinning Reply with quote

For me it is always easier to jump with a spin in there some where because you can ajust in the air to land correctly. but as far a jsut a big air jump with no spins... edge super hard as you loft but keep your shoulders square to the wind direction. right before you are going to land dip the kite in the direction of desired travel. i notice that i am all off kilter when i try to ramp off the water too hard sending me into a slight un intentional rotaion. so go easy on the ramping. all in all, i think it is jsut time on the water and keep trying. the more time you spend in the air the better you are going to get. I am no pro but i am trying to get better each time i go out. I may be all wrong in my statments who knows.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostThu Jul 05, 07 6:39 am     Reply with quote

I am no expert in jumping by any means..but what I have found if the kite is in the proper position, your jump should not feel out of balance.
A lot has to do with bring the kite forward and down back to riding position after you have jumped and reached your peak.

Most likely you are sending the kite to far back during your jump, which causes you to swing around. What I did to improve my jumps, is practic changing your starting and ending position of the kite.

Ex. Start with kite at 10 o'clock, then throw to 11 o'clock, then continue back in 15 min increments until you get to 1 o'clock. You will start to see where you get the most lift, and less body swing. Then try different starting positions, start at 10, then 10:15 etc and end at that idea ending point above.

Trevor--

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 05, 07 9:22 am     Reply with quote

according to the posts lately, you should put pink speedos on, attach your board leash to them (or just put it up your but) and jump closer to shore where the crowds are.... also, make sure your dog is running around on the beach so with each jump you do at the shore, he can bite them on their butts...

there should also be some *old school* metal playing somewhere, or at least someone singing a metal tune on the beach... Queen, Asia or Europe... and with that, you should probably have longer hair... or maybe a mullet!

Laughing

wait... did i get that right?

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostThu Jul 05, 07 9:28 am     Reply with quote

that about sums it up..execpt you forgot,

everyone else sucks,
stay out of the "pro pool" or you'll be kicked out
only raley to blinds are cool, all other raleys are weak unless the raley is harder than a raley to blind
everyone is now gay, or soon will be after they post anything on the forum that someone else doesn't like.
And finally teaching should be done somewhere else other than where people want to ride.

Laughing

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Jul 05, 07 9:29 am     Reply with quote

trevorsmith wrote:
that about sums it up..execpt you forgot,

everyone else sucks,
stay out of the "pro pool" or you'll be kicked out
only raley to blinds are cool, all other raleys are weak unless the raley is harder than a raley to blind
everyone is now gay, or soon will be after they post anything on the forum that someone else doesn't like.
And finally teaching should be done somewhere else other than where people want to ride.

Laughing

Thats the Gayest thing I have seen yet Laughing

www.naishkites.com

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostThu Jul 05, 07 9:32 am     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Thats the Gayest thing I have seen yet Laughing

See now...there you go again..being all gay...agian.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Jul 05, 07 9:34 am     Reply with quote

Holy fuck! Everyone, if you work, take the rest of the day off and go kite somewhere... anywhere! We're all going nutso

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jul 05, 07 9:39 am     Reply with quote

I'd say you guys weren't getting enough water time but I know better than that, so maybe its TOO MUCH water time and Columbia up your nose that's the problem.

JP - Just keep sending those jumps, like Trevor says make sure not to over send it... but in general practice makes perfect.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jul 05, 07 9:40 am     Reply with quote

I couldn't help it cause I had to go REALLY bad...

I took a dook in the pro pool. Embarassed

So F16 on that! beotch.
OMG I really do need to get out of the office!!!

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostThu Jul 05, 07 10:08 am     Reply with quote

Anytime I have a bad jump, its either I sent the kite too far back, or did not bring it back towards riding position.

When you bring the kite back into riding position, it keeps you from the weightlessness feeling, and where you start to lean back a bunch, which then throws off your landing.

But when you do throw the kite back down, make sure your board is in the direction of the kite, cause you'll land a bit hotter than normal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: