Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wing Foil boards - Starting out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 20, 22 6:33 am    Wing Foil boards - Starting out Reply with quote

I'd like to get some opinions on boards for a beginner wing foiler. I'm using an inflatable 135L and it seems unstable but I have no experience with anything else. Thanks

TommyK

Since 18 May 2015
47 Posts

PostWed Jul 20, 22 6:46 am     Reply with quote

Don't waste time trying to get back to the beach where you started

Pump the hand wing and point a bit off the wind....
She will stabilize and soon you will get to the next phase where the vessel will feel "stuck" on the water !

Enjoy the journey !

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 21, 22 1:01 pm     Reply with quote

A 135L inflatable should be plenty for learning, and if it's not at the moment, it will become so with more time on the water.

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 21, 22 1:07 pm    Re: Wing Foil boards - Starting out Reply with quote

kwalshpc wrote:
I'd like to get some opinions on boards for a beginner wing foiler. I'm using an inflatable 135L and it seems unstable but I have no experience with anything else. Thanks

How much do you weigh?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 21, 22 6:52 pm     Reply with quote

If you are 200 pounds or less - 135 L is more than enough.
Inflatable boards are less stable because they have rounded edges. They are also less efficient when trying to accelerate and get up on foil. Soft boards absorb energy instead of transferring to the foil. Round edges don't track straight and true. Learning to wing on an inflatable board makes a hard sport even more difficult.

General rule for first board = your weight in KiloGrams +40.
200 lbs = 90 kg. 90 + 40 = 130 liters.

If you're young, athletic, and have prior foiling experience or windsurfing - you can go 10-20 liters smaller.

If you're old, out of shape, and no prior foiling experience - good luck.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 21, 22 7:59 pm     Reply with quote

My bet is if you stick with the learning curve through the challenge of a floppy board, you'll be that much better when you right-size to a 'hard' board. I'm 185# learning on a 127l crossover (SUP/windfoil/wing) with a 1750 and I suspect the 130l inflatable is plenty for you, but I also haven't heard what size front wing you're on. You've probably already heard you want a large and stable front wing to learn on, generally appropriate for your size (weight).
Last edited by shred_da_gorge on Sat Jul 23, 22 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Brian H

Since 08 Aug 2015
54 Posts

PostFri Jul 22, 22 2:36 am     Reply with quote

I’m learning on a 135 liter JP Australia inflatable which has hard edges on the back of the board . This thing is awesome for learning, so easy to climb up on and taxi on my knees for a couple days learning to handle the wing then on my 3rd day with 15 kts and a 5m I was up flying and I had no problems with the board releasing from the water . So I think a good inflatable make a difference. I’m 61 yr old and 145lb

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostFri Jul 22, 22 5:56 am     Reply with quote

WHAA? Shocked Shocked

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jul 22, 22 6:54 am    Inflatable Board Reply with quote

Ok - I'm old, 66, weigh 210, have windsurf experience.

Good advice all around - thanks. I think I stay with what I have for the time being, beat through and then get something more appropriate.

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 22, 22 7:36 am     Reply with quote

blowhard wrote:

WHAA? Shocked Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 22, 22 10:22 am     Reply with quote

Yep at your weight I'd stick with that board and don't hesitate to go out in some solid wind. It will become much more stable as soon as it starts moving in the water.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Jul 22, 22 12:46 pm     Reply with quote

I learned (sort of) on my Sunova 8' SUP foil board 144L. I say "sort of" because it was so easy to get up on foil my first session. Now I am finding a groove with my new 110L.

When I first got the SUP foil for surfing I struggled, but after learning to wing on it, I took it out in the waves and did much better surf foiling it.

Something to consider....

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 22, 22 8:36 pm     Reply with quote

Whatever gear you use try to go a lot. I’m seeing folks learn from just about every background. The common denominator being, “go every chance you get.”

With that you’ll get it.

Period

The fact that you took the time and effort to learn to windsurf says it all—not easy and gotta be committed to it.

Eric

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: